Weird day at the cabin in the woods......

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I'm off work for the week. Slept all day Monday, then decided to get my lazy ass outside Tuesday.....

Spent the morning humming and hawing over which knives, flashlights, headlamps, and axes to pack.....Then spent another hour stuffing firekits into every pocket :D Finally got the ruck squared away....by noon :confused:......loaded up the Jeep with the 20lb'er of propane, the roofing torch, and the iron tripod I made for the dutch oven. I had planned to use the roofing torch to heat the tripod hot so I could beeswax it, kinda blacksmith finish......sorta....:rolleyes:

Drove up to the lil cabin in the woods, pissing rain and dark skies. Made a pit stop for some local brews and diesel and then drove to the cabin. No one around. All the puddles on the main trunkline and the spur roads were crystal clear, no mud stirred up. No one had been up here in at least a week.

Or so i thought. More on that later. o_O

gloomy day on the cutblock........hard driving rain and heavy cloud cover.

[​IMG]

not much wood left.......barely any actually. I had to axe this cedar from a downed tree.

[​IMG]

used the Bushcraft UK/USA official bushcraft fire starter thingy...(tiger torch, 80,000 BTU's) :D:D:p.....to warm the stove up and the cabin up prior to lighting the stove. Toasty hot in a minute.

[​IMG]

worked on the iron dutch oven tripod i made recently at work. Heated up the steel hot and applied beeswax. Didn't really turn out like i wanted it to.....oh well......the tripod will get used like twice a year.....no biggy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh well. The tripod is bomber rock steady. Time for Beer!

[​IMG]

Of course......there was garbage stashed away behind the cabin. ripped tarps, GROSS wet clothes, pieces of shredded rope etc. Im so used to this bullshit now, that i just go auto pilot and throw it on the fire.

This is where sh*t got weird.

:eek: really f***ing weird.

Slade, CWB and Klynesquatch like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I had gut feelings and the heeby jeebies before..........but it takes a LOT to really spook me or freak me out. I've explored old mineshafts so old that merely walking in them made the rock creak and groan. I've blacked out in low / zero oxygen mine shafts and woken up still walking , 100's of feet deeper , where i don't remember how i got to that lower level of mineshaft.......

i've gotten the heeby motherf***ing jeebies driving and hiking along HWY 3 east of Hope BC, thru the canyon East of the Hope Slide and before Manning Park West Gate. At the rest stop where Clifford Olsen did some of his deeds. And there is a section along that stretch of isolated road where its always dark and foreboding. The air is thicker and its always still. No birds, no wind no nothing. There is something there, something I cannot explain. I took a buddy from Japan thru there one year, on our way to Manning Park .......and at the same place east of the Hope Slide where i always get the heebie jeebies....he suddenly exclaimed loudly "this is a bad place, very bad omens". <<<that f**king freaked me out because i never told him about that area......

that sh*t gives me the heebies big time.

but today was different...........im not one for superstition or anything.....but.....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    Slade and Klynesquatch like this.
  3. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Type faster!

Willow, Bushman5, Slade and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

After I worked on the iron tripod for a bit, and after i burned and piled up the garbage and soaked it in diesel/gas mix and burnt it, i took a break and made some lunch/dinner. I used the dehydrated veggies i recently processed ,and soaked them prior to adding noodles and boiling the works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rehydrating before boiling

[​IMG]

on the stove in my MSR Titan Kettle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmm! freaking outstanding !

[​IMG]

fully satiated with veggies and noodles and spices, I continued to gather the garbage , clothes, etc and burn it in the firepit outside the cabin.

break for knife/ax pron!

[​IMG]

cleaned all the garbage up. Took some notes / drawings and measurements of the cabin, i have some plans for upgrading some things inside of it, and measured the stove pipe diameter (it needs replacing before winter.)

Walked outside...................................................................................................

..........................................and saw this:

Slade likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

at this point in the late day, its getting darker. That did not help.

I had been away from the outside firepit for about 30 minutes. When i left the firepit there was wood , two long pieces and smaller wood underneath, plus the garbage.

i walked out from the cabin and saw this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yea. thats right. THAT! a ******* effigy thrown into my fire. An effigy the size of a very small headless child.

