Survival Fishing Hook Challenge! Hooks Made From Bobby Pins

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by FlowerOfLife, Nov 22, 2016.

1. FlowerOfLife

FlowerOfLife Member

Decided i wanted to try to catch a fish on something other than a store bought hook so i took some of my wife's bobby pins and went about shaping and sharpening them until they resembled fishing hooks. I did this for fun and too see if i could make a fishing hook out of everyday items in a theoretical survival situation.
    I took both of my kids to the lake near my house and gave my home made hooks a shot at one of my common carp spots since my favorite bass spot was covered up in boats.
    we managed about 6 or 7 bites on carp with sweet corn as bait in about 2 hours on the water. i found the longer shank hooks i made were too easy for the carp to bend out, but the smaller hooks i made were just about perfect.
    a carp hooked itself and stole one of my rods over the side of the boat and after that a few minutes later we caught and released a nice little 4 or 5 pound common carp proving that you could make a functioning fishing hook out of a bobby pin for small fish
    Been carrying my Esee jg3 allot lately and enjoy it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Strigidae, Moonpie and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  2. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Could you harden the bobbie pins by heating and quenching?

3. FlowerOfLife

FlowerOfLife Member

im not sure but the same thought occurred to me, gonna try it will paper clips next and see if i can get them to work