Reptiles and Venomous Creatures: Encounters and Identification

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Sep 8, 2016.

1. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

2. BrianRowe

BrianRowe Member

This is a canebrake rattlesnake(Crotalus Horridus) I found a few years ago while messing around on a airplane patch here in S.C. Canebrakes are by far the most prevalent rattlesnake species here where I live, but thankfully they represent lower envenomation numbers than copperheads. The consequences of a bite from these can be pretty bad.

9DE2DE99-6D87-4A04-993E-85D9AB90AC97.jpeg

Josh, Zeek, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Moderator of the Century Staff Member

One from the news here.....

https://www.news.com.au/national/qu...h/news-story/36033061f425439edbb1274e38a38570

..... that is a freaking big Eastern Brown (for the uninitiated they are suppose to be the second most venomous land snake slithering).... !!! Five feet a bit thicker than a garden hose is much more common.

This is a pic from a couple of years ago....the mother was taking it and didn't realise what it was moving behind her daughter initially....

[​IMG]

Josh, DYSPHORIC JOY and Strigidae like this.
  4. Josh

Josh Member

Ok so ya that is wild. I had to look it up. Apparently they are the #1 Venomous snake for Venomous snake bites in Australia.

Joy

5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Moderator of the Century Staff Member

Yes they are, the Inland Taipan is the most venomous but they reside in the most remote, arid and areas with the least habitation so encounters are rare, only bite I am aware of in recent years was one being held by an idiot in a collection just north of me here. Next come the Eastern Brown then the Coastal Taipan. If you look at the areas inhabited by those two on a map it is clear to see why the Eastern or Common Brown (as it is also known) has more encounters with people. I have had Eastern Browns in my suburban backyard for example.

Josh and Strigidae like this.
  6. Josh

Josh Member

I was talking to a guy in India once on the phone. He was from Microsoft support. Really nice guy. We got talking for a while waiting for updates and the such. I asked him if he ever seen a cobra in the wild. He said no and asked If I saw a rattlesnake. I said no. I explained where I was from and while they are around just very rare. He said the same about cobras. He said he would be more afraid of rattlers than cobras.

Australia just seams to take the cake as far as places that want to kill you. 5 of the most deadly venomous snakes, Salt water crocodiles, sharks, giant spiders, deadly jelly fish...

I Definitely want to go there regardless.

BrianRowe and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.