Some may have seen pics of the Marlin 1895 I came int possession a little ago.... ....decided that the stock and forend needed a little sprucing up. A few weeks ago I stripped and acid washed the wood work.... I steamed out the majority of the bumps and bruises and then gave it all a fine steel wool rub. With the weather here nice and warm I added a little stain (darker than I had originally intended but it looks as though it worked. Started adding layers of BLO/Turps/Dryer today.....woood just lapped it up.... ....after three good coatings I have cleaned the excess off and locked it away for a few days to see how much more it needs.