What are the Scales made of?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Asron87, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Asron87

Asron87 Member

I buy Esee (I keep buying Esee) for the scales on there knives and I have a project that I'd like to use the same scales on. Where can I buy the same material for scales? I don't make knives and don't really know much about there scales materiel. I just know it's the best material for a handle that works best for me.

Can it be sanded or does it need to be molded? I don't want to buy already made handles just to cut them to a completely different shape. I'm looking for the exact material to make scales for some homemade tools. Hell I'd even prefer to buy scraps from Esee just to support the company. I need them to be about 6ish inches long, 1 inch(ish) wide, .75 inches(ish) thick.

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Scales are made of Micarta.

If you cut or sand micarta , keep it wet and do not breath the dust. Wear a respirator or use a shop vac by the cutting/sanding area. Keep pets away from the dust especially, they can go into respiratory distress if they breath the dust in, or get severely sick by licking the dust off their paws

You can get cut to size https://www.eplastics.com/sheets/micarta/canvas-phenolic

You can make your own with old clothes cut , soaked in epoxy and stacked up in layers and pressed / clamped

Old jean legs cut into strips and soaked in epoxy and stacked up and pressed, make great micarta. Same with burlap, or even paper

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Kaw-liga, Zeek and Reno Lewis like this.
  3. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

ESEE uses a variety of micarta and G10. Green canvas micarta, grey linen micarta and a variety of different colors of G10. You can find micarta and G10 stock at most knife making supply stores in almost any dimension and color you could need, and yes, it can be sanded.

Micarta and G10 are both laminates. Micarta being layers of either canvas, linen or paper layered with epoxy resin, and then compressed under immense force. G10 is eseentially the same, but with layers of fiberglass instead of cloth or paper. It can be cut and sanded, but make sure to wear appropriate PPE including a respirator with proper filters, or keep it wet while working. Micarta and G10 dust is nasty stuff.

Depending on which knives you have, it could be any of the above. A pic would help:) And welcome to the forum.

Kaw-liga and Bushman5 like this.
  4. Asron87

Asron87 Member

Well my first project is to make a couple of lock picks. I've been picking for around 10 years off and on. I need to make a custom handle for a "hook" because my hand starts to cramp after an hour or so of picking. So I'm looking to make a thicker handle. I like my Esee knives because of the scales (the rest of the knife is perfect too). They grip well and absorb moisture. These lock picks wont be beat up or anything so I'm looking more for the moisture absorption part of making scales.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

will be quite easy to make...you would need 1/2" x 1/2" micarta rod, X whatever length you want. Drill a small hole down the center, drip in some epoxy and push the end of the lock pic in and let it set. .

sold by the foot and they cut to your length for extra.
    https://www.eplastics.com/LENATROD0-500

6. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

This video might help ya out if you decide to go the DIY route:)