Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. JV3

JV3 Member

that's how to do it - ride the gravy train while it's running! no guarantees it'll run forever.

C99c likes this.
  2. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Gravy train on biscuit wheels !

Zeek, JV3 and C99c like this.
  3. C99c

C99c Member

Make it while you can make it and be smart with (most of) it. That advice has served me well since I first heard it 30ish years ago.

ManOfSteel and JV3 like this.
  4. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Crazy day so far.

Extreme flood threat for Tulsa and other metro areas along the Arkansas River.
    Current dam release upstream of Tulsa is 1.5 million gallons per second, and they have gotten about 3" of rain this evening in the areas upstream of that lake. I expect tomorrow morning they will have to increase that release amount.

Couldn't tell you how many tornadoes this evening. Been constant coverage since about 5pm.
    Wall cloud passed just a mile south of me, and after it passed it dropped some tennis ball size hail east of me, and continued on and has dropped a few tornadoes since then. A couple were pretty large, one is still on the ground crossing into extreme southwestern Missouri.

On top of that, a couple of full barges on the river came loose near Muskogee and are floating down the river towards the Webbers Falls dam and are expected to make contact with the dam any minute now.
    The community of Webbers Falls was evacuated earlier today for the flood threat, and if the barges burst the dam it would be catastrophic for Webbers Falls downstream all the way to Fort Smith Arkansas.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@OKcherokee
    Geez!! That is freaking insane! We get the occasional bad weather day esp during hurricane season but I cant say we get anything near that bad... Heck a hurricane a few years ago hit the city I live in head on and we didn’t get any of that!

6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Wow, mother earth is stirring up a fuss lately. I hope all is well that way!

7. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

So, got some information today. Just wanted to share.

So my birth mother's family info is this, as far as my non id file.
    Grandfather born 1924
    Grandmother born 1929
    Mother born 52/53
    Aunt born 1954
    Uncle born 1956
    Uncle born 1959.
    Bio sis born a year before me

Ok?

Info obtained from a search angel using a"1st" cousins name from ancestry.

Clarence Cooper born 1924
    Ola Williams (Cooper) born 1929
    Karen Sue Hampton (Cooper) born 1952
    Belinda Andrews (Cooper) born 1954
    Dale Cooper born 1956
    Kenneth Cooper born 1959

Karen had a daughter before me born in 1968. Depending on the time of year it could be said a year prior. (my adopted sis was born Sept 25 68 and for 20 days we're 1 year apart)

I think Karen is my mother.. ❤️❤️???

Zeek and RocketmanDane like this.
  8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Drew RedBear that’s pretty cool! I have been using ancestry a lot recently and have learned some really cool stuff.
    Esp with some of the new features they have in beta I am able to learn even more!
    A quick run down if you haven’t used ancestry before.
    1. Create a “tree” and put in what info you know. Make sure you clearly designate “Adopted”
    2. In your “tree” you can trick the system a little by adding a “placeholder parent” you can put a name like “Drew’s father” and in the last name “unknown” if you do this back a few generations with your mother and father’s it helps to get “hints”
    3. After you put in those place holder folks look for a feature called “thru lines” it then should jaenable you to swap out place holders for actually
    If you have any ancestry questions feel to ask

Drew RedBear likes this.
  9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I'm very new to all this DNA stuff. I did 23andme about a month ago and got different results.
    But I heard ancestry was better so I went ahead. I'm still finding my way around in there but that's good to know about the placeholder parent. I would have to do both like that because I'm not 100 percent sure. You'll probably be hearing from me then, lol. But thank you!

10. JV3

JV3 Member

sage advice right there...supporting point is a lot of nba players run out of money soon after they stop playing...despite making millions.

11. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

There goes 3,800 tons of fertilizer.

Drew RedBear and Bushman5 like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

thats insane

found another angle (other news helicopter? )

Drew RedBear, OKcherokee and Zeek like this.
  13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  14. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

The USS Batfish floats again!

7F0A9A17-2F97-4C28-A11C-E8917680E226.jpeg

It normally sits on dry ground.
    Rising flood waters has put it at risk, at one point the cables keeping it secure had broken free. They have it contained again.

Hope it doesn’t break loose, else it could suffer the same fate as those barges.

I remember going inside of it as a kid, and I plan on taking my boys when they are a little older.

The USS Batfish has a great history, including sinking three Japanese submarines within 72 hours in 1945. Would be a shame to see it damaged or destroyed from flood waters.

15. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Goin fishing today. First time in over 10 years! Need to get out anyway and get my mind off of things.

16. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Nothing but a couple bites. Still good to get out though and enjoying the fresh air. Lake taneycomo

Attached Files:

17. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

It shouldn’t be so hard to find a Memorial Day ceremony. Growing up there was one like clockwork that the town came together for. Do you think I could find any info on it for this year??? NOPE!! wwwwwWWWdhgffTTTTdhudhFFFFF. ...

Drew RedBear and Zeek like this.
  18. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Nothing like waking up to tornado sirens.

All is well here, but that one was close.

Real close.

C99c, Drew RedBear and Strigidae like this.
  19. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Weather has been crazy.

Tornadoes last night.
    More forecasted tonight, and Tuesday.

Still extreme flooding.
    Helped my brother empty his house and sandbag all the doors yesterday.

3DE4A8F3-3583-4355-BF7F-FDD9AF961159.jpeg 584611C1-F1A6-4A19-B9F3-C9DE1B0C3720.jpeg

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I was filling up the truck (personal) from my jerry can when the nozzle snapped in two....spilling about 5 liters of gasoline onto the nice hot asphalt and covering my boots and jeans. One of those instant pucker moments where in milliseconds you think.....is the static electricity going to ignite the vapors? Put down the jerry can....walked away from the truck (still had super hot catalytic converters..... let it evaporate for about ten minutes. Man what a beautiful smell.

Got my spill kit, was hoping the bag of clay litter was still there....nope.....just absorb pads.....oh well, lay em down to soak up the wet fuel. Try to wipe up the fuel after about twenty minutes, impatient drivers are roaring past me, several brushed me with their bumpers. All leaned on the horn.

Continue what I'm doing, some old lady from across the way walks by and wrinkles her nose in disgust. Its people like you that are destroying our planet she said. You should be locked up for crimes against the environment. Onwards and onwards , something about driving a big truck instead of an electric vehicle, then something about her children and grandchildren for about ten minutes while i'm containing and cleaning up the spill.

i said, be thankful i'm trained in hazmat containment and cleanup. Most people would just have left it here.

Bylaws drives by(on his rounds of the hood) , sees the spill cleanup pads aorund my left side of my truck, leans out his window and looks, asks if i have it under control. Yes i do, about to put a cover of granules on and sweep it , should be done in 15 minutes.

oh ok, have a goodnight. Drives away.

this city is full of whackos.

Reno Lewis, Drew RedBear and Zeek like this.