Overland free for all thread

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Strigidae, Sep 3, 2017.

1. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Yep. That was rain alright.

Strigidae likes this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Anyone had any dealings with Gzila designs? Looking at a few of their mods.

3. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I haven’t but let me know what you’re looking for. I’ll put out some feelers.

Strigidae and shaneadams90 like this.
  4. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

So I traded in my Rocket-Mobile ('15 VW GTI with mods that made 300hp and 400ft/lbs of torque, at 4" off the ground) for a different kind of fun-mobile this past weekend. MUCH easier to get in and out of, no having to worry about bumps in the road, and definitely looking forward to some dirt roads and more hiking/camping again in our future. Threw the basket on last night, and have the locks for the basket and a real spare tire mount on the way as well.

[​IMG]

Datilite and Strigidae like this.
  5. Strigidae

Anyone doing any upgrades or got any cool trip reports?

6. R Stowe

I could have sworn I already mentioned this, but you can add a lift to that pretty easily. They're more than capable on most forest roads and MPG for days.

7. R Stowe

My latest upgrade is still missing one very important backordered part. Fingers crossed it arrives in time for the Maine trip.

DYSPHORIC JOY and Strigidae like this.
  8. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I was looking at jeep to start working on but the misses said we will be getting a 4 runner instead, just probably not til next year so I’ll use the H2 as needed.

Strigidae likes this.
  9. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Yep, it's a pretty common mod for sure, and one I'll most likely look into in the future. A hitch, lift, wheels and tires are all likely in the plan (what's the point of a body lift if you don't run larger wheels/tires for additional ground clearance and all?). There seems to be a slight issue that some are experiencing along with a lift of a slight vibration at right around 20mpg...seems there's some added vibration in the trans or drive shaft...so far it's been addressed using a "damper" mount of sorts, but that doesn't actually fix something that may lead to added wear and tear on vital parts.

Getting tint done this weekend. Back windows are already at 27% light transmission or so, but need to get the ceramic in here on other windows and heat/UV rejection. Sticking to legal limit (35%) in front driver and passenger windows, a clear-ish (barely tinted) film for the whole windshield and sun roof, and not sure about the back yet. May do the clear-ish to give me a more uniform look, or may do what a buddy did and add the 35% on top of it, for a blacked out back doors and hatch (cumulative was about a 10% light transmission)...just doesn't look uniform though. Decisions, decisions.

Strigidae likes this.
  10. RedEyedHog

I was going to add a winch but I bought an AR instead. Now I’m having buyers remorse because the Moderator of the Millennium told me I should have gotten a little.22 pistol.

11. Strigidae

Thats a bigger purchase than an AR. Unless you got the bumper and didnt tell me.

12. RedEyedHog

You’re such a negative person.

Strigidae likes this.
  13. Strigidae

Its why we are attracted to each other.

14. Strigidae

Did you get a bumper and not tell me REH?

15. RedEyedHog

No. I’m gonna tear the stock one up first. Just looking for the next left lane driver to use it on. Then I’ll upgrade.

Strigidae likes this.
  16. Strigidae

Had good experience with GZilla designs. Great communication and product.

The awning is super cool. Looking to sew up some side panels or something to extend its footprint.

R Stowe and mtngoat like this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

time for a new crank seal ,timing belt, water pump on the Tracker.....puking oil every day..............:D

going to remove the clutch fan while i'm at it and install a nice large electric fan

R Stowe, Datilite, koolaidnd and 2 others like this.
  18. Benson X

Benson X Member

Gearing up for our next 4x4 Wheeling Adventure. Going with a couple of my good friends that I've known for many years, and we try to do a (big) trip every year together. This will be our 6th trip together.

Original plans were to explore and cross much of Oregon and check out some OHV/Off-Road Trails that we've not ventured to. BUT....Oregon is a tinder-box right now, and the wild-fires plus exceedingly dry+hot weather has prompted us to change plans last-minute. Some places in Oregon have even closed off OHV trails and FS roads to prevent any travel and/or potentials fires. This would have diminished our 'off-highway' route and likely made for a pretty uneventful journey.

I spent time mapping a new route to travel the WABDR Northbound, then head East to explore the "Forgotten Corner" of our beautiful state. I've been up in that area once before, about a decade ago, during which the intent was to hike/explore (not wheel and explore). It is some seriously beautiful and difficult/wild terrain up there - and I'm really looking forward to getting up there again!
    WABDR & Colville Route 2018.png

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

20. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Been a little busy past few days, got a call from my step brother asking if I could help him move his stuff from his main house to his studio house because of the rising water. He told me his driveway was starting to floodo_O took 8 trips with a 20ft trailer to get all the crap out of the lower level (can you say "pack rat") :rolleyes:
    IMG_20180905_064459.jpg
    IMG_20180905_163730.jpg