TREATING AN OLD GORTEX JACKET

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alan Woods, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Alan Woods

Alan Woods Member

I have an old, about 20 years, North Face Jacket. It is still water proof and in very good shape. I am going to Austria skiing in a month. What is the best way to treat the jacket? Like I said it is still water proof, but the outer shell soaks up water now instead of it beading up and running off of it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

2. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

wash your jacket and put it in the dryer, should be instructions on the tag. Some want you to dryclean them and iron. It's supposed to reactivate the outer waterproof lining. Nikwax has this spray bottle stuff that works on goretex, you squirt it onto your jacket and then put in the dryer. I've had minimal success with either of these. But as you're going skiing you'll be ok I think. water wouldn't really bead off it anyways.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  3. Rich275

Rich275 Member

Cold water wash with a small amount of powdered detergent, extra rinse and then a normal tumble in the dryer.
    Find a spray-on DWR treatment and apply after drying. It may need another trip in the dryer afterwards.
    The detergent should not have any optical brighteners or bleach.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Washing soda by itself is good for this.........Strips out any oils , salts, etc from the fabric, and leaves nothing behind.

Lucy Fehr likes this.