Winter Overlanding Overnighter Disaster

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 21, 2024.

1. SofTwoody88

SofTwoody88 Member

Nexxtime feed the boy some of these ;)

Everyone loves a blue waffle.. 20240125_163233.jpg

2. Kryptonian

Kryptonian Member

Until they Google it.:confused:

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and ASH like this.
  3. ASH

ASH Member

TerryD likes this.
  4. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Get away from fuel burners and go to this:

IMG_2573.png

5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

New ESEE TRUCK, I like it :D

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

radiator is blocked with a big folded canvas tarp.

i run 0W40 Delvac synthetic - due to the engine being a commercial truck engine (in Italy they run these engines in 5 ton trucks)

temp issue is unique to these engine blocks, the thermostat is self contained in a housing, and cannot be changed out for a hotter stat. This was to meet US/CAD emissions specs . It’s too low a temp stat . The only option for a hotter stat is to buy TurboDieselFreaks (LostJeeps) custom machined housing , which allows the use of a 195 deg stat, one that is easily replaced unlike the factory housing / stat combo. But it’s also $1000

also these engines were NEVER meant to have emissions equipment (egr/egr cooler/ low temp star) mounted on them . That’s why nearly 100% of the 2005 inline 4 diesel engines failed after 25,000 KM’s due to severe soot /sludge issues that caused the valve train to literally fall apart

trust me I know - it happened to the previous owner and it happened to me. Close to $8000 for the cylinder head, valve train parts, and $3500 labour .

In summer I run 15W40 , sometimes up to 50 weight if I’m in the desert regions of BC and I’m crawling up hundreds of KM’s of mountain FSR’s in 40 - 50 deg C heat

I could run 0w30 in winter but it’s not recommended by the engine mfg . 0W40 is still zero weight until the engine gets warm .

The Marsh Gorilla and Jtallen83 like this.
  7. ASH

ASH Member

I know about those vm engines in those jeeps. I was the head tech at the local Jeep dealer, after 5 years I ran away.

Those engines had 5w30 specced in some markets. The 0w30 has a 10 degree lower pour point and running below temp will put the viscosity close to a 40 at normal temp. The oil I linked should be the esp which is rated for European diesels. I think it would be worth the trade off for easier starting in those conditions.

Bushman5 and Delkancott like this.
  8. ASH

ASH Member

Actually, what I learned from this report is to buy a Subaru if I ever decided to venture north.

9. erik

erik Member

my 100% stock 21 forester w/original battery was sluggish to start at -15F (-26c), but did it every time during our cold snap earlier this month.

Bushman5, ASH and Delkancott like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

maybe I’ll giver a try although it’s warming up above zero C here now.

11. SofTwoody88

SofTwoody88 Member

It's 11°c in my hood right now :D

Bushman5 likes this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

$700 CAD (multiple taxes, hazmat shipping included)

big ol Group 65 Odyssey Extreme truck battery heading my way . 1750 hot cranking amps, 980 CCA . AGM construction , 75 pounds of engine starting goodness.

Every ambulance , fire truck , police cars , SAR trucks in BC run these heavy duty batteries.

Should be here Wednesday

IMG_5247.jpeg

Buying another one next month. Along with a 300 amp alternator, 0/1 gauge pure copper welding cables and copper terminals, industrial adhesive 5:1 heat shrink, plus battery switch / isolator

The Marsh Gorilla and erik like this.
  13. ASH

ASH Member

I'd put that in my new Subaru for the stereo.

Bushman5 and TerryD like this.
  14. TerryD

TerryD Member

I know some folks with the Odyssey batteries in Xterras have to add diodes to the voltage sense line to increase the charging voltage to keep them healthy as AGM batteries don't have the same cell voltage that a flooded battery does and it seems the Odyssey are more sensitive to that than other brands seem to be.

I've had an Autocraft Platinum AGM in my Xterra for several years now but I let my NOCO Genius 10 do a full optimization charge during every oil change to keep it healthy. I'm not sure if that would work the same for the Odyssey as well.

Bushman5 and ASH like this.
  15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

careful with the solenoids etc so as you don’t end up with two flat batteries (as me how I found this out in remote SW Queensland) . To do this right you should look at a quality DC/DC charger (ctek, Redarc etc) that way you ensure each battery is getting the charge you need. I have a ctek unit as it was in the 76 when I got it but would probably go with Redarc if I were buying today. They all generally have a solar input so you can hook a a panel/blanket to keep charge up if you are parked. As a truck driver I don’t need to tell you to keep a close eye on your GVM as welll.

TerryD, Bushman5 and ASH like this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I’m a little worried about that too, but I do have a NOCO 5 amp AGM battery charger I can install under the hood and plug in every few weeks when parked.

I reached out to the alternator maker and inquired about that diode issue. They are willing to work with me and tweak their build . I should know more in a few weeks

TerryD likes this.