Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Delkancott, Feb 13, 2017.

1. jeeter

jeeter Member

I'm Jason. I have a fire team worth of crib midgets, like beer, bbq, knives, sheep, and being outdoors.

In my spare time I self identify as Expat self identifying as Strigidae identifying as the love child of Rachel Dolezal and Rush Limbaugh channeling the spirit of Flipper while watching Lassie.

I thought it was Rocket. :D

Stone, Datilite, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  2. eastwa

eastwa Member

Soon to be retired, have big plans to tour the PNW looking for the perfect dry hopped IPA. Found the original site while looking for Idaho made knives. Stayed because of the sheep shaggin jokes and techniques.

3. Stone

Stone Member

My name is Stone. No really, seriously, it's Stone. It's a given name. Not my only given name, but a given name. My full name is Bjorn Stone Ekbert del Bridger III, Esq. I was once known as Bjorn Nem Ekbert del Bridger III, but I changed my name formally once I immigrated here from a tiny island off the coast of Norway via northern Scotland. I moved there by dog sled at age 12 from Antarctica where I was born; doing the Pacific by dog sled made me stronger, and taught me and my dogs how to swim better.

I found this forum in 2011 while living in an unheated room in an old, leaky farmhouse in central Maine. I was then part of about five online forums -- mostly about guns, but this one about blades. I left most of those others because I couldn't stand the politics and religion -- which are forbidden here (thankfully) -- or draconian moderators. I got banned from the old forum, but I sent Jeff a case of good beer and some aged whiskey, and he agreed to let me back on if I behaved myself -- which is so freaking hard. :oops: Everyone here loves my taste in music except Expat.

To learn more about me, where I live and places I hike, click on "Adventures" in my sig line.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    vBlake, Datilite, Delkancott and 3 others like this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Justin here.

I'm kind of an asshole, but only sometimes. I came here because I saw the Ontario RAT knives in the PX before one of my deployments and thought they were super cool, but more than I'd EVER pay for a knife. The SOG in my pocket was enough for me. During one of those deployments, I somehow magically thought how I'd like to have an actual no-nonsense knife. So I thought back to that badass RAT thing I saw at the PX. I googled "RAT knife canvas handle" and at the time I had no clue what the difference between Ontario and ESEE was. This was right after the split so the Ontario models were still heavily marketed online. I ended up stumbling onto the ESEE-4 with the dark micarta scales. I thought those looked super cool and I ordered the knife, straight to Iraq. I emailed ESEE support to ask if they provided any sharpening services (at the time I knew as much about sharpening a knife as I did about the birthing process) and I was directed to the forum to find one of their approved sharpening vendors.

The rest is history, and now I won't touch a damn SOG.

5. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

To be completely honest, I've found that the more ESEE forum members know your real name, the better.

Bushman5, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  6. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I hate it when things poop on my head.

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  7. IW17

IW17 Member

Yup, I guess I do tooo_O

Theodore likes this.
  8. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

I thought it was a new fad

Theodore likes this.
  9. jeeter

jeeter Member

Patchy pooped in my hand earlier, but not my head. Yuck.

Theodore likes this.
  10. Mountainmistwanderer

Pics or it ain't true

11. Mountainmistwanderer

With that said your profile pic fits perfectly. Woof Woof!!

12. Mountainmistwanderer

I'm going to go deeper into my deal but first and foremost always revert to my original post in this thread.

It was 2007ish when I was in the market for a quality 6 inch knife. At that point I didn't know all that much about all the knife companies. The most were the more commercial brands. Cold Steel, Gerber, SOG, BRKT and etc. But I knew that there had to be something better. After a month of searching the web reviews (forum reviews included) it came down to the ESEE 6 which was a front runner from early on. I fell in love with it and still have my original 6 which still gets used.
    I wouldn't join the forum until years later. I didn't know it existed. About a couple of months before I joined is when I discovered it. I remember my first thread. I introduced myself with "Who are you people". Immediately got great responses along with plenty of questions that I answered and people responded with their own information without me asking. It was very welcoming. Great times from there on.
    But there was this one member. SBgirl. She would post lots of trip reports and other things. It was very easy to tell that she was a very respectful lady that chose her words carefully. At this point in my life (42 years old) I was really thinking that I was never going to meet that someone special. I was already planning me life as a single person. Many failed relationships up to that point which had me thinking that way. I was giving up on relationships. But when I would read the posts from SBgirl I really felt a connection that she was the one for me. I started off slow. Since she was posting a lot of trip threads I would make a comment every 3rd or so thread that was in a way hinting my interest in her. Then on a couple occasions I sent her a cool outdoor pieces of gear for free. Flint and steel kit. Chaga another time. 9 months would go by with me making a hinting comment every so often until I would ask to meet up. I wanted to meet her. I was going to be in Vegas for the Xmas/NYE time so I invited her and her friends for a hike up in the Valley of Fire since I knew that place well and she wanted to learn more about it. The trip was set and as the date neared one by one her friends were dropping out until there was none. She decided to go on her own.
    Now what needs to be understood is that for 2 months before we would meet we were sending pm's to each other every day. Every day for two months. A pm would only hold 2,500 characters so a lot of the time it could be 2 or 3 pm's to complete our thoughts and questions. Because of this it is safe to say that we knew more about each other in 2 months than most couples would learn in a year. That's the beauty about the pm's as compared to face to face. One can be more bold to ask and answer questions thru the pm's.
    So we would first meet on 12/26/2013 which would be our first date and spend the next 6 days together. That's right a first date that lasted 6 days. After that it would be 15 months of a long distance relationship until one day I decided to quit a great job and leave NYC to live with her. It has been a great life for the both of us since. Now I will be marrying her on June 5th of this year.
    I was giving up on life as far as being with someone until one day I went to search for a knife to add to my gear. It is because of a vision @Jeff Randall and @Mike Perrin had that my life would change forever and for the better. That's why I will be forever grateful to those two. Besides Julia I have also met so many great people here on this forum.
    Because of that ESEE 6 we will be using it to cut our wedding cake on that special day.

