The Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I had one of the Savage "Scouts" and loooooved it! Alas, after its loss I have not ever gotten or even seen another. IMHO Savage hit the ball out of the park with the Accu-Trigger, I have 2 of the standard model 11's with decent optics and any creature from 25 to 500 that is lined up will be eliminated in short order.

JMJ likes this.
  2. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

3. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

Barrel nuts are nice. Everyone should loosen and properly retorque their Savage because they usually come too tight from the factory. Accuracy might improve.

JMJ likes this.
  4. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

@Bcamos was nice and bought me a Galco Safari Ching Sling for my scout rifle. I'm super excited about getting out and training with this thing. It certainly makes it more stable. The issue for me right now is getting it adjusted and practicing with it until getting into it is smooth and second nature. It's not as automatic as I thought.

I already learned a few things watching Il Ling at Gunsite.

Delkancott, JMJ and Bcamos like this.
  5. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I've always wanted a scout rifle, I love the mossberg offerings due to the fact they take ar15/ar10/m14 mags, however, ruger offers there rifle in a left handed version which would be nice. However, until I am able to get one of these this will have to hold me over

[​IMG]

1945 Lee Enfield No.5 Jungle Carbine in .303 British

Why not a scout rifle persay, it fills the same niche

6. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I only have my .22 scout so far, but you guys have me wanting a 308 bad. Time to start shopping.

JMJ likes this.
  7. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

It takes a little practice getting in and out of it. I also found what worked at home, didn't work as good in the field when I had multiple layers. Once you get it tailored to your body, it almost as good as shooting sticks. I thought the T-studs would fall out, but three years later and lot of hunts, they are still in place.

8. Expat

Thats good to know because I had the same thought about the studs

9. Expat

Some discussion on a not-exactly Scout rifle but very practical all around rifle

Delkancott and KMCMICHAEL like this.
  10. Val_Trompia

Val_Trompia Member

yeah I've considered the Tikka, have not seen one in person and not sure about the weight. With modern scopes I don't know that the forward mounted scope and back up irons is that big a deal. There are plenty of tough scopes. I think they are available in 260 and 308.

11. Expat

I agree. Scopes getting knocked loose are not near as common as in years passed.

12. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Just read this thread. Now I need to read the attachments and watch the videos. Was shooting my CZ455 .17 with both eyes open today and I really enjoyed it. Hitting small gourds at 100 yards on a 25+mph day.

Does the forward mounted scope affect or improve eye relief?

Apologies if that's a dumb question but I know nothing.

13. Expat

Not sure how you are using the term eye relief. Generally it means how far a scope needs to be for it to work, i.e., you can see clearly through it.

The IER (intermediate eye relief) scopes are generally around 9 inches from your eye. For that reason, they are generally low power (2-4) because any more and it would be like trying to look through a straw from inches away.

But, the benefit is that you can shoot with both eyes open. It allows you to maintain your peripheral vision when acquiring a target. You ever see a deer at distance, pull the scope up and not be able to find them? And have to take it back down a second to see where it is? The IER scopes solve that problem. But you give up some magnification.

Not sure if that helps?

JMick, CooterJohnson, chorpie and 2 others like this.
  14. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

The rifle he was using at the paper target looked like a CZ 527.
    Good video

15. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

That does. Thank you. I assumed the scopes were made to be set further from your eye, but wasn't sure.

16. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Well, this thread has done it. I think I'll get a GSR.

JMJ likes this.
  17. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_0113.JPG IMG_0112.JPG My version is a CZ527 in 7.62x39. I hope this pic works. It is a miniature Mauser and weighs about 6 lbs. The scope is a 1x4 pig plex Leupold. I plan to do some long range experiments with it soon.

18. mil spec

mil spec Member

I can't stand fiber optic the look of fiber optics at all. I agree that it makes it look cheap.

19. Val_Trompia

Val_Trompia Member

Another interesting Lucky Gunner video about "practical riflemanship" (running hunting/scout rifles quickly). Has an interesting but tragic story about some Alaska State Troopers exchanging rifle fire from a helicopter against some piece of **** armed with a hunting rifle

20. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Another question. As funds are tight, I just remembered we have a vintage Mauser rifle. No scope on it and it probably hasn't been fired in 50 years, but I was wondering if this would make a good scout candidate? Is 8mm readily available?