What is Your Favorite Training Regimen?

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Sep 14, 2016.

1. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

As above. Is there a particular drill that you like? Static vs. Dynamic? Combo?

2. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Playing hockey. This Thursday is my last game of this season which is the Championship game.

3. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

DJ, poor reading comprehension is typical of fans of NY sports teams.

4. Mountainmistwanderer

That's my answer and I'm sticking with it.

5. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I have a 100 round regimen I go thru at a minimum at the range. I like to start with (10) 1" circles. Firing 1 rd into each at about 8 to 10 feet. I do two 5 rd rhythm drills in 4" circles. Next, we like to do mag changes/malfunction drills. My buddy and I will load each others mags, with various round counts and spent brass. We typically run the rest on the 2-2-4 drill, and the lucky charms, where we call targets to each other. Rifle runs similar with more distance . If we have more time we do everything from El Presidente to figure 8 drills, to shooting behind concealment, VTAC 1-5 and steel. One of our favorites is the "Yankee Hostage" with ballons! Ball and dummy is thrown in every now and then as well. We change up during playtime, but always start with the basics focusing on grip, trigger reset/pull, and shot placement, diagnosing along the way. If you cant walk, you cant run!

6. DYSPHORIC JOY

Good stuff.

7. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

We also have been trying to incorporate kettle bell training, and PT. It makes shooting very challenging after you do 20 push ups. My training list for next year has Pat McNamara as my first stop. I cant seem to find a schedule for him since Alias went belly up. Anyone who knows of a schedule posted somewhere let me know.

JMJ likes this.
  8. Expat

There's good stuff here. I think hands down, the absolute best use of a box of 50 rounds is 1" dot drills. If you're putting 5 in one dot at 3 yards, move to 5, then 7, then 10 if you're able. Incorporating a moving while drawing and drilling the 1" at the varying distances is the next step.

The dot drill is the best there is for a short amount of training time. The best "qualification" course is the old Air Marshal course. I'll post it here later. (Most qual courses absolutely suck and prove nothing. The old FAM course is different).

MarriedTheMedic and JMJ like this.
  9. DYSPHORIC JOY

One of the drills that I used to do cold was 13 targets, ranging from 25 to 85 feet spaced 25yds apart timed. Each miss was 10 pushups or updowns. Would also sometimes do a 9ft wall hop then drag an eight foot piece of railroad track as a tiebreaker then repeat the drill for a winner. Hostage target at 80 feet was brutal in the dark. Distances were fairly unrealistic but purpose was to induce stress via punishment loop and force you to keep fundamentals in check
    Absolutely agree with this. Now add push-ups and up-downs. It is no wonder so many of those guys are Triple Nickel.

MarriedTheMedic and JMJ like this.
  10. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I always start with the dot drill to see where I'm at that day. I also like to play "follow the shot/horse". Where you shoot your partners bullet hole in the dot. Firing immediately after they do. Its amazing how well you can do this, if you allow your instincts to take over. If you focus to hard, you will almost always miss. We call noon, 3, 6, and nine to make it more challenging.

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  11. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I start with just loading the bullets in the magazine the right way

12. olderguy

olderguy Member

Oh crap there's a right way ?

13. Expat

Start with loading the right bullets in the magazine the right way.

I was running a range once and a student had a mess of a target. Every single round looked like it was tumbling. He shot like this for a couple of hours and didn't want any help. Eventually curiosity overcame me and I had to investigate what the heck was going on. Long story short? He was shooting 9mm out of a .40.

The takeaway is that it will work in a worst case scenario, I guess.

14. DYSPHORIC JOY

Don't want to mess up the thread with stories but...guy responded to hostage situation without his mags. Hunting fugitive on mountain, shotgunner made entry, you guessed it, empty.

15. Expat

This may not be a training regime necessarily but one of the mistakes I see in new shooters is the idea that you wait until you get to the range to practice. The vast majority of handgun work can be done dry in your garage or basement. Stance, grip, draw, holster, scanning, moving off line, mag reloads, sight alignment, sight picture, etc., etc., etc. Even trigger pull can be done.

Reasons you don't wait until you get to the range to practice those things:
    1. Range time is valuable. Use it for the shooting portion.
    2. Most ranges don't allow you to train properly. Their artificial training rules prevent good training (without adding safety, by the way).
    3. Range time is not enough time to ingrain weapon manipulation as a part of you. (Read my post about what level of proficiency you should get to).

JKPirate08, MarriedTheMedic and JMJ like this.
  16. JMJ

JMJ Member

I do this a good bit at home, my wife and I practice and make it a competition with our laserlyte trainer target and the .40sw module. I'm glad y'all started this subforum, a lot of these drills are new to me and I'll be starting to implement what I learn here!

Thanks!!!

17. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

All my manipulation drills are done at home with snap caps, I try to get at least 50 reps throughout the day, drawing, sighting, and dry fire. Wife thinks I'm, different?

JMJ likes this.
  18. Mountainmistwanderer

Had a great time last night. We won the Championship game in hockey. The final was 9-5. Awesome game. 5-5 going into the 3rd period but up to that point both teams would trade for the lead. But the 3rd period we did a complete shutdown on their offense.

19. Expat

Please tell me your the Flyers.

20. Flsurfer

Flsurfer Member

Been getting back into shooting. Im going to practice some of the drills.