That is my story.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Bushman5, joe27, Standard78 and 21 others like this.
  13. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Double like!!

Mountainmistwanderer likes this.
  14. Zeek

Zeek Member

That's fantastic congratulations man !!!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Mountainmistwanderer likes this.
  15. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg Dennis. East TN. Formerly SmokyMountainDA in the previous Forum life. Now I just look like a nube.
    Discontinued employment a year ago. Aka "retired". Been traveling a great deal. Go to the local ranges frequently.
    Bought a new/used turntable and dusted off the vinyl. Like beer and bourbon.
    Third Grandchild on the way.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  16. Stone

Stone Member

I'm very glad I was able to finally coax my buddy and friend ^ Dennis -- or SmokeyMtDA or just DA -- to join us. We've been hanging out on various internet forums for over a decade. I'll join one, tell him how cool it is, and he comes along, or vice versa. We've not met in person yet -- but I'm working on that, trying to convince him what an awesome place Maine is and that he needs to come up here to visit. But trips out west and to visit new grandkids keep getting in the way. :D

He thinks that someday, he'll finally convince me to own an AR; so far, he's been unsuccessful, though his arguments can be compelling. [Our politics are pretty different, but we manage to avoid that topic; and since discussion of politics (and religion) are taboo here, it'll never be an issue. I refuse to let those topics ruin good friendships; there are more important things to discuss. :cool:]

When I came back here to this forum after a dishonorable discharge from the old forum :oops: and found so many good people still hanging out on what I still consider to be THE best outdoor gear-oriented, sheep-loving, beer-drinking, culinary-expert forum on the Intrawebs, I kept telling him, Dude, you need to come here. Finally, I succeeded, but it had to wait for his tour of the SW.

His knowledge of guns, knives, camping, RV's, his wry sense of humor (MSAA on deck; smoke'm if you got 'em) will fit here very well.

Sometime later, in another thread about EDK (everyday kits), I'll include a pic of his latest gift to me, a 4Sevens Maelstrom, an extra he had. Good person, and great friend this one is.

But if he causes trouble here, I'll probably be the one that gets blamed. :rolleyes:

:D

17. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Thanks for the kind words.
    We first connected on the High Road Forum. A snub revolver thread/442/642 that drew 10s of thousands of comments. IIRC it went to over over 1 million views in four segments. It may be alive today?
    You had a Marlin Thread which was well attended.
    I'm not so much trying to get you to do an AR as I am trying to convince you to do that bolt rifle in .308/7.62 caliber...although you could get an AR in a .308 format....I do like that Ruger I think you have in mind...and the SxS .20.
    Let's hope we are both around a couple more decades.
    And yes, if there's trouble around here again it's no doubt your doing. Thanks for convincing me to giving this hell hole another look.

vBlake, Stone and Delkancott like this.
  18. BigJake

BigJake Member

I'm half horse, half gator, tougher'n a
    earthquake. I've got the prettiest gal, the fastest horse, and
    the ugliest dog this side of hell. I can out jump, out run,
    throw down, drag out and whip any man in old Kaintuck.

vBlake, Dagwood, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  19. Chuy

Chuy Member

Hello,

My friends call me Chuy, I have been playing with ESEE knifes for years now working my way through the collection. I think I have owned all of the original ones at some point in time. I had a slight flirtation with DPX knifes for a while, and after working my way around the other knife brands, and scandi grinds over the years. I find myself back to the tried and true ESEE's.

Im not sure what I should start with again the ESEE 6, Junglas or Laser Strike? I see some other new ESEE varietals that would be fun to try out.

Cheers!

Dagwood, Datilite and Zeek like this.
  20. Thorns

Thorns Member

Howdy,
    New to the forums. Been looking at ESEE knives a long time, used alot of others, and always carry one.
    like all of the ESEE Models, but im pretty partial to the three right now. My woman just got herself a new job in forestry, and I bought her a 3. She EDC's and loves it. I dint realize how much i would liked it until I held one. So I plan to get one for my self. She does makem look good!
    I work for a timber building company, and love wood, wood work, and being in the woods. Like to hunt and fish and am always in the woods. I like long camping with as little as possible, hiking, and such like that. pretty good with a wrench and figuring. into field medicine and rescue. I look forward to being able to take a couple RAT courses. Looking into SRT, Minimal rope rescue, and ditch medicine classes, also want to take a SAR course if it comes up again. Hopefully this year.

Nice to meet ya!