recent purchases thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JV3, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

It does , my spyderco warrior was H1 and first I was really disappointed with the cutting , but after use for a bit it became wicked sharp

2. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Got it in today. I'm surprised on how sharp it came and while the handle feels good in the hand, I thought it had a little rubber on it or something for grip. It is only a $10 knife though and I'll put it to use. 20190510_113641.jpg

JV3, koolaidnd, The Warrior and 4 others like this.
  3. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

It is small. I wanted a small full serrated hawkbill for slicing open plastic, strap, cardboard and other trashy stuff at work. I still carry a plain edge folder.

4. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I’ve had similar experiences with H1 in the past. In a couple weeks I expect it to be nasty.

5. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Well...today I signed the official document terminating our contract to purchase the home we've been working on the past 5 months.

It started as a local renovator finding an old farm home and asking if we were interested in it once it was completed. We enthusiastically said yes and dove in. As things progressed, it went from a business relationship to an actual friendship. She allowed us to help with the process along the way and we really enjoyed getting to help.

With the house being nearly complete, we ordered our home inspection and appraisal to complete our obligations before our closing date in 10 days. Unfortunately, the home inspection came back less than favorable. Long story short, there were several structural issues that were overlooked by the subcontractors hired by the person we were working with. Lot's of termite damage in the garage/barn area that was either overlooked or hidden. The entire roof on the house, down to the ridge, rafters and possibly ceiling joists would need to be replaced. Major ventilation issues under the house, causing water damage and sagging in one of the rooms (the sagging was leveled back in December, but due to not fixing the water drainage/venting issue, this would be an ongoing maintenance thing). Among many other things, all hidden under the work that's been done.

We estimated that it would probably be $20,000-$30,000 to get the house up to what we would consider safe to move into. Not willing to raise our budget by that much and not wanting to ask the seller/renovator to decrease her profit by that much, we decided it was best to just walk away.

We've learned a lot of lessons, and will probably be looking into new construction. Thankfully the state of Texas allows home buyers a very brief period of time to terminate a purchase contract for any reason with no forfeit of the escrow money they've already put into the deal.

OKcherokee, Drew RedBear and Zeek like this.
  6. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Im so sorry sir. My heart is broken for you and your family. All that work... im so sorry.

7. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Thank you. It definitely wasn't an easy decision. Us raising the sales price to cover the cost of the repairs would have put us well into the $300k range and we're just no comfortable going that high. The seller can fix everything and relist the house at a higher price, as we were getting it for well below market value anyway. Whether or she knew about all of the damage being overlooked, we'll never know. But as a sign of good faith, we signed a document releasing her from any obligation to compensate us for money or labor that we put into the project. We're losing quite a bit, but that's the gamble we decided to take.

Bushman5, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  8. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Wow, so sorry to hear that! I think we've all enjoyed your posts of fixing it up. I hope something else works out for you.

Strigidae likes this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I will say what most of us are thinking.....that sucks...!! All the time effort and "heart" put into that job, I am sure disappointed is an understatement.

10. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

^^^^

Neilsen likes this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Well....... just bit the bullet and dropped $40K on a new car for Mrs Andy's (well actually it is for the pups more than anyone ;) ) ..... if I am not careful I will spend more on a 76 Series TLC that is calling my name just now as well.... :confused:

12. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Just bought a Predator 8K4 cue with a Revo shaft. This thing is the bees knees. Discontinued by Predator earlier this year to make room for their 9K series so I had a really hard time finding one. Super stoked on this.

69CE18B2-1F89-4EC6-9441-7479141C51C4.jpeg F13AE045-75FA-4440-9106-65CF4401425A.jpeg 9D5D9811-762D-4877-BA0E-BA9C1DAC53F8.jpeg A8ED2727-5394-4D0B-A3DF-AE2DACD436A8.jpeg 00B6286A-D1EA-4A21-B16C-FDAE631565FD.jpeg

13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

i have that same scale. For uh.......local Canada legal stuff. :D

great scale. :cool:

congrats on the pool cue :)

ManOfSteel, Drew RedBear and Zeek like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Damn BushTruck rabbit hole is deep and I've been falling for weeks now..............($$$$$$$$$)

distributor (Japanese original) was shot, and the mechanical fuel pump (2nd one replaced at 1,240,000 KM's) was weak in its output.......

new parts coming by Tuesday.....

up to $2000 in recent parts , STILL CHEAPER than fixing a modern vehicle.......esp since the BushTruck is 29 years.

Moved the truck tonight (been in the same spot on the street for two+ months now) , rolled it down the hill and onto another street. Van Police rolled by in a marked cruiser....older Officer (one of the 12 Police officers that had me at gunpoint many many months ago when I lost my **** over a neighbor vandalizing my SideKick) stopped and looked at me.......I waved and grinned and yelled "stuck Starter! need to break free the gears". He laughed and said "how many damn trucks do you own? & "at least your keeping busy and not keeping us busy". Officer laughed and drove off.

koolaidnd, Drew RedBear and Zeek like this.
  15. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Stay out of trouble this year. Looks like I’ll need to live vicariously through your adventure post this year.

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Pair of Tilley MA21 cargo shorts. Pricy but lifetime warranty on wear

Zeek likes this.
  17. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

[​IMG]

New vessel for the life giving necter known and coffee. Perfect fit for the cup holder on my lift truck

18. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

20. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Can’t let the vegetation get that long or you won’t find your twig or berries.

Drew RedBear and Bushman5 like this.