Advanced Bushcraft October 2019 Rollcall

Discussion in 'Randall's Adventure & Training®' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 3, 2019.

1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Be great to catch up around the fire!! Look forward to seeing you.

RocketmanDane, Strigidae and Kaw-liga like this.
  2. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

Thanks man, I'm stoked to spend the weekend with you guys and actually not be lost in the dark or starving. :D

RocketmanDane likes this.
  3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Kaw-liga likes this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

......this could be the best "survival" advice I have read on any forum EVER....!

5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

It’s not about smelling “pretty” Woodsy smell is a good! Camp fire smell is all good. Humidity + Heat + sweat+ camp fire + woodsy smell NOT all good :)

I’ve been slowly digging around the house looking for gear and I’ve had a few awesome surprises of gear I thought I might have lost, Given away or sold.
    Today alone I found 2 more axes I had stashed in different vehicles JIK that I’ll bring along to try our :) Lots Of toys to try out :)

mtngoat and Kaw-liga like this.
  6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

19ish days until the class!

How is everyone getting ready?

Any last minute purchases/ gear additions? Etc.

mtngoat likes this.
  7. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I haven't bought any new gear. I'm gonna use the RB3 but pack the 6HM, my tomahawk, and my little assortment of carving knives in case I have time to whittle around the fire. That spoon book you recommended came in yesterday. I'm glad I ordered it, it's filled with some really cool designs and detailed instructions.

RocketmanDane and mtngoat like this.
  8. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I’m bringing my RB3, JG3, PR4, Junglas, JG5, Libertariat, a few axes and my carving knives. Also the CR2.5 and my Esee 3 that I never leave home with out. I plan on bringing my good camera so @shaneadams90 can show me how to use it and a smoker, it’s smaller than the one originally planned to bring but it is sadly no longer with us.

9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Kaw-liga I’m glad you like it. I think I said it in the other thread it’s kinda more kitchen focused then outdoor focused but I really like the step by step pictures. If you didn’t see it in the back it has a whole bunch of stencil type designs.

@mtngoat
    I’m personally bringing a PR4, Normal ESEE 4, CR2.5, Izula, Izula 2 and a assortment of other Mora type knives. I’m not to big on the larger knives so I’ve been trying to find every ax I have stashed around and give it a good sharpen and bring them to really narrow down my ideal camp ax. I also have a couple other small saws and pruners I’ll bring to see if they really fit the tasks.

Im pretty torn on what to bring for a bag.. Bags are something I have no shortage of.. So I’ll probably bring a couple different ones to try.

As a side projected that I’ll hopefully post up eventually in the DIY section I’ve been fiddling with nesting bottles with stoves and making pots and handles out of them. I really haven’t found a good tutorial that is current to fit my setup so I’ve been experimenting. Long story short on that currently is that it’s not going great... So hopefully I can get a couple different projects figured out in time and bring them to play with.

For food I’m really thinking of precooking and freezing some good camp food. Much easier to store and warm up for a meal. Ive been told I’m a pretty decent cook but I work much better in a full kitchen with all my cooking stuff. Think such things as talian garlic shredded chicken on wheat bread etc. (Italian chicken sloppy joes essentially) I also might pre marinate some steaks and freeze them to cook over the campfire.

mtngoat and Kaw-liga like this.
  10. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I hope we get another opossum or raccoon.

Zeek and RocketmanDane like this.
  11. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@mtngoat IDK about a Opossum or a Racoon But I would love some Snake!

As far as preparing a little bit each day.

Things just got interesting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zeek, Kaw-liga and Strigidae like this.
  12. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I'm figuring this time may be a skunk since we have a lot of them on the place.

RocketmanDane, mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  13. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

If we catch one I’ll cook it.

dm1995, Zeek, BigJake and 2 others like this.
  14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I can see a raccoon, Possum, squirrels, chipmunks, porcupines or badger, But I might have to draw the line at skunks... I might have looked up wild animals that are safe to eat. Long and short in North America if it has fur it should be safe to eat... Skunk I don’t think I could eat..

Just Incase I’ll pack a meat thermometer :)
    I just wonder what cooked temperature is safe to eat in those critters thou :)

Also @mtngoat bonus credit thou if you use the AGK..

Zeek and mtngoat like this.
  15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....cooked ??? .....I always eat my wombat and koala raw.... ;)

16. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

But how do you get the menthol flavor out of the koala, mine never seems to turn out right. Always taste like a cough drop. :cool:

Zeek and Jeff Randall like this.
  17. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy Member

Im just bringing my normal loadout,that way i have to use what i have,also with hopes of finding a new knife or two i cant live without!

Is there any grills or grates to cook over if we bring charcoal or do we need to bring one?
    What about shower area,or just bring shower bag to hang in tree?

18. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

There is or was a grate to put over a fire and I usually bring one or two also but no grills that I know of. There are no showers so if you want one bring a shower bag.

Strigidae likes this.
  19. Jeff Randall

For those of you who have never been to this class: you really don't need to worry about special packs or shoes. The most you will be walking is 150 yards from your car to the training area. You can do this class in flip flops or bare footed if you want. Camping on site. Bring firewood if you have it since we have not restocked up there yet. Fresh drinking water is available. Showers are not available. Porta-toilet on site. Point I'm trying to make here is this is like car camping at a primitive camp ground. Whatever you want to bring can be stored in your car and walked 150 yards to to training area. Leave your dogs and kids at home. We don't like either unless they're ours.

20. Jeff Randall