The Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. JMJ

JMJ Member

Agreed I've had a trend for the last 6 or 7 years where I've sold/traded a few shotguns and a G23c to fund firearms I'd use more for the type of hunting I do now. If it sits in my safe unused longer than a couple years it's gone.

GaryMc likes this.
  2. FlintRiver

FlintRiver Member

I also love this rifle , have been seriously considering purchasing one but my ar15/10 addiction is to great as of late but I want one. My only problem is I expect it to be MOA or sub MOA or it should be fairly easy to get there. To me only accurate guns are interesting.

GaryMc likes this.
  3. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I believe you just quoted Townsend Whelen, another firearm great.

I think many guys are getting MOA or better on their Scout. It's just not something I worry about. I'm happy with Minute of Critter.

JMick, CooterJohnson and GaryMc like this.
  4. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I am on my third iteration of scout rifle. The first was a Mauser 98. I got one of those Israili step barrels in .308 short chambered. I had access to a mill and a lathe at work and someone to oversee my work. We squared the action, chambered it and milled the barrel flat in front of the action for the scope. It shot great but was heavy and I never liked the forward mounted scope. The second was just a Remington model 7 with a light scope in .308. It kicked like hell and heated up quickly when plinking or at the bench. The third is my current. It is a CZ 527 in 7.62 X 39. It is a miniature Mauser action, has an 18" bbl and a single set trigger. It wears a Leupold pig plex in 1x4. It has mild recoil, does not heat quickly, has shot groups of 1". I shoot it a lot. Shells are cheap. Everyone has their preferences. This fills my idea of an all around rifle or scout rifle.

Zeek, Delkancott, GaryMc and 2 others like this.
  5. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

I wanted a Steyr Scout in the worst way a few years back. Felt real nice in the shop.

GaryMc likes this.
  6. FlintRiver

FlintRiver Member

I once had a Savage 110 tactical I believe it was that I bought in a pawn shop, it was the first rifle I had ever shot with a nice trigger. It really showed me how much accuracy depends on a good trigger. Not long after that 17hmr came out and I bought a Savage 93r17 with the accutrigger and started hunting the pecan orchards for a buddy . Crows , squierels , coons and possums feared me. lol.

Delkancott, GaryMc and JMJ like this.
  7. charles bower

charles bower Member

My scout rifle violates two components of Cooper's concept. I shoot a Springfield M1A Scout and its fairly heavy and semi-auto. Still, a solid rifle. I just put a scope on it so I need to hit the range and sight it in.

8. Expat

It does violate Cooper's concept. But that is one fine rifle!

(I've read Chatwin's books, too.)

CooterJohnson likes this.
  9. charles bower

charles bower Member

If I could go back I'd buy the Ruger Gunsite Scout instead, but you can't beat semi-auto for rapid follow-up shots.

Solo likes this.
  10. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Its not fitting to have a Scout Rifle thread without mentioning Coopers .376 Steyr "Dragoon". Anyone have one?

11. TrailWolf

TrailWolf Member

Any of you guys get some time with the Savage 11 scout? A tad more affordable than the GSR. Was considering picking one up last week, but added AR #6 instead.

I'm a lever guy and after owning a 336 (my deer rifle), 1894 in 357 and 1895 sbl (one with ghost rings and rail), I'm not sure I'd prefer the scout type over one of the Marlins, especially the 45-70. I think the detachable mag would be the only big advantage? If you like detachable mags. I'm in the woods so no long shots, the 308 cartridge and accuracy out to 125 yards is a moot point with these guys I feel. Follow up shots are definitely quicker w the lever.

But damn are those gsr scouts just nice...

JMJ likes this.
  12. Expat

If I didn't have my Ruger Scout, I'd be carrying a 336 in .35 Remington.

I have not personal knowledge of the Savage Scout, but James Yeager just did a very thorough series of the rifle while he documented his training out at Gunsite. There are like 10 videos or more on youtube.

13. chorpie

chorpie Member

Depending on your fanaticism, the new model 11 savage scout rifle either 1) is a scout rifle, or 2) is an abomination.

I'll let you figure out who thinks what. I'd like to shoot and handle one, but I can't stand having different rifles with different magazines. The AR, and the GSR are it for me. Any other rifle with detachable magazines that I get will either have to take AR mags, or AI mags.

JMJ likes this.
  14. Expat

15. ozbushy

ozbushy Member

Styre actions smooth as frogs hair

16. cosmophonic12

cosmophonic12 Member

I picked up mine last month and have not shot it yet. I like to keep it simple so I am sticking with iron sights on mine.

[​IMG]

JMJ and charles bower like this.
  17. Expat

1. My 870 is set up the same way

2. Nice cooler!

18. charles bower

charles bower Member

3. I would love a PS90 but the availability of ammo...

Now if I could get one in 9mm that would be great.

19. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

What is that bullpuppish one in the middle?

20. charles bower

charles bower Member

FN PS90. It shoots a 5.7. They're a ton of fun, ambidextrous, and super comfortable. They look even cooler as a SBR. Its a part of the Secret Service armory too since they can be concealed a little easier under coats.

CooterJohnson likes this.