Revolvers

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by JAD, Nov 19, 2016.

1. JAD

JAD Member

Revolvers have definitely declined in popularity. But not all of us have lost our love of owning and shooting them. I decided to post this up here instead of on the gun forum. These are my Ruger GP100's in the Wiley Clapp limited edition that was done by Talo.

[​IMG]

Both have a matte finish, a satin stainless and a Hawkeye blued (matte black). They are built on Ruger's L-frame which is their workhorse frame in .357. These are high cycle/round count pistols. Both are fitted with Novak low mount rear sights.

[​IMG]

The stainless has a fiber optic front mount and the black has a more traditional brass bead.

[​IMG]

The guns have nicely "melted" contours for ease of draw and holstering. And despite their mid-sized 3" barrels still weigh in at 37 oz. They're heavy.

[​IMG]

My holster is a George Lawrence custom. I traded another member (whose name escapes me) for it. The saddle mark would date it from the 70's or early 80's.

[​IMG]

Speed loaders and speed strips for more firepower. Speed loader/strip is an oxymoron. There is nothing fast about them. I have trained to develop some rudimentary skill with these. Truth be told, I better get the job done with the first six rounds or I am a dead man by either beast or bad guy. :eek:

Beautiful details on these pistols like the wood inlaid grips.

[​IMG]

These guns are a blast to shoot. Their weight makes them manageable for even smaller women to comfortably handle. My daughter is 120 lbs and loves shooting these pistols. They are fairly accurate by my standards (21 foot range distances or self defense proximity). Full loads definitely get everyone's attention on the range. .38 spl +P loads are great through them combining stopping power and accuracy. Needless to say I like them because I bought a set.

Let's see what some of you have.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I used to have a GP100. Heavy gun. Mine did not look anywhere near as nice as yours. I think I still have the 2 x 2 loading pouch that I used with it--ha!

3. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Beautiful! I'm a big fan of Ruger revolvers, or Ruger in general for that matter.

4. JAD

JAD Member

I rarely shoot the black version as I bought the stainless first and had all the rounds through it already (last count is just under 900). So I've kept the black model fairly pristine.

The best part is watching my 3 kids argue, in front of me of course, about which 2 will get the pistols when I'm dead. :)

5. Ausher

Ausher Member

I really like the Wiley clapp 3" gp100's. May be my next revolver purchase. But here are my two...
    [​IMG]

JAD likes this.
  6. JAD

JAD Member

@Ausher -- do the Rhino's recoil as advertised with the bottom barrel? Less flip and more push back?

7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

My 686s before I had them modified to my tastes..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just home detail cleaning...

[​IMG]

Then after mods...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 4 I bought new @1989 and the 4 I got used (barely) in 2010. Both are -3 versions.

They went back to S&W here for the bead blasted finish and to have the red ramps converted to patridge fronts. Both had trigger jobs at the same time. I alos replaced the rear sights with Millets (the 4 had worn those since the 80s). Both shoot much better than me !!!

Some old 3inch K Frames... not a great pic, one of these was my personal and one issue...

[​IMG]

Dennis Adams, Pilot, Datilite and 2 others like this.
  8. Ausher

Ausher Member

Yes. Recoil Feels like it's all in the palm of your hand. Real easy to shoot rapidly.

9. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

The only 2 I own, my SP101 and my wife's airweight with laser grips. I have always wanted a Redhawk in 44m and a Colt Python. I very rarely shoot for fun anymore and concentrate on my carry guns and skills, so these get little use.

[​IMG]

Pilot and Zeek like this.
  10. JAD

JAD Member

@Andy the Aussie -- WTF man. Thoughts and observations

1) It must be hard not being able to own guns in AUS anymore!??!o_O
    2) Your 686's are sweet.
    3) That takedown photo is good stuff.

@Baldcutnut -- I own a couple of Airweights, the 642 and 442. The 442 is set up for my wife and resides in her dresser. She likes just pointing and shooting (no safety, no magazine, no slide rail, no brain for her--that was just a joke honey). I've thought about the CT you have on your wife's. But never made it happen yet. My worry would be a dead battery from just sitting there for years on end.

I sometimes just slip the 642 into my pocket for a run to the gas station or store. And I will also take it for a walk in the woods with a speed strip for reload.

JMJ and Tashunka witko like this.
  11. Tashunka witko

Tashunka witko Member

Those ct batteries last longer than you think. I've had a set on my 442 since 2005 and have only changed them once. Second set still going strong.

12. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

1) The hardest part is keeping the two safe fulls I have clean ;);)
    2) That they are, a mate at work just bought a -6 or similar 686, nice pistol but just don't float my boat like the older ones.
    3) Yes, if you are going to own something you need to be able to fix it as well. Practiced on a number of Govt K Frames before I took to my own years ago :D:D

13. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Crimson trace has free batteries for life program and will replace the battery once a year. I have numerous pistols with laser sights and have found them incredibly useful. I order new ones every year and replace them so I know they are always good.

14. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Man, Bundaberg Ginger Ale is about the best drink I've ever had in my life! I can occasionally get one at Rocket Fizz but that's about it. I wish they were sold here more often.

Stone likes this.
  15. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

Few things could be more delightfull to me than this thread. Thanks for posting.
    I´m a revolver guy and I used to dream on two choices for carry, the GP100 Wiley Clapp and S&W 329PD. The problem is...I live in Brazil...

16. Tashunka witko

Tashunka witko Member

One of my favorite revolvers
    [​IMG]

Pilot and Zeek like this.
  17. Tashunka witko

Tashunka witko Member

18. Tashunka witko

Tashunka witko Member

Both 41 magnums

JMJ likes this.
  19. Stone

Stone Member

<revolving>

I'm a Ruger owner, also.
    LC9s. Semi, but it revolves.

Oh, hell fire and brimstone,
    this is what I meant to say.

I, too, have owned revolvers.
    Mods 65 and 642.

Traded both to move east.
    Now own said semi named above in 9.

But you're lucky: I didn't post the music vid
    I'm listening to now in Sony studio phones ..

20. Tashunka witko

Tashunka witko Member

You got a high power Nem?