Winter 4x4ing - good things to have in the rig

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Bushman5, Jan 2, 2017.

1. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Extra gasoline and perhaps a jar of moonshine (the stronger the better)...not sure if its true but my dad told me a few guys he knew were out 4x4ing and drinking and ran out of gas. They poured the rest of their shine into the gas tank and were able to get back home...

2. NaughtiusMaximus

NaughtiusMaximus Member

I grew up in a "snow state" and despite all the snow we did get, I'd never heard of such a shovel. Thanks for the most basic of info. I have not even made it past your first suggestion in your post and I'm alteady looking for an important addition to my truck.

3. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

Battery booster/jump starter.

There are basically two classes of required gear here, the tools and equipment to get yourself unstuck, repair the vehicle, etc., and the gear needed to maintain life in sub-freezing temperatures.

I would add signaling devices:
    Backup battery for cellphone.
    ESEE Signal Panel(s)
    Flashlight with strobe function

Here is the required survival equipment list for Alaskan aviators. I think they amended this, but after 30 seconds of searching I couldn't find the update and gave up.

AS 02.35.110. Emergency Rations and Equipment.

(a) An airman may not make a flight inside the state with an aircraft unless emergency equipment is carried as follows:

(1) the following minimum equipment must be carried during the summer months:

(A) rations for each occupant sufficient to sustain life for one week;
    (B) one axe or hatchet;
    (C) one first aid kit;
    (D) an assortment of tackle such as hooks, flies, lines, and sinkers;
    (E) one knife;
    (F) fire starter;
    (G) one mosquito headnet for each occupant;
    (H) two small signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, railroad fuses, or Very pistol shells, in sealed metal containers;

(2) in addition to the equipment required under (1) of this subsection, the following must be carried as minimum equipment from October 15 to April 1 of each year:

(A) one pair of snowshoes;
    (B) one sleeping bag;
    (C) one wool blanket or equivalent for each occupant over four.

(b) However, operators of multi-engine aircraft licensed to carry more than 15 passengers need carry only the food, mosquito nets, and signalling equipment at all times other than the period from October 15 to April 1 of each year, when two sleeping bags, and one blanket for every two passengers shall also be carried. All of the above requirements as to emergency rations and equipment are considered to be minimum requirements which are to remain in full force and effect, except as further safety measures may be from time to time imposed by the department.

Zeek, Strigidae and Bruno_GO like this.
  4. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

In case you get stuck overnight
    IMG_3474.JPG

Zeek likes this.
  5. wallygame

wallygame Member

Nice list of necessities. In terms of tires, I'm just wondering if there's anyone here tried using a set of Nitto tires. I wasn't able to purchase a new set of tires so I have to use the set I borrowed from a friend.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I carry a large tote of bone dry maple firewood , red cedar kindling, buncha fatwood and a box of book matches and my homemade fire starter mixture in my rigs, plus a Estwing ax and a arborist hand saw. I do my best to NOT USE IT, unless i need to.

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

this plus more including a rifle / ammo is carried by Canadian bush plane pilots.

Datilite and 5col like this.