The May/June week...

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Andy the Aussie, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Just home from a week back up in the bush, probably my last trip away now for some months. Nominally I was hunting some deer (still need to cull) and of course hogs.

To be 100% honest I was pretty lazy on this trip and spent as much time in front of the fire with a book as I did hunting (I was also alone for the week which also suits me fine). I did manage to slot one tidy little boar …

[​IMG]

And my mate who makes knife sheaths wanted some sow hide for an inlay (the boar hide is thicker and much harder to work he tells me)...soooooo…..

[​IMG]

….those two hogs are two days but only about 50yds apart.

I also took a couple of does early in the week and like a dick though I would skin one later on for “me appropriate” sheath inlay but of course as the week progressed I didn’t get a clean shot at a doe in a spot where I could work so that project is shelved till later in the year.

I was joined at the old hut but a small little of rabbit kittens who were very wary of me early on but by day five were pretty ambivalent to my presence….

[​IMG]

…there was a nasty old feral cat hanging around hunting them but it was unsuccessful as best I could tell. I heard plenty of instances of it bolting around the verandah and such at night but no change in the number of kitten by morning. Yes, I should have killed the cat and rabbits but comes a point where you sometimes just need to watch the world pass as well.

Oh…and they mustered while I was up there, I was taking in the sun when they pushed a mob of about 200 head past me….

[​IMG]

And that was that, I can’t say I didn’t find the inactivity this time around very relaxing and not at all boring, in reality I need to do it much more often.

2. Lockster

Lockster Member

Awesome photo of the rabbit, amazing.

Great to get away, I took my father and two sons out for a bit of bush time in a local (ish) pine forest today, its just so therapeutic to get out and sit around the fire, we cooked some sausages on the fire and enjoyed the mateship of men( and boys) sitting around the fire, just as men have done for millennia. In a society gone mad, it is one of the few pockets of sanity left intact.

nathan shepherd likes this.