Winter and Cold Weather Hiking

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by DiscoveryLover, Dec 29, 2022.

1. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

From a previous thread of me hiking in cold weather, @Ballenxj suggested I post what gear I hiked in.
    I was hiking in Canaan Valley, WV during the 2022 Christmas winter storm with freezing temps.
    One day was 8F with -15F windchill, next day was warmer at about 10F and -10 windchill.

I dress pretty light, to keep from overheating since I walk fast.
    First is an Arcteryx lightweight wool watch cap/beanie, simple neck gator to cover back of my neck, ears and mouth.
    I wear either an Outdoor Research softshell gloves, or lighter fleece gloves. Both kept my hands warm.
    [​IMG]

For base layers I wear a cheap Coovy compression thermal top, like Under Armour, and an Arcteryx Reil button long sleeve shirt. Both are stretchy and wick moisture.
    [​IMG]

For pants I wear a Coovy thermal compression tights, and an REI Activator softshell pants. The REI pants are rain and wind resistant. My knees did get a little cold, but wasn't an issue. Plus a cheap 5.11 belt.
    [​IMG]

I also carry with me, if needed, an REI Talusphere shell rain pants. If it is raining or super windy I'll put these over my regular pants.
    [​IMG]

For a jacket I usually wear an Outdoor Research jacket, it has a synthetic removable liner and shell, that is a cheaper version of Gore-Tex. Blocks the rain/snow and wind well. Plus has armpit zippers to let heat out if needed.
    [​IMG]

Sometimes I'll wear a REI 650 down jacket, and an Arcteryx Sidewinder Gore-Tex shell. The down jacket kept me warm, plus the shell jacket blocked the wind really well. Which has armpit zippers to let out extra heat.
    [​IMG]

If it's not as cold, I'll wear an Arcteryx Atom LT synthetic jacket for an insulating layer.
    [​IMG]

Datilite and Scablands Scavenger like this.
  2. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

For my feet I'll wear either Smartwool or Darn Tough wool hiking socks. Both perform the same for me.
    And Oboz hiking boots, they are waterproof but not insulated. Since I'm constantly moving, my feet don't get cold.
    [​IMG]

If it is super icy I'll carry Stabil Hiker ice cleats and slip them on my boots if needed. they make a huge difference on ice and slick surfaces.
    [​IMG]

For packs, I carry a Mystery Ranch Scree 32L pack. Lets me carry a 3L water bladder and enough room to carry my rain pants and rain jacket if I think I'll need them, or stuff a jacket in if I take one off.
    For shorter hikes I use a Hill People Gear Junction 22L pack with waist pack carried cross body. I use a 2L water bladder and has room to stuff a rain jacket or attach a jacket to the outside of the pack.
    [​IMG]

Be interested to see what other people use, if similar to mine or totally different.

Datilite and Scablands Scavenger like this.