Tuning broadheads help

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Rook52, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Rook52

Rook52 Member

So I'm shooting a compound for the first time in 8 years. I just picked up a Mathews Halon 6, when I shot before I used Rage mechanicals. I really want to shoot Slick Trick Magums fixed blades so I bought a pack. I'm noticing the broadheads are planning. I think I have to turn my nock to "tune" the broadheads but I rather not dull all my heads tuning them. Anybody got any tuning advice or tricks??

GaryMc likes this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

3. Vtach

Vtach Member

4. rileybassman

rileybassman Member

Paper tune. Planning is usually due to the arrow not coming off the rest absolutely straight. Also make sure fletching is clearing the rest.

Paper tune and walk-back tune (use 20 yard pin on tall target and walk back in yardage and adjust so the drop is perfectly level.)

I would buy an extra set of heads or blades to tune with... just my .02.

5. Vtach

Vtach Member

Starting with paper tuning is actually a good idea to make sure things are good there before moving into bh tuning.

Also, forgot to mention this the last time I posted, dont forget that shooting big fixed blade bh's like the trick magnums will really amplify any flaws in your form. Any torquing issues that may not show up obviously when shooting field points will be noticable when shooting big fixed bh's. just a thought.

Either way, id start back with paper tuning like bassman said then move on to the bh tuning link in my previous post.

6. karlkortemeier

karlkortemeier Member

I have found tuning fixed blades on a compound very difficult with the newer high speed bows. I can get it awfully close, but never perfect. After a lot of frustration, I started taking mine to the local archery shop.

7. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Shooting crossbows now ehh!
    So what's the low price on the well used Black Widow?