The Double Gun

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, May 6, 2017.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

We're spinning your requests...

I know there are some serious double gun enthusiasts here with some really nice pieces. About time the double gets its own thread.

Post pics of your O/U, SxS, your .600 Nitro Express, whatever.

I'll start with an L.C. Smith. And my Randall. The Elsie's gone, the Randall's still here (although no longer in pristine condition).

[​IMG]

I expect great things from this thread. So, GO!

Strigidae, Wisdom and Theodore like this.
  2. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

This work
    mad-max-poster.jpg

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  3. Expat

Sure. That's surprisingly related to the topic by this forum's standard.

wilas101, Scrap, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

When I grow up I will have a double rifle. Something in .458LOTT would be nice though I would actually get more use out of a .375H&H double as I do truly enjoy hunting with that round. Till I grow up I will just have to be happy with my 101 Winchester when I need two barrels... ;) ;) I will snap some pics when next I am in the safe... :D

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  5. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Parker VH , Filson, and a Bird & trout. IMG_0782.JPG

6. Expat

HOME RUN!!! Love all three.

Might as well have the best there is, as they say ;)

Theodore likes this.
  7. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I IMG_0795.JPG Bespoke IMG_1007.JPG Arrieta 28 ga

And 12 Ga...to afford such gentlemanly luxuries things like shoes must be sacrificed...

8. Expat

Your priorities are on point.

KMCMICHAEL likes this.
  9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Side x side Doubles are the classiest possible item item a man can own. The possession of a fine bespoke double its owners initials set cleverly into the engraving nestled in its own custom oak and leather case endows a sense of accomplishment and success to any man, no matter his actual station in life. Such a possession allows the hunter to traipse about in an old truck,ragged clothes and no shoes and still feel slightly superior to his companions with new vehicles and the latest accoutrements from Bass Pro. Especially if he can exhibit skill.

Many Americans have a fondness for the Doubles built here in the states in the heydays before WWII. The Fox is my favorite. These guns were a marvel of mass production. In some ways the Winchester Model 21 surpasses them all. It is extremely strong and can handle heavy duck loads for several generations of hunters. Yet I must admit, even as a proud American whose family came here in the early 1600s, the brits perfected the SxS shotgun. The Holland and Holland Royal is the consummate game gun for shooting winged targets. The Purdy, although a more clever action offers nothing in advantage. Not as strong as the American guns, true but those that use 1 1/8 oz loads at 1220 foster can get several lifetimes out of these gems. Too expensive for the average fellow? YES! However...you can get an almost identical gun built Basque region of Spain for a fraction of the original.

Over/unders? I love them for targets. I have possessed Italys finest, but my preference is for the overbuilt bull strong Krieghoff K-80, a marvel of German craftsmanship and engineering. Although the original design was a Remington 3200, the Germans drastically improved it. Mine was built in 1996. I acquired it ten years later and have put at least 150,000 rounds through it. It has two 32" bbls, one for skeet with Briley tubes, the other a fixed choke trap bbl with fixed chokes bored out to .015&.025. I use it for trap and sporting.

I prefer double triggers(DT) on SxS and single on o/u. Many of us on this side of the pond dislike DT as did I in my youth. I was shooting guns too small for my frame. After lengthening the stock, I much prefer the instant choice. After one round of skeet, anyone can master the DT. Another dilemma that plagues us in the US is why does the front trigger shoot the more open bbl? Would it not make sense that the rear trigger should shoot first, then as the gun slides back in recoil, the front trigger should discharge the more tightly choked left barrel as the quail departs the area? Indeed John Olin had several win 21s made for himself with that configuration. But, the SxS was perfected on the driven grouse butts of Britain where the incoming birds usually dictate that the tighter choke is fired first, doves coming in to a desert tank is the closest thing we have, and shooting the tighter choke at the trailing bird then following through to the leading bird with the open choke can be very effective.

This is the end of my first installment of this masturbational meandering.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  10. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

I still breathe through my mouth, so my "double" would be a Benelli, duct taped to an AR! How's that for classy?

Zeek likes this.
  11. Zeek

Zeek Member

Pics...

KMCMICHAEL likes this.
  12. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Class has degrees. I prefer a Benelli to an 870.
    My uncle made sure I had unlimited access to M-16s,M-4s, 870s, MP-5s, UMP-40s for many years. They somewhat lost thier charm.

I also would like to see a picture of this combination.

Zeek likes this.
  13. Expat

I don't mind the MP-5. In the same way I don't mind shooting BB guns.

However, the UMP's are like Indian food to me--couldn't ever develop a taste for it.

14. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I agree on all counts. The MP-5 is cool mechanically. We did melt two UMPs. This fact was hidden by the higher ups that wanted to make it a standard issue for the old BS one cartridge for both handgun and long arm idea.

I live in a predominantly Hindi neighborhood, lots of Indian restaurants. I have found nothing I like. Pakistani food is a little richer but still not my thing. However, Arab and Greek food...get out of my way and pass the mousaka!

15. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1445.JPG K-80 and bushcrafter, I only compete informally now but I shot The gun so much that I can't part with it.

Wolfman Zack, Wisdom and Zeek like this.
  16. Expat

Is that Trap or Sporting? The rib height seems in between the two?

17. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

It is the old step rib. The bbl is bored out to .015&.025. I adjusted the hanger so it shoots flat on the bottom barrel. I also have another bbl for skeet, both are 32". If I were doing it again, I would get the high ribs like a trap and use it for a everything. It allows for a much more upright head for bigger field of view and less eye strain.

18. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1446.JPG This is my spare target gun. It has skeet tubes. I used it for inclement weather, usually a mistake. SKBs were a very underrated gun. They were bull strong due to the Kersten bolt.

19. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1447.JPG IMG_1448.JPG This is the highest grade Arrieta that I had made. It is a 20ga rounded H&H action. I carried it many miles tromping after pheasants. (There is a thin line between pheasant hunting and a bunch of idiots walking miles through a field. I was never sure.)

Blatant bragging, for hunting practice I shoot skeet with a low gun and do not call for the bird. My first round with this gun I shot a straight including station 8.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  20. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1449.JPG An AyA from the late 60s. It is similar to a #2 but with a third bite for more strength and no hinged front trigger. I had the stock lengthened and bent. I used it on Blue and Gambels quail when I lived in NM. The metal is good but there are dings in the stock. Often one is moving rather fast in pursuit of these little running devils and the first signal you have that your foot is tangled in bob wire is a dirt taste in your mouth.