Winkler Belt Knife - First impressions

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Reno Lewis, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Just some initial thoughts and pics.

This is a Winkler Belt Knife in 80CRV2 steel and micarta.

I haven't been as enamored with a blade as I am with this Winkler in a long, long time.

I even forgot to make my coffee this morning when I received it, due to being too busy fondling it:p

The masterful mix of traditional design and stylings, with modern materials and technology is just awesome.

I absolutely love the sheath on this too. HEAVY kydex sandwiched between high quality top grain leather on the outside, and suede inside. Super secure retention, smooth and quiet draw and re-sheathing, and it offers so many carry options with the included accessories.

Plus, I plan on making at least two different belt loops for it. One leather backer/loop for standard vertical strong side belt carry (dropped down a tad), and one for diagonal cross draw. Diagonal cross draw is also possible to set up with the included kydex plate and a Tek Lok.

It's just such a classy, yet mean looking blade. Almost has a claw-esque appearance to it, which I really dig. The filework jimping is a classy, and really functional touch as well. It just oozes badassery.

Handle design is perfect for my hands. My first tapered tang too, which I'm really liking.

The edge actually isn't as thick as I was expecting. It's roughly the same, if not a tad thinner than a stock ESEE 4.

To me, the man or company behind a blade means just as much as the blade itself, and the history and rapport of Winkler blades needs no introduction. They're carried and trusted by some of the world's best. They're badass, full stop.

Daniel Winkler himself, by all accounts is humble gentleman, and cares about his customers. His customer service has been well documented over the years, and is quite simply phenomenal.

Overall, this knife has a true heirloom feel to it, if that makes sense. I love it.

And no, I have no intentions of selling this. If I do end up finding something wrong with it that I just can't live with, I'll simply return it for a refund.

Though, I can normally spot something I don't like right off the bat. Haven't found anything yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

There is something about that blade that makes it look at home on a navy seal or a guy with a beard and a bear coat

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

love the sheaths.

i'll get one some day. Probably the same one, not really a fan of wood scales.

4. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

You seldom see “Buschcrafters” with Winkler knives yet he has trouble keeping up with demand. You won’t find any better folks than Dan and his wife. She did make all the sheaths at one point.

I like Dan because he is not surrounded by a bunch of fabricated hoopla to sell product.

5. Who dares wins

Who dares wins Member

I own the belt knife, blue ridge hunter, hunter, field knife, and a ranger hawk all great tools

6. DYSPHORIC JOY

7. Benson X

Benson X Member

Excellent write-up and pics, Reno! I've wanted to check out one of those Belt Knives for a while now; even moreso after reading your review! :)

8. HelRaiser

HelRaiser Member

Obviously it's because non-bushcrafters keep breaking their knives, and they have to continuously buy new ones. Don't you worry, one day they'll learn how to use a knife, and they'll know well enough to stay away from anything that isn't made of exotic wood and steel scavenged from spare car parts. /s :D

9. Reno Lewis

Thanks guys. @DYSPHORIC JOY, It looks like you've got a good boy there. That's rare these days.

I did end up finding a single "flaw" with my Belt knife. The secondary bevel was slightly lopsided.

So, I hit the stones. Perfectly symmetrical, slightly convexed secondary now which will send hairs fleeing in terror.

I also took the time to carry it around all night last night in the stock configuration, and I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would.

This blade doesn't even feel like a new knife. When I'm holding it, it's almost like I've been reunited with a long lost friend. It just feels natural.

*NOTE, the change in color on the blade in the last pic is just where the masking tape was when I was sharpening, not a flaw in the finish*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DYSPHORIC JOY

I will make sure that Winkler hears about the lopsided bevel. He will not sleep for a week and will hover over the employees for a month. :D

11. DYSPHORIC JOY

12. Reno Lewis

You know, after seeing his customer service in action, I wouldn't even doubt he'd try to send me a new knife for it. Haha.

