Survival kit build for a coworker

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bushman5, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

This is the start of a survival kit build for my coworker trucker. He often rides his dual sport motorbike in the backcountry of BC.

his bike has two saddlebags and a top bag. I asked him if there was room for a 6"x8"x3" pouch in his cargo space, he said yes.

so tonight I started a survival kit build for him.

slowly gathering components, this is what I have so far:

- British Royal Marine "Osprey" brand trauma kit Molle pouch (no tear out med kit insert inside anymore). My idea with this pouch is that it will hold all the kit, and if my coworker needs to abandon his bike in the woods, he can put the survival kit on his belt. I'll be removing the black first aid logo, clipping the zipper pulls and replacing with paracord pulls with CitizenE GITD micro donuts, as well as silicone greasing the zipper assembly.

- Esee tin. Storage of survival kit gear, plus cooking/boiling water/gather berries etc usage.

- Cyalume chemlights - marking his bike/campsite, signalling, night light usage etc.

Lots more to stock , but he is pretty stoked about this idea. Even tried to throw some cash at me, but that's not how I operate. I'd rather spend a few days in the woods and train him on skills, train him on the kit, etc.

This will be an ongoing thread , with regular updates - STAY TUNED!

E6777C06-D324-4F18-8D50-046B289553D0.jpeg

Cutting / Multi Tool wise, I'm thinking of adding a Swiss Army Knives German Army issue One Handed Trekker , an Esee 3 serrated neon orange fixed blade knife, a Silky Saw Pro 170 folding saw

I'll be adding about 6 or so @5col Whirlpak roll up water bags for water gathering, UCO Storm Matches , a small @EXOTAC FerroRod , 50 pack of TinderQuik's fire tinder, and more

still need: cordage (various sizes) , fishing kit, purification tablets, wire in various sizes, led headlamp, signal mirror, ground to air signal panel , compass, local topo maps, spare batteries, micro flashlight, waterproof pens / pencils / RITR notebook, survival / navigation cards, flagging tape, duct tape, emergency food, and more

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Matterhorn, TerryD, Twoody88 and 2 others like this.
  2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Suggestion: a Pop-Smoke. A location marking smoke flare. In a non Bushcraft color like purple or red. Once you know SAR is within sight range, you “pop smoke” and vector them precisely to you.

Twoody88 and Bushman5 like this.
  3. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

I got lotsa 550 I can donate.

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

And some smoke that will make you forget where you are all together... it also emits a strong odour that can be smelled from long distances away

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

no o_O:D

6. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

7. T.A.

T.A. Member

550 was the first thing that popped up in my head. But already mentioned lol
    But seriously, can you really have too much 550 lol

And super glue for cuts

Bushman5 likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

going to add a bundle of blaze orange 550 , plus a spool of NANOcord

9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Have you given him the gift of knowledge though Bushy ? You have this to impart !! All the gear in the world is of much less use if the person does not know it's function and versatility !

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the gear is an aid. He already knows a lot of wilderness skills, he grew up rural.

skills are very important. But when a person is cold, wet, tired, hungry, they fall back onto what they know - muscle memory. Very few people are going to go all bushcrafty / hardcore survival training in those situ's. 99% of people know gear. Let's not kid ourselves here. There's a reason a Bic is so popular

the recipient of this kit is not like us. He's a 60 year old trucker working 50-60 hours a week , dealing with health issues, plus his wife's health issues and aging family health issues.

he is not like us. He doesn't go out all the time and make bowdrills, fire ploughs , flint and steel, Trad Bushcraft cups , shelters etc

Most expensive knife he's probably ever owned is a buck 119.

this kit is an insurance policy so to speak.... he'll prolly never use it , BUT, if he does, in an unexpected situ, he knows what 99.999% of the kit is for. As will his fellow riders.
    Just saying

If you had a situ in the woods, would you not be ecstatic to open your truck and find gear like this???

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    Matterhorn and Twoody88 like this.
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Here’s another suggestion. A laminated numerical list of the contents. This does 2 things. #1 it give basic user directions for an item that the recipient may not be familiar with. #2 imagine yourself in a becoming dire situation. You’re standing there going “ Ohcrap Ohcrap!” and you open the kit, first item over the contents, The List.
    Once you pull that list out and go “Ok…” and start reading down , your breathing slows, your heart rate drops, reading comprehension kicks on, blood pressure normalizes…now you’re a survivor in THINKING mode and not a sheep in panic mode. ;)

BlueMule and Twoody88 like this.
  12. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

That's true.. if you can't roll the smoke your trying to go up stream without a paddle
    Great idea. Especially for others who may open the kit to tend to your needs

Bushman5 likes this.
  13. BlueMule

BlueMule Member

aside from purification tablets maybe a sawyer straw or life straw, they are pretty small and easy to pack and effective as well and will pair up with your roll up water bags

Twoody88 and Bushman5 like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.... you miss my point Bushy, not saying you have to teach him to bushcraft anything but to know how to make use of what you are providing him and more importantly when to. You have said he grew up rural and that probably means he knows already but what I was getting at (not taking a shot at you either) is that the gear is of little use without the knowledge. I know people who would have a pocket and console full of lighters but would not know the basics of building and starting a fire that will last and warm them. You know what I am saying.

Strigidae, Bushman5 and Twoody88 like this.
  15. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

I think he's trying to say you need to buy him more expensive things

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Oh absolutely , I wasn't inferring otherwise. He has excellent bush skills, has spent decades riding, camping in BC's woods. His brother is an drill instructor sergeant here in Canada and takes him out into the bush hunting all the time.
    He just doesn't know where to start survival kit gear wise and was really keen on me building a kit for him and taking him out in woods to use it. He has no idea where to get quality gear. Hence where I come in.

I'm absolutely going to to be taking him out into the woods with the kit, and going Thru every items usage (some are multi usage) with him.
    Set up a scenario where he breaks down 100kms up a ancient FSR, it's raining, night is approaching, too far to walk to the nearest farm etc .

make him utilize the kit to build a emergency shelter, get a fire going, purify water, etc etc

Matterhorn and Twoody88 like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Some of the components of the kit, arrived today from the always awesome crew at BLADES CANADA

- SOL 5'x7' heavy duty grommeted / reflective / blaze orange shelter tarp
    - SOL Silnylon XL micro bivy bag - blaze orange
    - STORM whistle - blaze orange
    - German Army Issue SAK (I didn't go with a multi tool because he already has one)
    - 550 paracord neon orange
    - 550 paracord neon green
    - SOL micro signal mirror / floating / with sighting lens

more to come.

4EB8368B-AF2A-4432-A7B2-A87AC7E60924.jpeg C34C42F5-B8DF-4838-99A1-CA317590258F.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    Bluelew and Twoody88 like this.
  18. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Good man you are bushy !!