Tops Perfect Storm: 12”x 1/4” seax

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Solo, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Solo

Solo Member

This looks very nice for a car carry chopper. Very intimidating looking. I love the Viking lore associated with the seax design.

2. IW17

IW17 Member

I love the blade, but the handle, like with most tops knives, gives me pause. They're just overly complicated. I feel like with knives, and guns for that matter, simple is usually better. Nothing wrong with having good ergonomics, but start adding finger grooves and sharp lines and it's too easy to alienate an overwhelming number of potential users.

Twoody88 and Solo like this.
  3. Solo

Solo Member

I agree with the handles on Tops. Many nice blades ruined by flashy handles. Which is why I own many ESEE and no Tops.

If this seax had a traditional/historical Viking or Roman sword handle I would be all over it, for urban survival. I drive through potland and schizattle often.

IW17 likes this.
  4. IW17

IW17 Member

Agreed. I really like the blade on their El Chete model, but again, the handle just looks uncomfortable. Who knows, I might love it? But the resale value for tops knives isn't strong enough to gamble on.

Solo likes this.
  5. Solo

Solo Member

I have never bought a knife to resale. I buy them to use as tools. Got a good box of tools now. Only ever sold one knife. I meant to keep it as my goto. But the purchase process was so fouled by g******d I couldn’t keep it. Bad juju all over it.

IW17 likes this.
  6. IW17

IW17 Member

I don't either, per se. But if I don't like something and it won't get used, it's getting sold. And I'd take a pretty big hit selling a tops knife bought new. So I'd only gamble on one if it was off the secondary market and I know I could get my money back.

Solo likes this.
  7. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Ive parted with absolutly everything that doesnt get used regularly. You guys nailed it with tops..The sxb handle was my biggest let down.. love the blade just not the way it fits my hand. Buy and sell is a great way to narrow down exactly what works for you..great way to get blades in the hands of those who might not be in a position to pay full retail for that exact tool theyre after too. Id never leave 1000s of dollars tied up in tools im not using when i could pass them on for better suited ones. Im sure if i was rich id have a diffetent perspective though lol !

Solo likes this.
  8. Solo

Solo Member