Snugpak bag liners?

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Clown, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Clown

Clown Member

I'm thinking about purchasing a Snugpak Jungle sleeping bag. It seems like a versatile piece of gear. I would be using it for tent and hammock camping. Reviews say it it suitable for temps down to the mid to upper 40's.

I'm hoping that adding bag liner would allow me to use it on the occasional winter trip (temps around the 30 degree mark).

Snugpak has several different liners available. Does anyone have experience with any of them? I'd be shooting for the lightest liner that would get me to that 30 degree comfort mark.

2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Clown my friend I have used the Jungle Bag for several years. I am a “hot sleeper” but I’ve used mine without a liner into the mid 40’s with no complaints. I don’t have their specific liner but the addition of a thinsulate poncho liner has carried me into the high 20’s-low 30’s ( below freezing) I even went into the upper teens by adding a nasa casualty blanket ( one of those plastic tarp space blanket things). As long as you have a decent pad under you it’s a good lightweight system.

My 2 complaints are #1 the fine tooth zipper. Mines has gotten jammed a few times on an errant thread , not unfixable but just annoying. I always wished it had a big tooth ykk zipper. And #2, all the ultralight stuff claims it will compress into this tiny little bag. Lies lies and dammed lying liars my brother. :D. I bought a waterproof seal line bag for mine because I live to paddle but take my word for it....NOT going to crunch down into the basketball sized storage bag they send you.

3. Clown

Clown Member

Great tips! Thank you. So it sounds like I can definitely make it work for colder weather. Just need to find the best combo item to go with it.

anrkst6973 likes this.
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I got my thinsulate liner many years ago thru BQM. HPG might be your source today, Idk... the emergency blankets can probably be source thru Andy at 5col

5. Clown

Clown Member

I've got a space blanket already and usually carry it for emergencies.