Overland free for all thread

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Strigidae, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Jim

Jim Member

I am not related . He seemed to have had a non-offroad Airstream trailer at some point

2. C99c

C99c Member

Nice setup. We just picked up an '07 Sport in that color. It's going to be my wife's DD and our roadtrip/exploring rig.

3. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Wrong one. His supper prepper trailer had everything including coffee maker, spares, 5.56, etc. Quite the design.

4. Jim

Jim Member

So who is the correct one?

5. Jim

Jim Member

My 2005 4Runner V6 has 235,000 miles and no drivetrain problems. Mostly minor stuff; worn out front wheel bearing, batteries going out in TPMS sensors but not very many things.

C99c likes this.
  6. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Okay, okay. I've been away for too long, but I'll try to make up for it by sharing a few of favorite overland related photos here.

First off, here's an old shot of my Tacoma. Since this picture it has received a few upgrades, which I'll soon post, maybe in it's own thread.

[​IMG]

Here's the Taco and my buddy's XJ on that same trip.

[​IMG]

I've traveled with Mountain State Overland on several trips over the last few years. Here are a some highlights.

This is Cat Hole Road in New Hampshire and yes it's technically a road. They must have some huge cats.

[​IMG]

Mt. Washington at dusk is BA. So are ARB Intensity lights.

[​IMG]

Some where on gas company land in West Virginia. We traveled from southern WV to North Carolina mostly on gravel, logging, and back roads with as little pavement in between as possible.

[​IMG]

And for all you Rover fans out there this was taken at the first Overland Expo East. I'm not one show off my own photography but I'm getting this printed on glass or canvas and it's going to hang in the new house.

[​IMG]

I think this is an awesome addition to the forum. As others have stated I use "overlanding" as a means to visit cool places, enjoy other activities, and I've met a lot of cool people. While it could be arguably called offroading, or mudding, or crawling I think overlanding connects it with a larger community and also avoids some negative feelings towards some of those other terms. As always it's important to be aware of your impact not only on the environment but on others that enjoy the same activities as you. I'm looking forward to seeing how this subforum grows.

Datilite, Nowhere, timdgsr and 4 others like this.
  7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Way to debut with a bang!!

C99c and R Stowe like this.
  8. R Stowe

I had to represent. I also should have added you can overland in anything at least once, but seriously a regeared truck with 300lbs of stuff on top isn't necessary. Especially if your outdoors skills are honed. I try to keep my truck light and daily driver friendly, and you can take a truck a lot of places without a huge investment.

9. Benson X

Benson X Member

I got too many pics to go through - but here's one from this past weekend. Did a good portion of the WABDR from Rimrock Lake to Chelan, WA:
    IMG_20170910_121001767.jpg

Datilite, C99c, Zeek and 3 others like this.
  10. Strigidae

These pictures are what hooked me on this. The ability to get to the least traveled areas without a multi day trip.

C99c, Benson X, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  11. Benson X

Benson X Member

No doubt - I feel the same way! There is so much to explore in our awesome country, just need to get off the pavement to do it! :D

I need to install an aux. fuel tank to get 500+ mile range :)

12. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

The biggest complaint I have with this 4Runner is the small fuel tank. My next addition will be a rear bumper to solve two issues: get the spare tire out from under the vehicle and a jerry can mount.

Zeek and Benson X like this.
  13. Benson X

Benson X Member

I'm lucky to get 280 miles on a full tank, and that's if I drive conservatively.

High-clearance swingout rear bumper is on my list, too! I have to ratchet-strap the (overized) spare underneath to keep it out of the way so the rear diff. pumpkin doesn't smack it.

14. Strigidae

IMG_6725.JPG

Got a deal on some Treds online. Hope to use them to report back. So far theyve just looked cool on our last trip and have made a home for some spiders in the garage.

15. Jeff Randall

I almost got stuck in the sand in the desert once and those would have been nice. I know absolutely zero about driving in sand. I'd rather drive in mud any day. I understand mud.

Strigidae likes this.
  16. ozbushy

ozbushy Member

Haven't used these though I do have 2 sets of maxtraxx and they are great for sand as well as helping in ruts, mud and anywhere else you could use a little extra traction.

Strigidae likes this.
  17. Jeff Randall

Are the hard boards better than the roll up type? I would think they would be. I know nothing about these things since we always just piled rocks and sticks in the rut to get traction. Was just thinking the roll up type would be easier to carry.

18. Strigidae

They are a hard plank style. Apparently they if doubled up or so can be bridged across things.

19. R Stowe

I've considered the same thing, and there is at least one brand that folds just in the middle. They're called Traction Jack and Go Treads fold into several sections. I think it's all about the obstacle you're most likely to find. If you need to do tons of bridging you can still buy the old school metal sand ladders. I have the TRED Pros. The dual density plastic part made sense to me and they have a great replacement policy if you crack one. They're great for quick deployment when you just need a little extra traction.

20. Strigidae

We did quite a bit of stick and rock ramps under the tires on our "adventure" just to keep our middle from dragging.