Shotguns

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Always loved the Model 11. The Browning design first made in the US.

Not sure what exactly you meant, but you already have the best home defense shotgun with that bottom one. Put on some Magpul furniture and you're good to go. If you want some other upgrades, buy the cheap 18" cylinder barrel, and mag tube extension, then maybe a big dot tritium sight. But, you wouldn't have to.

artigas and Zeitgeist like this.
  2. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg

11 and 5, A that is.

Zeitgeist, STPNWLF and jdh like this.
  3. Expat

Y'all ever hear the story of how John Moses shopped that humpback design around? Very interesting how series of events can be strange.

Stone and KMCMICHAEL like this.
  4. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I got one better. He never took royalties for the M-2 .50 cal from the government.

I am not a fan of the A-5. My father had a 11 and I never shot it well. I did much better with a model 12 Winchester.

5. Expat

Um, that's worse, not better.

I would think you of all people, would recognize the foolishness of that.

Get a government contract and manage your money from your 80 footer off the coast of Tortola.

6. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

It is still a bizarre event. I would like to think that the gov was better then than the 28 years of ass clownery that I witnessed but...likely not.

Or a nice little bungalow on the East side of Grand Caymen, if one can immigrate, taxes on outside earnings are tax free.

The island is not as nice as it used to be.

7. Expat

Wonder if I can get my TSP transferred tax free to a Cayman account....

8. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

...I am surprised you worked for uncle suger with all those facial tattoos? But no, I do not think that you can move them overseas.

But you can make that one time draw without the 10% penalty.

9. otis

otis Member

23826324_1629797507081789_5871902269010229879_o.jpg i'm getting pretty excited about this thing. might be my first 80%

combines mossberg parts with an ar15 trigger group, grip, and stock.

Zeitgeist, Dennis Adams and Zeek like this.
  10. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

New to me 1187 to keep my 870 company
    IMG_20190519_123722.jpg

jdh, koolaidnd, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Bull pup shotguns.......let’s see em, and hear what you like don’t like etc about them.

In a few months I’ll be sending in the paperwork for a firearms license up here.

I’ve been wanting a very small compact shotgun for years for bear safety when I bushwhack. I love bull pup designs and they are legal up here in Canada .

Yes I’m looking at the Keltec KSG , due to its 2 foot length, 7lb weight fully loaded with 12 x 3” slug shells.

Some have mentioned other bull pup shotguns

Big, bulky , heavy (12 lbs loaded)

Any other very light , very compact , bull pup shotguns you guys have used? Length is an issue,..........anything over 26” is going to snag up on tree branches and dense brush .

Zeek likes this.
  12. JV3

JV3 Member

mossberg shockwave legal up there? very compact.

Zeek likes this.
  13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I love my Tac14

Zeek and JV3 like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I would think long and hard before I relied upon a KSG for my life.

IW17, koolaidnd, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

ok hearing lots of nos for the KSG, but no info........

They are about to be adopted by several LEO response teams here, and those guys don;t take their testing lightly.

I want to hear why there is such a bias to the KSG? :)

I'm well aware that people have been injured (racking hand) by trying to rack and fire it too fast (hand slips off end and into the line of fire) <<<but thats not a quality issue , thats improper use by the user and is common with new users to the bull pup design

I'm aware the Kel-Tec (the company) was formerly Grendel.....and I think one other company previous to that. (both with poor reputations). But from what I've seen so far, Keltec has stepped up their game (maybe not so in Customer Service response time still...).

I'm also aware that they promise a lot of vapor-ware and don't deliver. But the KSG is in full mfg production now.

what other issues are there with the KSG? and I'd prefer to hear from actual owners/users of the KSG (no offense to anyone here)

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Zeek likes this.
  16. JV3

JV3 Member

hickok45 also says it's very easy to short it and the location of the feed port is awkward to clear jams.

buy the magpul dynamics shotgun dvd (probably only available on ebay since it was so long ag0) and see if you can do the maneuvers (like switching from #000 to slug and vice-versa when the unwanted ammo is already inside ready to go) and malfunction clearances they do with a bullpup...why slug? when the scenario just changed and you need to be effective at longer range.

watch the dvd please...last reply i'll make regarding the ksg :)

Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  17. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Dad has a keltec pmr-30. It is absolute garbage. Not to be trusted for any serious use. Doesn’t cycle, mags are problematic, keltec service is trash.

I could care less if a LEO agency uses something other then Glock. Remember their law enforcement and military gear is often the lowest bidder.

As for the gun, I’ve shot a couple of them. It is awkward and heavy. The balance didn’t do for me. Three characteristics that don’t favor a self Defence gun. I question the manual of arms with the twin mag tubes. Seems like a gimmick; ask yourself if you can reliably engage that switch if you’re under distress. I doubt I can but I know 100% that I can load a standard tube from on gun ammo storage. That skill is far more useful because it translates to other tube fed guns.

And if there’s even a chance that you’d use a KSG for hunting you’ll find it’s no good for wing shooting. Id go with a traditional layout gun. A mossberg 500 or 590a1 preferably

JV3, Bushman5 and Zeek like this.
  18. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Oh and bullpups in general are garbage. Remember that there’s an explosion happening under your cheek.

IW17, JV3 and Zeek like this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Will check out the DVD.

The Shockwave is legal up here , as well a regular short pistol grip (mossberg mariner etc). I’m not a fan of the funky shockwave “stock” though.

Would consider the DP-12, UTS-15 bullpups , weight is an issue though. Not keen on humping a heavy gun while trying to scramble up, over and thru stuff like this & this

I would be totally fine with the 590, I have shot it s lot with friends while camping and at outdoor Crown Land shooting areas. But that’s a different scenario from hiking

We are allowed detachable mag shotguns here, would consider one of those if it was super compact , light. Still prefer the bullpup design.

Zeek likes this.
  20. Hammer

Hammer Member

What is it about the bullpup design for shotguns that you prefer?

Bushman5 and Zeek like this.