Shotguns

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I don’t like holding my racking arm out so far like with a conventional 40” plus long shotgun. I find it extremely fatiguing after shooting a couple boxes of shot shells. (Edit- due to multiple shoulder dislocations over the years)

The other issue with a longer gun is try swinging (turning) around abruptly in extremely dense forest and undergrowth without smashing the barrel into branches and trees. Like this

I like the bullpup design because it’s only 2’ long and tucks every thing (barrel, barrel end, arms) closer and tighter into the body.

I know mossberg has a bullpup kit for the 500. But it jacks the weight up to 8 lbs empty and about 9lbs loaded

And for the record, I’m not gaga over the KSG just because Wick used one. I didn’t even clue in that’s what he used. I’m attracted to it because of the 6lb weight, 26” overall length, and it doesn’t have a huge height to it like some of the other bullpup shotguns

Either way, got lots of time to research. Current backlog for firearm licences up here is over a year plus now.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Zeek and Hammer like this.
  2. Hammer

Hammer Member

I get that. The compactitude is certainly the appeal with bullpups.

[​IMG]

STPNWLF, Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  3. C99c

C99c Member

There was a time when certain Keltec models were a valid option. The P3At, P32 and whatever their single stack 9mm was called weren't ultra reliable. They were smaller, lighter and cheaper than most of the other available options, which weren't ultra reliable either. Instead of building on that slight advantage, they just kept building the same thing.
    The market had exploded with small, reliable options in multiple calibers before they decided to bring out anything new.

Do they offer some neat ideas? Yes. The folding thing that takes Glock mags is fun to play with. Do they offer anything worth staking one's life on given other options? No. They aren't Taurus, but only by a notch or two.

If I'm not mistaken, SBSs require no special paperwork or license in Canada like they do in the U.S. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So one could buy a proven pump or semi auto from Mossberg, Remington or Benelli with a 12" or 14" barrel, find slugs that it likes and be set for dealing with large critters. Or you can play around with gimmicky crap from a company that puts out a lot of unreliable, gimmicky crap.

And the fact that some LE organization somewhere might be testing them means nothing. If you talk to anyone who has been in LE for very long, especially large organizations, you'll find that they test a lot of silly crap for various reasons. Then, 99% of the time they go buy proven designs from quality manufacturers to issue. The other 1% of the time they just end up later dumping the gimmicky crap and buying proven designs from quality manufacturers.

And yes I've fired one. Two actually. A friend likes stuff like it. He's on his second one because Keltec couldn't make his first one work. And the second one has been very finicky. He also has a PMR. To his credit, he actually carries a Ruger Sp101 because he knows the difference between serious tools and toys.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    JV3, Bushman5, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Govt tested here, more 870s ordered after. About all I can say Bushy.

JV3, Bushman5, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  5. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

JV3, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

All right that’s what I want to hear guys! Actual reasons why, not just brand fandom.

———————————-

@koolaidnd , I’ve used that model many times while camping with my buddy that hunts and target shoots. It’s a great shotgun. Just not one I would want to try and maneuver or use in dense thick forest where I can barely move.....let alone trying to work the shotgun thru the branches .

I do like that model . Just not what I’m after for the areas I hike in.

So the KSG is no good , what about the Bullpup Kit for the Mossberg 500 12 gauge???

I really don’t want the pistol grip stubby Mossberg (reg or marine version ) ..... I prefer to have the butt firmly planted on my shoulder.

Zeek and koolaidnd like this.
  7. Neilsen

Neilsen Member

8. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Because your Canadian you’ll be able to get a shorter barrel easier then we can. Get a 12” or 14” barrel and shorter LOP stock. That’ll shave off some length.

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ I believe you are right about that, although I'm flipping thru the regulations adn trying to take all the legalese in...........

weight is a also serious issue for me. My webbing rig is already pushing 30-40lbs <<<<its brutal to hike on some of the trails and off trails , even with a low center of gravity webbing rig. Adding another 6- 10 lbs is going to seriously impede my movement (ok let me explain...I know some of you Military guys have humped 100+ LB packs in serious heat and cold and terrain, but our terrain up here is something else. ) I can scale back some weight on the gear I carry, but i will not scale back water, safety gear etc. I'm really trying to find a very compact shotgun (26" or less total length) that weighs less than 7 lbs. You might notice I have not been carrying the big knives lately, even though i want to......

can I set some parameters for my wants?

- must be Canada legal (Non-Restricted or Restricted - I am applying for both
    - 26" or less total length
    - sub 8 lb weight.
    - manual or semi auto
    - mags ok
    - prefer bull pup
    - will consider pistol grip but not the goofy pirate knob stock Mossberg
    - 12 gauge, 3"

Zeek likes this.