Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. IW17

IW17 Member

Zeek, Bushman5 and Drew RedBear like this.
  2. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

IW17 likes this.
  4. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I’m done buying appliances this year.

Done.

Water heater: $700
    A/C system: $5100
    Garbage disposal:$230
    Parts to fix the **** I broke installing disposal: $100
    New washer and dryer: $1800

I ended up taking the washer apart again, had water on the floor again. Saw leaks coming out the bottom of the drum. Screw it, the thing is 10 years old and we wanted to go back to a top loading machine anyway.
    Kids are getting older, laundry piles are getting bigger.

Got a Maytag Bravos XL set. 5.3 cubic feet.
    Already sent in $50 rebate form for new energy saver washer to the power company.
    Going to send in $450 rebate (plus $100 installation rebate) to the gas company for switching to a gas dryer.

Plus we will sell the old dryer that still works fine, so will basically get the thing for a couple hundred bucks or less after all is said and done.

Still, no more purchases. Please....

Bushman5 and Drew RedBear like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Zeek, Dagwood and IW17 like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I think my local Pizza driver dude thinks I've lost it.....just tipped him a $20 spot!

to be fair, they made my pizza to my specs, with real (and TRIPLE) ingredients, and got it here FAST.

I work damn hard, get paid well, I dont mind treating the pizza driver well. Spread The Joy around!

koolaidnd, Zeek and Drew RedBear like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

My Cr2.5 is so dull I can’t even cut sewing thread with it...
    I DREAD sharpening anything...
    I really need a whole class on sharpening..

Zeek and OKcherokee like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Just buy another new knife :D

BigJake, RocketmanDane and Zeek like this.
  10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Bushman5
    I might have swapped to the wifeys...
    :)
    She won’t notice unless I tell her.

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  11. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

You’re not the only one.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  12. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

My daughter is going with my parents on a weekend road trip. That means sushi date night on Saturday!

IW17, Bushman5 and RocketmanDane like this.
  13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Send it to me. The edge pro professional is a beast of a system.

14. Kevo

Kevo Member

So I'm hyping myself up to get back into shape. Herniated a disk about a year ago, put off physical therapy for about as long as I could stand, and haven't been consistent in the gym since the injury. I'm still hiking, which is probably the only reason I'm not a full on balloon, but I'm up like 25lbs with less muscle than previous. Today is day 1 of getting back at it.

OKcherokee and Drew RedBear like this.
  15. JV3

JV3 Member

i highly recommend the spyderco sharpmaker. it might take awhile to sharpen your dull knives though but it will get it back to shaving sharp within 30 minutes in my experience even for very neglected (but no chips or anything like that). pony up for the ultra-fine stones if you want to skip multiple stropping compounds and just go for the basic strop setup (bark river black and green is all i use now) and maybe the diamond stones for chipped knives.

where it really shines is maintaining a real world use-case sharpness so long as you don't let your knives get crazy dull. it's biggest pro i think is it only takes a few minutes to teach a non-knife person to use it...something about teaching someone how to fish vs. giving them fish :)

i had an edge pro apex and sold it and still have the whole dmt diamond stones lineup but the sharpmaker is my most used along with the dmt diafold (fine & extra-fine for field maintenance).

if i only had to pick one sharpening setup though i'd go with the dmt diafold - $30'sh for the coarse & fine and another $30'sh for the fine & extra-fine (for field use) and i'd be set.

C99c and Kevo like this.
  16. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

Which angle on the sharpmaker for just touching up the edge?

JV3 likes this.
  17. Kevo

Kevo Member

Depends on the knife but I use the 30 degree side for kitchen knives and the 40 degree side for most other stuff.

JV3 likes this.
  18. C99c

C99c Member

I agree with this except I would buy the diamond stones before I would buy the UL fine. I think it's more valuable to new users than the ultra fine (or even the included white - fine) because if you're going from really dull it'll speed up the process a lot, but isn't so aggressive that you risk screwing stuff up.
    I pretty much never use my Sharpmaker fine stones, but that's just based on what I want out of my edges. I also very rarely strop anything and when I do its on a belt or cardboard, etc. I don't have any use for mirrored edges or feathering hairs or any of that stuff though. Just a personal preference/realistic for my daily uses outlook.

What rods work best for you will depend on your knives' steel and what kind of edge you want.

One fairly well known hack for the Sharpmaker to expand it's versatility in either direction is the use of binder clips and wet/dry sandpaper.

Honestly, while the SM sits on the kitchen counter and still gets used a lot to keep stuff sharp, lately I've been mostly using a Worksharp Field Sharpener and a Smith's Pocket diamond rod (I've been using these since I was 12 or so and just bought a new one to replace the one I've had for the last fifteen years. Probably the best $7 you can spend for a sharpening tool) more than anything just because I have more free time to sharpen and touch up on the go than while at home.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    JV3 likes this.
  19. JV3

JV3 Member

yup, that's usually what i go with.

20. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I remembered after I started reading the recent posts that I actually snagged a sharp maker out of one of the pass around boxes :) I had intended to try and start using it but I haven’t had a knife in need of sharpening since I snagged it. Now I’m going to have to dig around and locate it and give it a try.
    I also have a DMT sharpening set. I’m not sure what they are called but looks like a popsicle stick with a sharpening stone on one side of a end. I think I picked up about 6 different colors/ levels in the past. So I might give those a try.

Aside from the lack of sharpening experience I have a serious organization problem.. to many big moves and house repairs and other factors have spread my gear far and wide in my house... It might take a minute to get all my sharpening gear in one place...

Bushman5 likes this.