Machetes, Kukris & Hybrids

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Stone

Stone Member

I keep looking for ways to express some of the ... shall we say, mythical aspects of these blades artistically (to appease the muse in me) in a way that is consistent with the rules of the forum. So far, no luck.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    anrkst6973 likes this.
  2. Stone

Stone Member

<never mind>

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  3. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Well, I was thinking of this thread today, and it came to me that at one point James Gibson designed and made a kukri-esk blade. Wondering if.....yeah, not gonna get ahead of myself. Anyway I thought it looked pretty slick, so found a pic and I'm just gonna leave it here. As usual, James makes/designs awesome stuff! IMG_5371.JPG

anrkst6973, Stone and Strigidae like this.
  4. Stone

Stone Member

Wow. That's a beauty. I see that signature scalloped handle.

Caleb O likes this.
  5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

Cold Steel made a clip point as well, long long time ago. 10" long blade if memory is correct. Never got one though. :(

Stone and Caleb O like this.
  6. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

A beautiful take on the Kuk for sure. May have to order one at some point.

7. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Wow....almost kopis looking.

8. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Question: how many of the members have hands on experience with traditional (hand made) Nepali Kukris? Just wondering who has some dirt time on "the real deal" and what their thoughts are. Also who's (maker) kukri were you using? Thanks!

Stone likes this.
  9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

There's a guy on BC USA who is doing mission work somewhere. Has pics in a thread all about kuk's in the Edged tools sub forum. Check it out.

10. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

;) I remember, all those years ago when I first took my LTC out of its shipping box, I stood in my bedroom just kind of idly swinging this oddly shaped blade back and forth, that initial fascination has never left me. I bet I still take my Kuk out at least once a day, now in its 3rd...4th (?) version, and find joy in some small task..every day.

Stone and Bushman5 like this.
  11. Stone

Stone Member

^That's^ a big part of what I have in mind when I write of "mythical aspects". Nowadays, when I acquire a new knife -- whether fixed or folder -- or axe of any kind (hatchet to full-sized), I almost always appreciate it, find some level of fascination with it. But each new one fits my mental model of what those -- knife, axe -- is; it's a new version on an old model.

With this makuk, it's different. My fascination with it extends much deeper than my normal response to new blades. It's because it's so different from the others (not other makuks or machetes, but other blades). I'm discovering a whole new ... niche of uses for it that overlap with knives and axes, but in different ways. Right now, for example, for the kind of wood chopping that I do, I'm finding more comfort with this than with any hatchet or axe I've owned. (I get to why another time.)

But there's something more than just my fascination with it as a utility tool. There's something mythical there that I think relates to the use of these tools historically as weapons. Their sheer ... ferocity -- for lack of a better word for now. A couple of times recently, I've thought: If the gods of combat and steel commanded that I had to face either a knife, an axe or a makuk/machete in the hands of an attacker (I'll leave out spear for now), but gave me a choice of which one, last on my list would be a makuk.

I'm exploring some resources on the web -- videos -- that explore that intersection of utility and combat. Found some interesting examples, but not ready to post any yet. Downstream ....

Oh, and yes, for me, also: makuk stays nearby when I'm working in the studio (which I call "base camp", since it's more of a studio in a camp than an apartment), and several times per day/evening, I ... examine it, exercise with it, explore grips, and otherwise get to know it.

anrkst6973 likes this.
  12. Stone

Stone Member

Here's a question for 21:03 on a Saturday evening in September.

What would happen if you paired a makuk in one hand with a dagger in the other?

{A pic illustrating the idea will appear later ... but not tonight.}

13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

hack an arm off with a down stroke, then dagger to the chest or side to finish it.

:D

STPNWLF likes this.
  14. Stone

Stone Member

^ hypothesis 1 ^

:)

15. Stone

Stone Member

Something significant came into my mind this afternoon about why I find this makuk so natural for me.

I've been a stick guy since age 10 or so. I cut my first sticks to protect myself against bullies then,
    but also for walking sticks. At some point, 30 years ago, I learned that walking sticks make good SD weapons.

(Study Irish fighting sticks; Glen Doyle is the best, IMO.)

These days, my fav SD sticks are 18', 1"+ diam, or 60"+ walking stick with a boar spear head.

This makuk is 19.7", and just slightly heavier than my short one..
    It's the weight of a hatchet, but spread out more like a stick
    with a 13" sharp edge along one side that won't be messed with.

It yields similar dynamics to my slightly shorter sticks.

PLUS, it has two -- count 'em, two -- flat sides that can whop an overly confident, testosterone-driven dude with anger-management issues up 'side th' face, and that's better -- if it works to stop him (less legalities :oops:) -- than a sharp edge.

!!WHOP!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Bushman5 likes this.
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Somehow I got my reply inside of your original post, and I can't fix it. Expand the quote and its above the WHOP!! ;)

Stone likes this.
  17. Stone

Stone Member

!!!!! WHOP !!!!!

:cool:

anrkst6973 likes this.
  18. Stone

Stone Member

Ok, it's Saturday night, after 10 pm (22:00) on ESEE Forum.

I may delete this tmw (if a mod or admin tells me to).

But for now, this (Santana, Soul Sacrifice) is what my makuk sounds like .

Metaphorically. It's all metaphor, right?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  19. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I'm generally not a big fan of kukris or kukri-shaped machetes. I'd take a different approach to short-bladed choppers, like heavy panga and bolo models, but when done right, they do pack a lot of power into a short package. I just like a more readily versatile blade shape. I know you can do a lot with a kukri with sufficient skill, but it's way easier to do most of those same off-label tasks when using different blade shapes. :)

anrkst6973 and Stone like this.
  20. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

T.A. Dean, B-1913, D-1987. He was 28 when the US entered WW2. 56 when I was born. Those old time Texans where hard as woodpecker lips and you did not want them getting a jacknife out on you, they knew how to use it. For the record the knives both Dad and Uncles called "jacknife" was a single blade clip point folder of rather large size, with blades of 4-5". They used them from a low position, point angled downward from about waist height. Years later I would compare them to the Navja of gypsy fame. Totally off topic I know. ;)

Stone likes this.