Shotguns

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Stone

Stone Member

Hahahhahaa ... oh, best laughs of my day so far. Thanks :)

KMCM (and others), please tell me more about nasty hobittses. I get it -- I understand the necessity of good fit in a long gun -- but it seems part of that is getting the LOP right, especially when variability in layers is involved, and the dangers of too short and too long. And I'm learning from all you who are more experienced.

2. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Well there are many ways too look at it. DNA alteration might be a possibility. Getting measured by a British chap with a try gun, or trial and error. Splicing human genes into yours is something I know little of. I am thinking that you are not flying to London today for a meeting at Purdy's so get one of those slip on recoil pads and put cardboard for extra length... sorry that was my human speech never mind.

Remove your pad and drill two 1/4" holes into your stock about 3" deep. Now saw off the back of the stock shorter than your desired length. Shoot it and decide. Lengthen for testing with the pad mentioned above. When decided glue the appropriate piece of wood bac on using dowel rods to keep it straight.

Zeitgeist and Stone like this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

OK, I've read once, quickly -- but I must get to work now, so I'll read more carefully later after work tonight. I get the gist though. Danke.

4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Good Lord What is that?! The Devils derringer? I forget the company name but they had derringer's in 410ga, 45lc, 357mag, ect. I initially thought the 410 might be handy for water moccasins swimming up to the kayak, small so you could keep it in a pocket. I lit off a 45lc a friend had....once. And that changed my mind about ever wanting a derringer's!

Stone likes this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....I have fired something quite similar out here, taken from an armed robbery crew. A little nastier, had a almost vertical pistol grip on the back and a little more barrel (maybe 1/3 of the original forend length). It had either broken a trigger at one point or it was a "genius" who thought to remove one trigger and weld the bases of both triggers together. It resulted in mostly both barrels at once but if you clenched up just right and invoked the ghost of Ned Kelly you could squeeze off one barrel and follow up with the second. Maybe it was a training aid for our F88s (Australian AUG) and their two stage trigger pulls...

Stone and Strigidae like this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Member

Zeitgeist and Stone like this.
  7. Stone

Stone Member

What a great video. Kind of a Frankie McDonald for shotguns, but with a better sense of humor.

Zeitgeist and Zeek like this.
  8. Zeek

Zeek Member

Clint Smith is the man... no doubt.

Zeitgeist likes this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

"Don't shoot sh!t in the dark"

Zeitgeist likes this.
  10. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

I have one of those in 20 Not quite that pretty. I could run out all three rounds likety split.

11. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg
    Speaking of SBS I found this in my photo collection. Have no idea what it is.

Zeek likes this.
  12. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg image.png Mossberg had these at SHOT . Buds had them for around $400, on back order.
    Since its 26.5 LOA it has a 14 inch barrel so it's classified as a "firearm".
    It will take the short shells.
    I've dumped 5 rounds rapid fire from a Mossberg Cruiser 12 with a pistol grip before. It wasn't as dramatic on the shooting end as I anticipated. Three of us did it sequence. The barrel was untouchably hot....how do I know?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Zeek and anrkst6973 like this.
  13. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Without Clint Smiths input I came to the same iterative conclusion over a period of time and experimentation. My basis was a Mossberg Mav that my Son gave me some years ago. It came with a 26 barrel? I had no plans to hunt with it. At the time I didn't have a HD/PD shotgun so I decided to develop something. I bought a vented (I liked the look) 18 inch with chokes.
    Put a sling a few extra rounds and a light on it. The cuff is not ideal, too slow.
    The safety is on the trigger guard which is fine since my muscle memory is 870.
    I've shot thousands of rounds through my 870 and never short stroked it. Could it happen? Certainly possible.
    For now, if I'm going for a shotgun, this is it. image.jpeg image.jpeg

14. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Ohhhh myyyy! I live in an open carry state..the law says it must be in a holster. :D betcha I could get a drop down mares leg in leather or Kydex. Stone! Where are you?!!

Zeek likes this.
  15. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg
    If I were going to buy something tomorrow it would be a Mossberg JM 22 inch 9 round Semiauto.

Zeek likes this.
  16. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Stones waiting on the 20. Which would be pretty cool.

17. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Ok. Back to reality. When it came to acquiring shotguns my choices have been pretty haphazard.
    I haven't bought one for years, ceptin one that was part of an estate sale.
    My shot gunning history Began with a Christmas gift Mossberg bolt action 20 when I was 14. An acceptable age to hunt rabbits, pheasant and grouse in front of Dad and Uncle and behind two beagles. We did that for a few years until the suburbs took over the cornfields and all the farm relatives sold their land or died in SW Michigan.
    Never got into deer hunting with a shotgun in the lower peninsula.

I figured my hunting days were over.

In the mid 70s freshly married my bride and I parted out for Idaho for no particular reason other than we had never been there before. We ended up with teaching jobs in Parma, ID. 40 miles from civilization known as Boise. And at The confluence of the Boise and Snake Rivers.
    SW Idaho isn't all that exotic. It is the Western end of the agricultural breadbasket known as the Treasure Valley.
    Primarily rolling hills with farms and ranches. The mountains are north and east. To the west are the rugged hills of Oregon.

We rented a small house from some friendly folk who farmed 2000 acres. In addition they farmed another 1000 acres of leased land. Hops, sugar beets, onions, wheat, some corn, woods on the rivers, ponds, fallow fields, well if by now you are beginning to get the picture that the hunting might be pretty decent, that would have been a monumental understatement. I had died, gone to heaven, and had landed in a hunting/sportsman's paradise!

I had the good fortune of being befriended by our Landlords Son. A 19 year old spoiled and disliked by the locals, this young feller took a hankering to me. Perhaps I became the brother he never had. Perhaps he became the brother I lost.
    We spent the next four years joined at the hip. We hunted from the time dove season opened until the last goose fell in winter. Dove, quail, pheasant, duck, goose and chukar in the Oregon foothills.

I didn't have barely two cents to rub together at the time. I started hunting with the young dukes Winchester 12 gauge pump, but I knew I had to have a shotgun I could call my own. Saving up enough on a young teachers pay took a few months. I finally pulled together the $250 and went to the local hardware, drug and sporting goods store.
    It must have called to me as I don't remember even considering another gun. Maybe it was all they had? Maybe it was all I could afford. For some reason 42 years has erased that buying memory. It served me well for four years. In the field, blind, sneak boat, or hills of Oregon. When duck season started I moved up to 3 inch....

1974 Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge, full choke,
    24 inch barrel, pump chambered in three inch with a vented rib.

I don't think I could have made a better choice. It was as if I actually knew what I was needing to cover all the bases (except geese) with one gun.

Some weekends I felt like a (legal) market hunter. We ate well and did the earth abide.
    Four of the best years of our life, including backpacking, skiing, partying and travel.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    artigas likes this.
  18. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

19. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    A couple years into the four years in Idaho I came into my brief gun running period. We would go back east in the summer. I would seek out Belgium made Brownings. Buy low take them back to Idaho and sell them where there was a good market for the non Japanese made guns.
    This is one I kept.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  20. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg A couple years ago I bought an estate sale lot and one of the guns was the Remington predecessor to the Browning.

Zeitgeist, artigas and Zeek like this.