The Camp-Lore PR4

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Jeff Randall, May 26, 2017.

1. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Decided to try my hand at a dangler, it may or may not stay. I just use some aluminum hardware I had at the office, if I like it I’ll swap the hardware to stainless I have at home. I thought about a snap so you could take it off easier but I don’t want to loose it due to a popped snap.

09D59246-5DEC-493B-8200-D13DA9E841AE.jpeg F8045015-DF90-417B-8F4C-7094B2E52438.jpeg F1C48095-9292-49C4-A9E4-C60F204BF182.jpeg

Zeek, Nether, Strigidae and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nether

Nether Member

Nicely done. Altho, imo, you should reverse the screw head side to the back and have the nicer side in front. Looks cleaner, nicer. Not that it matters. Ok, it matters :D

Unless you had a suitable reason for it.

3. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

No reason just wasn't paying attention when i put it together, Ill do it when I get home and put the stainless hardware on.

4. nogyro

nogyro Member

Any more impressions from those who have used the PR4 in the field? Videos of your experiences are even more helpful.

I like the concept of the thinner 1/8" spine, particularly with no jimping, but wonder if push cuts will wear more on the thumb with the less rounded spine on the PR4. The ESEE 4 & 6 are comfortable to me if I choke up and my thumb rests beyond the jimping. I know there are always gloves, but...

Anyway, its great to have these new options!

5. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

I'm sure this will get taken out of context... =)
    But I almost always tend to use a fist grip or reverse fist grip when using a knife. Very seldom do push cuts for anything. So it wasn't designed with them in mind. Probably wouldn't be very comfortable for long with the handle the way it is and the 90 degree spine. Hope this helps!

6. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I don’t see how this could be taken out of context at all @Patrick Rollins :)

Zeek likes this.
  7. nogyro

nogyro Member

Thanks Patrick. Always interesting to hear (or better see) how others use steel.

I must say that I like the straightforward design of the PR4 though I normally do not warm up to spear point blades. Personally, I don't hand drill and my Lightening Strike doesn't get out often.

I'm thinking the PR4's 1/8" blade could make it a light weight standalone for hikes, general goofing off whittling, and a good intro into the Camp Lore line.

8. Nether

Nether Member

I love that black-oxide-stone-wash finish ESEE/Rowen has put on the PR4 and the Expat cleaver. I wish all ESEE knives were finished like that. I also think it would increase sales. We all know how vain people are about outward appearances.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  9. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I carried my PR4 on a trip this weekend where we covered about 80 miles of trails and forest roads in the Tacoma in one day. It handled fire prep, general camp use, and food prep very well. Needless to say it was a rushed trip, but I still got a few photos I'll post in another thread. However, here was a fireside shot of the PR4 pulling some good curls.

mtngoat likes this.
  10. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I’ve got to play with mine a little at the office, it does make som nice curls on a chunk of poplar I have there.

11. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

12. nogyro

nogyro Member

Got my PR4 today and took a few comparative photos. First is a look at the spines of the 4, PR4, & 3. I tried to align the blade's sharpened edge. Note that the background has 1"squares.

The PR4 thickness near the handles are the same as the 3's; however the 3 quickly tapers down. Even still, the PR4's balance point is further back just behind the first screw due to the longer handle.

Next, a side profile of the three knives again aligned with their starting edge. Finally, the same comparison with the Laser Strike. Note that the taper shape, grind, and spear point are similar.

I normally pocket carry these and the Izula's but wanted to try the PR4 leather sheath for a lighter belt carry around the yard and on hikes. My all round favorite, the ESEE 6, will be carried when there is wood to be split and the Junglas will still be the principal for chopping and general mayhem.

IMG_4513.JPG IMG_4511.JPG IMG_4514.JPG IMG_4515.JPG

Zeek and nathan shepherd like this.
  13. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Ok so I finally got the time to wax my sheath

Before
    3ACD75AF-C26F-474C-B3DD-D4076593920A.jpeg

After
    6A632305-BC7F-41C7-AA6A-B41D1D1193D9.jpeg
    0321180F-910C-415E-8DFA-0FA23D0AB5F5.jpeg

Smells like honey still, I used pure bees wax and a heat gun on low. I didn’t have the facilities to melt toe wax and dunk the sheath, we’ll see how this holds up I may dunk later.

nogyro, Zeek and nathan shepherd like this.
  14. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Looks good!

15. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Thanks, I did the same to my RB3 Sheath but the dark color on the PR4 looks really good

nathan shepherd likes this.
  16. msu7.62

msu7.62 Member

What material are the scales made of? G10 or Micarta? If they are Micarta has any one dyed the scales yet?

17. Seanoin

Seanoin Member

I wanna dye them black

Zeek likes this.
  18. msu7.62

msu7.62 Member

Me Too!

19. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yeah yeah... do it !!!

20. msu7.62

msu7.62 Member

I also have a set of natural jade micarta scale blanks that I will try my hand at making a set of handles for this one.