TSA compliant multi-tool

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by TerryD, Jan 14, 2024.

1. TerryD

TerryD Member

The Gerber Dime Travel and Leatherman PS Style are both out of production so I'm having trouble finding a decent substitute.

I'm looking for something to carry on a cruise as everyone (family) always asks me to fix/repair stuff when we travel. Would rather not have to put together a full tool kit but might just get some small pliers and a cheap multi-bit screwdriver.

C99c and Jtallen83 like this.
  2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I've been on the same multi-tool quest for years. All my multi-tools and guns are TSA compliant since I refuse to fly, boat or ride on anything controlled by TSA. With that said, I'm still looking for a small, lightweight and quality multi-tool. Been using the skeletool for several years now. Has everything I need in a small multitool that clips to your pocket but the blade and blade heat treat is pretty much worthless. I've gone through several of them thinking I got a fluke. Nope. Just have to re-sharpen it every time it's used. I'm fine with that for what I use a multitool for but I'm still on the hunt for something small with a pocket clip, screwdriver, pliers and blade.

C99c, TerryD, Strigidae and 1 other person like this.
  3. TerryD

TerryD Member

SAK Deluxe Tinker might be for you. No pocket clip but it does have a key ring.

I'm thinking about a small, cheap multi-tool and replace the blade with a spacer at this point.

C99c and Jeff Randall like this.
  4. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

While it has more tools than you list, I've been very impressed with Leatherman's ARC and it pocket carries very well.

C99c likes this.
  5. C99c

C99c Member

Flying to where you'll board? Even a tool modified to remove the blade might not make it through. Different cities, different agents, different rules no matter what the actual rules are.
    I think I'd just throw together a small tool kit, and maybe pick up a Vic Jetsetter.

I've bounced around on small multitools. Currently using the Free P2. Heavier than the Skeletools it replaced, but better toolset for work.
    The Skeletool was nice for non work hours when paired with a small Victorinox with scissors, but the clip sucked, among other things. There are aftermarket options, but then you're at least $100 in and still have the blade issues Jeff mentioned, week bits and a liner lock that is very sub par.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    Delkancott and Jeff Randall like this.
  6. TerryD

TerryD Member

This time driving but still gotta pass ship security. No knives on board. But I would like something to travel with in the future.

C99c likes this.
  7. C99c

C99c Member

Bladeless Rebar. Kind of forgot about it. I still know two people that have had TSA say nope, but technically it's legal.

https://www.leatherman.com/knifeless-rebar-465.html

Just don't take it off the boat when docking in other countries. One guy on another forum used his to fix something off the ship and the local police confiscated it because of the saw.

8. C99c

C99c Member

Also not a good idea to try the pairing/kitchen knife thing. Local LEO tried that without realizing that those little islands have the internet and the internet has made the pairing knife in a pocket sheath made from cardboard/tape/scrap plastic common knowledge. Was an expensive lesson for him.

9. TerryD

TerryD Member

I have no intention of doing anything like that.

I picked up a cheap pocket screwdriver and some 6" needle nose pliers from Walmart. Around $10 if they take them both for some reason. I may take the handle off a small file because they are super handy but I don't want them to think it's a weapon with the sharp point.

I hate being able to fix stuff but not having the tools..... It REALLY aggravates me.

C99c likes this.
  10. TerryD

TerryD Member

Well, carnival cruise lines doesn't allow you to have needle nose pliers, even if they are under the 7" TSA limit.

And it wound up that I really needed them on the trip, twice.

I hate today's culture of fear.

Kevin likes this.