Calling all reloaders!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Rook52, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Mudman

Mudman Member

Velocity definitely increases from my limited experience. Check for case head separation and expansion as Expat mentioned. I'm not much for pushing limits on my firearms, mainly because I'm cheap and a sissy. Pushing max, also means elevated wear and tear. If your going for max horsepower at all costs, then shortened barrel life will be something to worry about.

If there's a level of performance your chasing, that's possibly beyond what the cartridge is capable of, then another cartridge might be a safer bet in my opinion. Factory ammo always seems to do well for me, and even better with just a coal adjustment.

Hard to say in your case, but for myself personally- I like things on the safer side. There's more than likely an ample amount of info on youtube, to explain how to best diagnose signs for excess pressure. I'd feel more comfortable trying out different projectiles.

Rook52, Solo and IW17 like this.
  2. Rook52

Rook52 Member

That is the whole reason why I started this thread, lol. I was wondering if anyone has done increased powder. I’m a wuss as well and only want to go to max powder only. Plus if i can decrease powder for longer barrel life....yes please. Again these are all what I heard just wondering if anyone has lived it :). I’m interested to get my current loads on the chrono to see how much velocity I lose due to a longer COAL.

Mudman likes this.
  3. Solo

Solo Member

There are many variables. I’m getting flattened primers under max load on a cold day. Even though I’m using temperature stable extruded stick powders, I know pressure increases with the outside temperature.

Could be just my gun, chamber or leade. Could be the primers are soft (Winchester). Could be the data was done at a different altitude. A different batch of powder can be it.

Rook52, The Marsh Gorilla and IW17 like this.