While standing there looking at it, i smelled a fresh lit cigarette. I looked towards the main trunkline road and saw an ember glow about 50 feet away. The glow walked away down the road.

I ran out onto the trunkline and shone my flashlight down the gravel road. Nothing. nothing but the wisps of cigarette smoke.

WTF!!?

Slade likes this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I pretty much packed up, smothered the fire and drove out. Saw nothing , nobody , no vehicles on my way down the FSR. (3km).

im really f-ing weirded out by this.

Klynesquatch likes this.
  7. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Happens to me all the time. Not sure why you're weirded out.

Bushman5 and JAD like this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

um.....Tim,........WTF! i turned my back on the outside firepit , went inside the cabin to measure some stuff and came back outside 30-40 minutes later and found that thing on my fire......

******* freaked dude! \
    \

Slade likes this.
  9. JAD

JAD Member

Someone is messing with you really bad.

So you need the following.

BIG Flashlight
    BIGGER DOG
    Night vision goggles
    12 ga riot gun

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Im serious. If i had the Predator MiniGun this evening,,,,,,,,i would have spun in a 360 circle and opened fire.

11. JAD

JAD Member

On a completely serious note you really do need a dog. I wouldn't go near that place again without a loyal dog at my side. They would sense something and give you a warning.

Willow, Bushman5 and ManOfSteel like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

no one has ever gotten that close to me while i have been camping........literally 15 feet and i did'nt pick up on it..............im pretty sure the 10" thick logs muffled any sound.......and i had not set up my usual trip wires connected to bear bangers, cuz i wasn't overnighting.....

frivkking weirded out big time.

13. Benson X

Benson X Member

That is definitely creepy to the max! :confused:

Just reading this made me uncomfortable and made me wonder about a few things:

- Is that figure wrapped in red packing tape?

- Who, where, and why would someone have a figure made like that, or was it constructed on the spot for the sole purpose of freaking you out? Maybe it was used for target practice prior to the "cremation"? I doubt it was any sort of ritual/magic, as it seems too crude and hastily-made for that.

Maybe someone has been living in your cabin, and wanted to scare you away in order to continue doing so (at least for the night)?

Or some stupid kids followed you up there and saw the opportunity to pull a prank.

Either way - it is a pretty f'ed up situation altogether. I know I would be obsessing over it, until I went back up there with a boomstick, and a buddy or two, to investigate further.
    [​IMG]

Tashunka witko likes this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

it was red packing tape, and the filler was paper. It was mouldy.

15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

and yes im going back........that place is going to be trip wired in a 2 klick radius . buying the bear bangers Wed morn. I fully intend to get the outside fire pit going 10' tall x 4' round.....and i full intend to sit on the outskirts and observe.

somethings up there.

16. JAD

JAD Member

@Bushman5 -- Before you go back up there again make sure you designate to me, one of your good axes (and a knife or 2) in your last will and testament. Remember me and @Benson X were the only two guys that took you seriously. @timdgsr just made fun of you. I wouldn't leave him anything.

Bushman5 and ManOfSteel like this.
  17. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Wow, that's nerve racking to say the least. I would have a very good light with me a Fenix TK 75 or a RC40.

Maybe who ever crap you've been burning made this thing up and has just been waiting to try and scare you. It had to be premeditated.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  18. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

That's pretty weird @Bushman5 , I don't know if I'd have hightailed it out of there or gone hunting.
    Pretty creepy regardless.
    Take a few good torches when you go back.

19. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

I'd be letting the wood cops know about that. I would think someone is living up there and does not want to be found. Next thing you know some stupid kids end up dead and you won't have a cabin to go to anymore... Especially considering the amount of past nut jobs B.C has had hanging out. Present company excluded of course :p

Bushman5 and Wolfman Zack like this.
  20. Slade

Slade Member

Appreciate the heads up on the trip wires. I'll have to watch out for those. I was just cooking some potatoes in the fire and was out of foil so I had to improvise. When I came back with the cheese, butter and bacon you were nowhere to be found....

Klynesquatch and Bushman5 like this.