Ideal size survival knife

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Graphyfotoz, Sep 19, 2016.

1. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

So much truth and has totally summed up my personal experiences doing all the above! I usually have a LS, 5 or Junglas on me along with a SAK or multitool or all of the above in a backpack. I've grown to like the 5 more and more, so much so I sold my 6 because I felt where the 5 gave up a little length it made up for it in mass that reduced my efforts to chop limbs along with the thickness splitting wood more efficiently for me. There's also a peace of mind for me that a blade that thick gives in that it's nigh impossible for me to break it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    SC864 likes this.
  2. Black5

Black5 Member

Well, after my foray to the farm, I've decided I didn't flat out learn as much as I refined some knife techniques. Guess that's still learning...
    Anyway, the 5 is seeing less actual use around my farm, and the 4 is taking the place. But the five is always accessible.
    I think if i had the 4 and izzy 2 I would be good in the wood.
    But I also think that 5 offers me a lot of security and confidence.

Still pisses the wife off that I snuggle with it though.....

Zeek, Bushman5 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ why not commission @Allen Morrison to make you a custom sheath that mounts on a drop leg molle panel.....something that holds your 5, 4 and Izula2? (and a leatherman and matchcase)

Allen Morrison, Zeek and Black5 like this.
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Hey wait!....that was my plan, but it was for my 18" Condor. I truly was going to quote your earlier "big knife" post adding the caveat that it doesn't have to be a 5/16ths thick monster to be effective. Even on a near wood-less plain a long(er) thin blade can put up a shelter and put insulation between you and the ground real fast. Just a matter of thinking your situation thru and carrying out the plan.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  5. Black5

Black5 Member

Now there's a thought. .but I think I'd like rather than a dropleg, a sheath that would hold the 5 and izzy and another that held the 4 and izzy.
    But the idea you had for a single sheath that mounted to my pack...Well now...I see all kinds of money leaving my realm as I giggle maniacally ...:D