Vehicle Recovery...

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Andy the Aussie, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Moderator of the Century Staff Member

.....or a video on some things not to do..... ;)

....not posting it to be a bastard but there are a bunch of issues with that recover, watch the part on the first attempt to "snatch" it with a rope, look at the direction the front wheel of the Troopie being recovered are pointing when the pull is attempted and the driver of the struck vehicle presses on the power..... !!!!!! A little better when trying to go back the other way but not much, I also have my doubts the struck truck was in 4wd. There are too many people just dicking around in the way when there is load on the ropes, not sure what they have attached off on but if something steel lets go the crocs would easily get a fresh meal. Even the guy in the bucket of the loader should have relocated when the strain went on.

Easy to sit and be critical when it is not your truck there and the weight the water flow was adding to the process would have been enormous, but all that was needed at the start was to get the front end of the truck back on the crossing (it has a concrete base) and pointed in the direction they wanted it to go.

I will add, I have fished and driven across that very spot, it has an inordinate amount of BIG bitey lizards present and I would have to be HIGHLY motivated to get in the water just there (yes people have been eaten at that spot), if no one was trapped in the truck I would probably have waited to the tide to drop.

So as a start, what are your thoughts, tips and techniques for getting a struck vehicle unstuck (yes not getting stuck in the first place is the best idea ;) ;) ) ????

DYSPHORIC JOY and TerryD like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Moderator Staff Member

Thats a rough recovery. Maybe building up a rock pile in from of the tires to ramp it up onto the road? I assume it was stuck on the axle or frame. Maybe a hilift skip could help?

3. Andy the Aussie

In that case (knowing the spot) I think it is only the one wheel that has dropped off the crossing proper. Turning the front wheels in the direction of pull, having it in low 4x4 and easing on the power inline with the tow vehicle (not trying to "snatch it with a normal rope) should have got it up. Biggest thing to overcome here was the water but they did only need to bring that one wheel up and it should have come. I get them not wanting to spend too much time in the water though.....

C99c, Strigidae and TerryD like this.
  4. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, so I'm with you Andy. It didn't seem like it would have struggled so much to get back on track in 4 low. Maybe the drop off is more severe than I think, but it was strange they couldn't just get it lined up and out. I agree, the biggest issue was the number of people all around that line.

5. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

So I wouldn't say I have a ton of off road recovery experience but I have definitely pulled a few trucks and various other tractors, four wheelers etc. out of sand, mud and snow. With probably 20+ vehicle recoveries I have never had to "snatch" a vehicle out, just slowly taking up on the chain or static strap with the tow vehicle before giving it more gas and having the stuck vehicle turn their wheels the direction of travel and use a moderate amount of gas and they have always come out. Now out side of one 60 horse john deere tractor buried to the axles in a black mud swamp I have never had to pull a vehicle out that was truly buried in mud to the point where the suction was the main issue, in the case of the deere a cat d6 dozer with a winch up on hard ground made quick work of getting the tractor out.

6. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Working on building the infrastructure here at the farm to do some off-road vehicle winching and mechanical advantage classes.

Strigidae likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Snatch Straps are great when you lack a great recovery vehicle. Using the stored energy in the strap (ie it's return to rest from stretch) you can pull out a much larger vehicle from a sucking stinkhole with a smaller one that otherwise may not be able to do the task. I carry both a "winch extension strap" (ie pull strap) and a snatch strap and the particular circumstances of the situation will dictate what I use. Given I am often ALONE the snatch is not lots of help :D but there is a strong ethos here that you carry what it is you may need even if you can't use it alone. By that I mean if I need pulling or snatching out of trouble with the aid of a stranger (who in Australia, if you are really lucky, is NOT a serial killer or escape convict intent on killing and raping you - probably in that order) you should have all the gear to simply require them to aid your recovery. It's considered impolite to both need their help and the use of their gear. Not saying any will leave a person stranded but it makes asking for the help easier.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Strigidae and ASH like this.
  8. ASH

ASH Member

Well I see a few problems right off the bat. First of all I don't see any beer anywhere secondly I don't see anyone yelling "hit it and hold it!" , So I'd say they're pretty well doomed.