Do you find YETI products to be too inexpensive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Expat, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

2. james gormley

james gormley Member

Their hats are priced cheap. Coolers.......... Not so much.
    I wonder who the ex Deadliest Catch capt is?

3. Expat

If you look at the founders or owners page it has bios on the three guys.

4. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Do those coolers require a special grade of ice or can it still use regular.
    Those are some ridiculous prices for a cooler.

5. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

I've been watching all of the yeti vs.... cooler threads for a while and done some research. I found another player in the cooler game, Bison coolers formerly Brute. Made in the USA and supposedly more true to size than some of the others, They are still freaking expensive for a cooler.

Zeek likes this.
  6. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Not true to size? Is there an issue with that in the market and how bad?

7. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

I have no first hand experience with any of the high end coolers. The size thing is just what I read on some of the reviews on the interweb.

8. olderguy

olderguy Member

Can their cooler cleaner be used on a competitors cooler or is there a catastrophic reaction ? :D

9. MiamiC70

MiamiC70 Member

So tired of the Gucci cooler crap.

Slade and Mountainmistwanderer like this.
  10. Expat

I love all these high end coolers.

They all work about the same. You just gotta go with whatever you can get a deal on. Or if you like a certain feature on one over the other.

The size thing bothers some people but Im not sure why. For example, the Yeti 45 is not 45 quarts. It's like 41 or something. But i dont know why that is an issue. They dont claim it's 45 quarts, it's just the model number and it's close to that number on quarts. It's sort of like arguing that although it says Yeti, it's not really an abominable snowman.

I think RTIC was probably the best for the money but now they are in trouble so who knows how that will all work out.

I like Engel and Yeti the best. But Orca, Grizzly, Bison, Orion are all probably good.

As expensive as they all are, I certainly wouldnt pay even more to have one made in the US. It's not like Americans are better at molding plastic than Chinese.

The best thing about these coolers is you buy once and youre done for the next 30 years.

Yeti should be going public soon so we'll see if I can earn some of my cooler money back in the form of investments.

Bcamos likes this.
  11. Expat

I forgot about the Cabelas coolers. They have done well in recent tests and are made in US.

Zeek likes this.
  12. Black Train

Black Train Member

The price of coolers has gotten totally ridiculous. I could by a cheap igloo and a lot of beer and steaks for the price of an empty Yeti.

Bushman5 likes this.
  13. C99c

C99c Member

I don't own an expensive cooler and presently don't have any need for one, but what really annoys me is all the drama and b_tching about them.

No one is being forced to buy these things.

Delkancott and Bushman5 like this.
  14. Expat

You're right. I don't know why people complain so much about Yetis. I don't complain about the cost of Teslas, or Miley Cyrus songs, or Busse knives, or other completely useless items.

The one thing is, there is a solid secondary market for just about everything. Knives, guns, cars, whatever. But have you ever noticed how rare it is for someone to sell a used Yeti? They are clearly lasting so they're not worn out. The people must be happy with them. I'm sure there would be a LOT of people willing to buy them at 50 to 75%, but they're just not available.

15. C99c

C99c Member

I haven't noticed but I don't really pay attention to it.
    I know that the past few years one of my daughter's clubs has raffled off a list of stuff that includes a Yeti and it seems to be the main draw. We even have people offer to buy just the sticker (insert Expat Knives joke here) that may or may not come with the cooler. There was a pretty nice rifle and smoker included last year and folks still only cared about the cooler.

I do know that when my kid gets through with college and I become a professional bum hunting and fishing 300 plus days a year I may get one of the soft sided coolers from one of the companies.
    Those things look like they would be really handy for tossing in a truck bed, canoe, float plane, etc.

16. Expat

I was reading an article the other day about Yeti. It claimed that contrary to what one would think, Yeti's man customer is not hunters and fisherman but rather frat boys. Greek life is full of status symbol brands and currently Yeti is at the top.

I found that interesting. A brand cant make it just on its own merits. Anyone can copy quality for the same price or better. A brand has to develop a fan club to really make it. Ralph Lauren has no better clothes than what you can buy anywhere else but they can charge 5x as much because there is a little horse on the shirt. Has nothing to do with quality.

If Yeti can nail that down, and they certainly look like they are heading in that direction, they'll be around a long time, laughing all the way to the bank.

No doubt Yeti spends more on marketing than all of the other companies together. Engel was around years and years before Yeti but reading Yeti paraphrenalia, youd think they invented the rotomolded coolers. They didnt. Their version doesnt even have as much insulation as the company they copied (engel).

But everyone knows Yeti. Wanna get rich? Spend 25% on the product, 75% on the marketing.

Rook52, C99c and Strigidae like this.
  17. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I have an Orca and love it. I bought it 50% off because the store was dumping that brand. I guess yeti threw a big fit that there was competition in the store and said "us or them". Orca is made in the USA or at least it was not sure anymore. Really good quality and they have a nice mess pocket on the back.

18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I find it f-ing hilarious......this thread......after the Recent Purchases thread......and Jeff thinking suing low hanging fruit will solve the overseas problem .....and and and and and recent knife threads in General Discussion and and and and and and

fug it,its a long weekend here........Lets Dance!

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Ad Men have fooled you all. You have all been sold the Great American Dream...........its a ******* SHAM! Made In The USA is a registered CORPORATION IN CHINA. This **** was planned several hundred plus years ago, colonize the West, brave new world ! go explore, set your roots down.....live the American /Canadian dream.....its a SHAM....put forth by the Great Elders of the Illuminati and the Church. Its a ******* ponzi TAX SCHEME. They control us, your all living in a dream, a pre- made fantasy designed to empty your pockets and make the evil richer and richer. <<<and the irony is.......it works! oh Lordy does it ever work!~

OPEN YOUR EYES>>>>>> this whole Buy american, Buy Canadian, Buy British, if you don't we will sue the consumer, its all a SHAM>>>>>Everything is made in china and marketed in the WEST. We are living in a computer simulation. A blip in the space time continuum, we are nothing but a plague on this planet......God Knows where its going but i the grand scheme of things...........we are nothing, less than .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 to the power of a billion trillion pentaflops of nothing. Specks of dust in this Great Cosmos!

hey i'm just having some fun here, i don't take myself seriously, neither should you, BUT YOU SHOULD OPEN YOUR EYES ......

just saying.....

hahahahahhahahahaha

the whole reason "USA" companies are so rabid about fakes...is that they are afraid the general population will find out EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA, and then the revolt will begin.....a billion people rioting! HAHAHAHAHHAHA

hey its just a theory of mine.......don't hate the player<<<<>>>>>>me<<>>>>>hate the game.

hey there is a knock knock knocking on my door......excuse me.....:confused:

:D

20. Expat

I wish there was a face icon that had a blank look and just blinked over and over.

It would be perfect to insert right here.

Bcamos, IW17, Delkancott and 2 others like this.