Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

To be fair, this whole world is filled with wackos..
    Quite an experience I wouldn't want to go through though. Glad it turned out OK.

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

3. C99c

C99c Member

I had a voicemail from a FedEx C.S. rep over the weekend about a shipment issue. Called them Monday thinking it was about some tires I ordered last week.

The rep was just reminding me that I had a pallet that needed to pick up at their distribution center. I told her that she might want to call HQ because that situation has been resolved (on my part anyway) for at least a month and half. I told her if there was any confusion I would be happy to send her the emails. She was apologetic and told me that she would talk to her folks and get it straightened out.

This morning I get a voicemail from another C.S. rep needing me to call them. He wanted to confirm that I had never picked up the pallet and asked that I forward him the emails related to the situation. It seems that the pallet got up and walked off at some point and they just noticed it.

I didn't go get them and the seller has already sent me replacements and gotten paid for the "missing" items by Fedex so I guess the pallet just took care of itself.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

interesting study on heavy load outs in the military......I found this while researching compression injuries from heavy mountaineering packs.

I've been trying to get my webbing load outs down to 20 lbs max, including water.......lighter (modern laminates) pouches, lighter yoke and belt, stripping down the FAK from a 20 person Mountaineering FAK/GSW kit to a boo boo kit and stripped down GSW/Slash/kit, going to freeze dried "soak in pouch" meals instead of fresh food, reducing the batteries carried for the headlamp, ditching the 100 (just in case you know...) wax firestarters, multi ferro rods, etc etc.

Still working on getting the load out weight down.......for awhile it was think of every scenario including other hikers who might be in need and gearing for it. My webbing load outs were pushing 50lbs and it sucked. Esp in the terrain up here and elevation gains and ankle/leg snapping trails and non trails......really sketchy to set a foot down and feel top heavy and fall into scree rocks - potentially deadly. ........... now i'm of the mindset screw the other hikers, not my job to feed them or water them because they forgot to bring food/water (callous of me for thinking like this though? am I required to feed / water etc other hikers because they are dumb azzes? )

water was the big issue.........2 X 2 Liter canteens = 9 lbs. We have the best water in the world here......its not like its arsenic laden or poisoned like the GI's experienced in Vietnam and other areas......some of their load outs showed between 6 - 8 canteens...........at least here i can quickly resupply my canteen (treat the water of course for the viruses/etc), so i ditched the big SADF canteens and went back to the 1 Liter Nalgene's. (except when i'm in BC's desert regions, then water is an issue as most creeks dry up from Mar to October.......and I'll carry both SADF 2 liter canteens, possibly 2 more depending on the area)

shelter......I either carry my Willow made basha tarp, or my surplus CDN Forces poncho, but not both unless the weather is extreme. In summer/fall its the basha tarp, rest of the time its the poncho.

work in progress.........yes i could carry nothing but a knife and go all bushcrafty.....but thats really a stupid thing to do up here (anywhere really) - those skills are great, but when i'm 12 hours into a hike and I'm absolutely fatigued and knacker-ed and its starting to piss rain/sleet....im not going to start building a shelter, try to get a bowdrill fire going......set traps for food....... etc....NO.......i'm going to take 2 minutes to tie my tarp rope between two trees and anchor the tarp down, crawl under it and make a hot cuppa using fire kit form my pocket. Or throw my poncho on etc. And eat a nice hot cup of instant noodles and a powerbar.

just some thoughts....

I found the article interesting.....you might too.....

anrkst6973 likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

working in the ol BushTruck tonight, some guy drives by........yells my name HEY BUDDDDDDY!......

old neighbor of mine.....haven't seen Bro since about 7 years ago. Was there with me thru thick and thin a few years back, as I was there for him a number of years of back.

The world is slowly re-aligning............good people are networking and the rest of the demons are on their way out.

my old neighbor rescued a dog with major cancer nodules in its heart and lungs.......doggo's chest literally got cracked in half during the surgery. That was 3 years ago......Bro still has doggo, it adores him

on a side note, I may be adopting a barn find kitten...........it may be a Maine Coone/Bobcat cross. Gonna make MissCopperKitty look tiny.........:confused: (she is HUGE). Waiting for the rural vet to get back to me.

6. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Floodwaters in Tulsa area are receding finally.

Some homes are a total loss.

It’s all moving downstream unfortunately.

Muskogee was hit hard, and now Ft Smith Arkansas is feeling it also.

An incredible 546,000 cubic feet per second is flowing through the lock and dam at Robert S Kerr Lake.
    3.8 million gallons per second headed towards Ft Smith and beyond.
    Levees are being pushed to and beyond their limits.
    Next week looks wet again, they are saying up to 4” of rain possible in the Tulsa area.

Incredible sinkholes in roadways highlight the dangers of driving through what you think are shallow flood waters.
    Turn around, don’t drown.

Bushman5, Drew RedBear and Strigidae like this.
  7. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Ready for another day of fishing :D
    I bought this little bag not knowing what I'd use it for, but it makes a pretty good fishing bag. 20190601_133646.jpg 20190601_160105.jpg

8. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

20190601_190303.jpg Shhh.. I be fishin.... HERE FISHY FISHY :D. Caught two trout so far, pics to come later.

Strigidae, Bluelew and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Note left on my truck

“Reported your licence plate to the ministry of environment for spilling toxic fuel on the earth. Enjoy the repercussions of your polluting ways”

Oh ok lady. I’m sure they will come down hard on me for a few litres spill on asphalt.

Reported the incident to non emergency line.

Lol. Serious whackos in my province

Drew RedBear likes this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Crays Bushy !! I thought of you about 10 ago as I spilt some diesel in the street while topping off a tank from a jerry ! No one rushed out !!

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Try this again.. My score and taters first fresh fish encounter. She was scared but it's a new smell to her. We had to cut early because of a storm coming in. The esee 3 did pretty good, but on one it wasn't that straight. 20190601_204608.jpg 20190601_213451.jpg 20190601_213832.jpg 20190601_214802.jpg 20190601_213515.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Bluelew, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I can haz da fishy?

lover Taters hesitation.....LMAO!

Zeek and Drew RedBear like this.
  13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Lol, yeah she really wasn't sure about it. She loves new smells but she jumped a little at every little noise. But she stayed next to me the whole time I was cleaning them. She never did get close except when I put a fish head to her nose, then she sniffed and took off haha.

Zeek likes this.
  14. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Ive heard of albino but never this.... Black deer spotted in Northern lower peninsula of Michigan
    black+deer+2_1559497312376_21928748_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

anyone having issues right now with Google Photos? all of todays photos were well under the 75MB limit each, (most were 20 - 50 MB each) but half of my 200 photos failed to upload.

Also having issues in the editing suite.......takes forever for each edit to to appear and takes over half an hour to save the changes....

16. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Wife was having issues with gmail not working earlier.

Bushman5 likes this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

ditto....my Gmail...is only showing emails form two days ago.....

18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

anyone ever feel like just quiting their job and going and climbing mountains?

man i got i bad.....I just want to wander BC's mountains and take photos.....

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Dagwood, Zeek and RocketmanDane like this.
  19. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I don't use Google photos and I was having issues with Gmail earlier, but it seems ok now.

@Bushman5, just keep in touch lol

Bushman5 likes this.
  20. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Just remember what being out of work was like. I’m no stranger to being unemployed and I get the same urges you do to leave. But this mortgage doesn’t stop needing to be paid and life still costs money one way or another. Finding gainful employment for someone you can deal with working for isn’t always easy.