Calling all reloaders!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Rook52, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Rook52

Rook52 Member

So I’ve been reloading for awhile there is a ton of stuff online but I really don’t trust it. Unfortunately I don’t have a veteran reloader in my social circle to bounce question off of. I was going to start this post to see what reloading questions we have. From gear, data, or just starting I think it would be good to share.

I’ll start, I reload for 270 and 300 WM right now. I’ve reloaded for 9mm, 45 ACP, 357, 44, 500, 30-06, and 270 WSM.

My current project is my 300WM. My first reload is a 168gr Barnes TSX, 70gr of IMR 4831, and a COAL of 3.330”. My barrel is a 1:10 twist. It shoots pretty good but I want to try Berger bullets. It shoots about 2848 FPS. I measured my head space in my rifle and I want to start to change my COAL. I will be going above SAAMI specs but I have the room in my magazine for.

My question is has anyone reloaded above SAAMI specs for COAL and did you increase you powder?

Also does anyone have the Berger reloading book?

The Marsh Gorilla, Datilite and Zeek like this.
  2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

You just take your empty cartridge, and dip it in the bottle of powder. Level it off at the top, and shove the bullet in.

"If it fits, it ships!"

3. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Seems like a fairly conservative muzzle velocity for a 168 gr bullet out of a 300 WM. What are you using it for?

The Marsh Gorilla and Rook52 like this.
  4. Rook52

Rook52 Member

It will be used for hunting. The Barnes book gave me a calculated velocity of 2945. I’m below that but not crazy according to the book I can go to 72gr for max load, but I’d think if I change my COAL that would reduce pressure so I can up the powder. But I don’t want to blow up my gun. :)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  5. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Ha ha, I like my rifle to much to blow it up this soon.

6. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Changing the available space in the case doesn't necessarily lower the pressure, there are a lot of variables that you that don't need to worry about right now like neck tension, powder burn rate.... In my very humble opinion accuracy is much more important than getting the max velocity out of your rifle. That being said you need to look at what you are going to use it for specifically. The .300 WM is a great all around rifle and one of my favorites and I have killed the vast majority of my big game animals with. What kind of groups are you getting with your current load?

7. Zeek

Zeek Member

Quickload software is your friend. ;)

The Marsh Gorilla and Datilite like this.
  8. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I could not agree more, shot placement is number one in my book. I’ve had groups of 5 shots touching at 100 yards but I’d say I’m about 1” MOA at 100 yards. I’d like to be holding groups at 500 yards. My rifle also has a muzzle brake on it.

9. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Sounds like you've got a pretty good load for hunting. You might play with your seating depth a bit to see if that doesn't tighten things up a little. I just picked up a 28 Nosler and a 26 Nosler so I've got some load development to do:)

Rook52 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  10. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Thanks bud, that is my next step as soon as I can get to the range. Those are cool calipers I’ve never shot them but they seem like they would be screamer. Flat shooter for out west. I’m in the stages of planning a Idaho muley hunt. I don’t think I’ll go this year just because I feel I’m behind the eight ball with scouting. We will see, maybe I’ll get lucky and be able to make a trip.

11. Rook52

Rook52 Member

This is my COAL test the cartridge on the left is my max COAL, it will be 0.030” off the lands. From there I set back 0.010” until I got back to SAAMI specs. 3 shells at each length for testing.
    0C433F50-0BC3-40F9-9C35-4FE73B3CA4C7.jpeg

Datilite and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  12. Expat

Well if you had a .308, I could help you. But you had to show off and step it up to a big boy caliber.

I did this today. 5 shots.

8D109C90-FEC6-4B13-8A45-A6768AA3F704.jpeg

13. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

That's a sweet group!!

14. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

What distance?

15. Expat

That was at 5,000 yards.

16. IW17

IW17 Member

17. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Does anyone have the Berger reloading book? If so can you post a picture of the 300 Win Mag 168gr page. Thanks!!

18. Mudman

Mudman Member

I reload over saami for coal, but during load development I start at the minimum powder charge. I have a magneetospeed to check the fps.

Rook52 likes this.
  19. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I have a chrono as well but how do you know if your pressures are getting to high. My thought is as the COAL is increased, velocity will decrease. So ultimately if you want more velocity you will have to go passed max powder charge. That’s where I get nervous.

20. Expat

Look at the cases to see bulging, look at the primers to see if they are really dented...or just listen for a really really really loud noise.

Strigidae likes this.