It's no big deal though. Being able to put it on the stones also let me "feel" the steel, if that makes sense, which is valuable info to have.

HelRaiser and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  13. DYSPHORIC JOY

09EC88E9-F47E-485D-848C-2682803216AB.jpeg
    Recently refinished utility.

Kaw-liga, Zeek, HelRaiser and 3 others like this.
  14. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

UNEven!?!?!?!! Better send it to me for disposal.

15. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

These knives have definitely caught my attention and I'm definitely interested in one now. However I have to know exactly what makes it an almost $600 knife here in Canada? They definitely tick all the boxes for looking like quality, ergonomic and just awesome but I'm curious if there is something aside from holding one in your hand that sells these bad boys?

16. DYSPHORIC JOY

I couldn’t tell you. Tapered tang, Caswell finish and so forth. I was at a shop the other day looking at some new knives and my son was looking at a few new Winklers. A guy walks up and asks my son about them and bought 3 on the spot. Cheapest one was $469.

There is a lot that comes with a Winkler. People have told me that the JUNGLAS is a rip-off at 150+

Where can you find a chunk of 1095 with that sheath quality for under $150?

Grey Falcon, Zeek, HelRaiser and 3 others like this.
  17. DYSPHORIC JOY

I apologize @Reno Lewis. I didn’t mean to hijack your thread. Seems to be a pattern with your posts. Will take the discussion to another thread if necessary.

The Marsh Gorilla and Reno Lewis like this.
  18. Reno Lewis

An understandable question, and I think it comes down to personal opinion.

Take into account that we do pay a premium here, but it also means we don't have to worry about insane international shipping charges and import fees. In general, we're kinda screwed here as far as knife prices go, one way or the other.

I mean, hell, I paid $300 CAD for my ESEE 5, Junglas 2 etc.

That said, I'm absolutely satisfied with my Winkler even after paying the premium. I've only ever felt this sense of heirloom quality with a handful of blades in the past, included in that are my Pasi Hurtilla customs and my old (no longer in my possession, regretfully) Randal model 14.

To me, it's quality over quantity these days. I can easily go spend $600 on cheaper blades, and have 2 or 3 really good knives. But the sense of quality you get with a Winkler, or a Randall, or a Hurtilla custom just isn't there.

Actual tangible features for me include the overall design, the steel, 80CRV2 (amazing), the sheath system, the Caswell finish, the tapered tang, the ergonomics, filework jimping, the fact that they are individually handmade, the man behind the blades and the history and rapport of the blades themselves.

This is the sort of knife you could stake your life on.

I received a full years worth of back payments for missed tax refund cheques not long ago, and I decided to treat myself. I was trying to decide between this Winkler and a CRK when I saw a Carothers HDFK for sale in BC, and deiced to jump on it. Ultimately, I ended up selling the HDFK back to the seller before even receiving it for numerous reasons, none of which due to the knife itself. Ultimately, it was just the right thing to do.

I got the HDFK in two days ago, and got to play with it a bit before shipping it back. It was a phenomenal blade, with a great design, amazing fit and finish and killer steel. But there was just something that felt cold about it, at least to me.

Most CNC made items do, but that's arguable and personal.

As a craftsman who makes things by hand, and takes the time to do things right and make sure his customers are happy no matter what, I value those traits in a maker more than anything. Dan Winkler, from all accounts, is the epitome of that.

I decided that morning that I wanted the Winkler over the CRK, and called W&W up to ask for a couple pics before ordering. They were absolutely swamped when I called, but Brandon was able to shoot me a few pics, and I immediately called him back and ordered it without hesitation, and I'm glad I did.

Even with all those perks with the Carothers, I'm far happier with this Winkler, and do not regret my decision at all.

In fact, I'm starting to want one of Winkler's hawks. :eek:

19. Reno Lewis

DAMN!

Did not mean to let that get that long.

My bad.

20. Reno Lewis

I don't see any hijacking here. I love pics, keep em coming!