Ideal size survival knife

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Graphyfotoz, Sep 19, 2016.

1. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

Lol! Not around here. You pull a switchblade most likely you will have a sxs 12 gauge suck up you're nose.

Grumpy old farmers..

2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Farmers? Oh hell then all you have to do is show em your old timer or case and youll get right in right?

Delkancott likes this.
  3. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

I just keep and John Deere, Case, and Cat shirt and hat in my truck. See what implements they run and change before I knock on the door. Mostly likely get adopted..

Strigidae likes this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thats a good way to get some good cooking there!!!

.357 mag likes this.
  5. Acedoc

Acedoc Member

I would say a machete type blade or now that I have seen it my esee 4.

6. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

The short answer.....My TM Hunt or My Becker BK16. I find them to be very very similar (the Yuma just being a little nicer to look at and slightly better ergonomics)...around 4.25"blade...a hair over 9"OAL....near 3/16 blade...contoured handle

THE Long Answer: (stop here if you dont like loquacious posts lol)

This is one of those questions that is hard to answer because of the potential of so many variables....urban or rural environment? Type of climate? Will other tools be accessible? Anyone else around? Hostile environment? (A survival situation is any situation in which you are fighting for your life)...
    Experts always say the best survival knife is the one you have on you....and I agree. But if thats the case why limit yourself to just a one tool option. I dont ever set foot in the woods without enough tools to outfit a small army (couple blades of varying sizes, ax and hatchet, folding saw,SAK, Multitool,and most likely at least 2 different folders....I love to play and test out things in the woods..plus I believe in using the right tool for the job).
    But also take into consideration that even when I go out into the rural areas where I live I cant walk more than a mile without running into some sort of building...

For Poops and Laughs-lets pretend for a second im in a wilderness survival situation with the one knife i chose...here is why I chose the blade I did...
    If I'm trying to survive I'm likely trying to conserve energy amd regulate body temp...I'm not gonna want to swing a 6" blade around chopping down trees. I'm gonna look for deadfall or other easy-to-gather firewood. I'm also not going to section it up with my knife.I'm going to look for two trees close together that I can use to break wood. And batonning will be avoided if possibe...its uneccessary wear and tear on a tool I'm trying to preserve the life of. (In my opinion firewood larger in diameter than my forearm is a luxury not a necessity.)
    And as far as food, I'm most likely going to be going after small game so a large knife will be too cumbersome to use.

Sorry for the long post... I'm sitting at the oil change shop with no one to talk to and I have to wait over an hour. Plus there's an awful talk show on they won't change channel LOL

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. Theodore

Theodore Member

This is like that moment when the mortician guy talks in Gone in 60 seconds:)

nofuss, Dagwood and OutdoorsFamilyMan like this.
  8. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Hey I resemble that remark

Theodore likes this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I had nine knives on me last short dayhike. ranging in length from 18" to 2" . Think im covered. :)

10. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

The first 30 seconds of this... Is how I imagine you look like after a "short dayhike"... Heh

Datilite, Theodore and Bushman5 like this.
  11. Theodore

Theodore Member

Now I want to watch the movie. There goes three and a half hours.

12. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Extended edition FTW!

13. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

[​IMG]

What Bushman said. I don't think in "survival knife " mode, I think in "survival system" mode. This rig has a machete (R), a multi tool (R) and an Izula in very secure Kydex (L) It has a fire building kit, a compass, duct tape, some 1qt and 1gal HD ziplocks. Also a rite in the rain note pad, fisher space pen, a shortened pencil too. There's a fox 40 whistle,some small ceramic rods, a smiths carbide/ceramic/dmt for the machete. There a roly poly for adding a water bottle or to collect edibles in....

14. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Very nice setup...i want to eventually get a kydex sheath for my bk9 and have some sort of baldric style setup...

anrkst6973 likes this.
  15. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

I like blades that are as long as my hand is wide.

Bushman5 and Theodore like this.
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Thank for the compliment, spent years (actually a decade or so) getting this week excactly how I wanted it. I want a Maxped Jumbo to finish it out. ;)

17. Andris94

Andris94 Member

LOL, that is time well spent.

Theodore likes this.
  18. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

That looks familiar

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  19. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Member

Yup switched hands......needed the $$$ :(
    Sold all my Busse Knives but one....... damn bills! :mad:

20. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Member

I suppose it depends on lots of factors. I like to use a knife for processing wood (ie splitting it) but not for cutting down a trees- that's a job for my Silky saws. Ideally I'd rather have a couple of knives with me, but if pressed to choose a single blade I suppose it may as well be my D2 RAT7. It's a great wood splitter but the ergos are good enough to use it for lots of other tasks. The sheath has a pouch that I normally use to stash a Gerber multi-tool (can't remember the model, my dad gave it to me in the late 80's/early 90's) so if I have that knife along there will be a few more tools.

Better still I would have the RAT7 and a smaller knife, either one of my Izula IIs with the orange TKC scales (easy to find if I drop it) or my Busse Bony Active Duty.

Zeek likes this.