The LeatherSAK....an all steel, all locking Swiss Army Knife from Leatherman parts.

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by TuffPossumGear, Aug 30, 2018.

1. TuffPossumGear

TuffPossumGear Member

So I am a fan of the Swiss Army Knife style knives. But there were some things missing. mainly a locking blade (yes, I know there are locking blade SAKs, but not too keen on the whole push button locking style and all), but also just too many unused tools. So I set out to build the perfect one based on my needs.

BEHOLD, The Victim: A Leatherman Wave:

wave 1.jpg

Disassembly time:

wave 2.jpg

Close up of the new upgraded Phillips head from the Rebar. Perfect drop in replacement.

wave 3.jpg

End view:

wave 4.jpg

More Disassembly:

wave 5.jpg

If you open up a leatherman wave and lay it flat on the handles in an upside down T shape, there is an 8" ruler scribed on the inside. So I was careful to make sure I used the handle with the beginning (1"-4") of the ruler, for my build.

But the bolster on the other handle had a hidden lanyard ring, so I made sure to steal it and install it on the handle side I am using.

wave 6.jpg

The eyeglasses screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, and scissors will all be friction lock only. No locking for them. One problem though. The holes on them are 3/16" (6/32") diameter. But the outside diameter of the Chicago bolts up at the top axis is 7/32". So I arranged with a machinist friend of mine to ream those holes out to the correct diameter for me later this next week.

One problem. there is super thin washer between all of the inside handle tools. 0.006" thick. I can't ream out those to fit in that top axis OK with those tools that will be reamed out.... luckily the outside accessible blade also have a washer each of the correct 7/32" inside diameter. And I just happen to have two left over from the serrated edge and file tools.

But they are 0.010" thick. No problem, my machinist friend can very easily use a air powered little sanding tool with a scotchbrite sanding pad to knock off the extra 0.008" on the flat head screwdriver. Bingo!

OR not

wave 7.jpeg

That happened to all the tools I tried to ream to go in that end where the pliers head was. Oh, well. I will get a spacer machined to fit that so I can really tighten the head bolt with loctite one of these days. But it works tolerably till then.

The LeatherSAK (swiss army knife)
    wave 8.PNG

Hoover77, mmbackpacker, jdh and 10 others like this.
  2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Great job! I like it

TuffPossumGear likes this.
  3. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Nice work man.

4. TuffPossumGear

TuffPossumGear Member

Thanks, guys!

5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

very different! cool!

6. TuffPossumGear

TuffPossumGear Member

Thanks. bushy!’

Even better is I saw another guy who made one based off of mine, but with a Black Oxide finish Leatherman parts! :eek: It took it from cool to bad@$$!!

BlueDogScout likes this.