water

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Zeek, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

Number one priority by far!!! I'm thinking more of an emergency preparednesss situation. Hell... there's still about ten thousand homes in NEPA without power since last Friday's storm. :confused:

What are you guys doing?

I'm trying to mix it up. Usually have several cases of bottled water that the kids use for sports, etc anyway so the stock gets rotated.

Have a few of the Aqua-Tainer containers.

Then a few of the micron filters and finally there is the damn pool in the backyard I figure I can use.

2. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

I have a combination of bottled water, 1 gallon jugs, Coleman Blue 5 gal containers.
    Berkey Royal filter system.
    Rainwater 55 gal barrel system
    Plus Sawyer and Lifestraw filters
    The bottled and jugs of water came in handy a few years ago when we had the chemical spill and couldn't use the water for about 5 days.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

We have bottled water, frozen water in the deep freeze and a hand crank well pump. I do have filters etc as well... the nice think about living in the country on an old farm is that the shtf situation everyone preps for was everyday life when this place was built.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I save all my bleach containers.....they are food grade and have built in treatment :D

as well as 2liter bottles.... rotate the water out with fresh every 6 months.

buncha 3 gallon bleach bottles and a bunch of 2 liters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got the Katadyn ceramic gravity filter and 2 x 5 gallon buckets as well. And a coleman stove and MSR XGR multifuel stove to boil water.

5. ASH

ASH Member

I have a spring.

6. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

If I lived up north I'd keep a couple food grade 5gal buckets with lids, all that fresh snow. Fill buckets and set them in house overnight, morning you'd have water to boil/filter if necessary.
    Don't use the yellow snow Gear Bryles:eek:

Bushman5, Kaw-liga, ASH and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I like the Zephyr Hill's stackable 1 gallon jugs (they probably don't have that brand in NEPA, it's bottled in FL) and have 24 gallons neatly stacked on top of our fridge and out of the way. That's in addition to the two or three cases we keep in stock in the pantry, and life straws. Last hurricane season it was one of the #1 items that folks we're scrambling for down our way. It was heartbreaking to witness so many without a plan, but like you mentioned it's got to be a priority. We stay stocked up because we don't have a well (but would like one).

8. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

Water is a big issue where we live. We have quite a few 5 gallon water jugs and cases of bottled water in the garage.

9. Hammer

Hammer Member

Zeek and Jeremiah Jones like this.
  10. Black5

Black5 Member

Bottled water, a 55 gallon drum in the laundry room, spring fed pond, and a well that's was capped when city water came in. ( It's one of my projects.)
    Plus a gravity flow filter for the pond water.

And the coup de grace: the oldest child has a degree in some water wizardry that allowed him a supervisory job at a water treatment plant changing toilet water to Dasani or something.

Does he get a chemical engineer degree? Nooooo...he wants to play in turd water....oh well....:confused: