Our First Outing of 2018

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by OutdoorsFamilyMan, Mar 16, 2018.

1. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

The stress of life has been building up so it was time to release it. The kids didn't have school today so we packed up our gear and headed to the local Metropark. We arrived and were the only ones there (or so we thought). Just as we were leaving the parking lot a guy walked by. There was no other cars there so I kept an eye on him wondering where he came from and where he was going. We went the opposite direction and I saw him make his way around the other side of the small lake. But as we got around to that side he was gone and must have went off trail through the woods. He wasn't dressed for the outdoors (just jeans and a heavy coat) so I figured he probably lived somewhere behind the park and walks in the back way to enjoy the park, but I just didn't feel comfortable not knowing where he was so we just continued around the lake to the car and left. We drove to another larger park nearby. We took another short hike to a little picnic paviliion that had a built in fireplace. I made a fire and heated up some hot cocoa for the kids. We sat around the fire and ate some snacks. The kids ran around and I enjoyed the fire a little longer. Then we packed up,put out the fire and headed back to the car and headed home.
    Here's some pics:

Hiking around the lake at the first park
    20180316_113257.jpg

Hiking around lake at second park
    20180316_124210.jpg

Pavilion where we had our fire
    20180316_124705.jpg

Gear loaded up (kneeling pad is wrapped around my hawk head because I dont have a sheath for it)
    20180316_124801.jpg

Gear all laid out (listed below)

20180316_125602.jpg

Fieldline Tactical Backpack...It was a cheap buy for a bag I can toss around and not worry about messing it up (it's comfortable but already falling apart)

Maxped 10x4 bottle holder with solo cook kit (didn't feel like getting it all out...will post more photos of that kit later in the cook kit thread)

The green Sea-To-Summit bag is my shelter kit--hammock, 10x10 tarp from Amazon and an assortment of stakes,cordage and ridgelines

Maxped Beefy Pouch contains a survival kit and redundancy

Red pouch is first aid and little black pouch is a tool kit

Pathfinder Bush Pot (this was its first time being used over fire) and a waxed canvas sack

2 sets of Sprongs, my Ti Spoon and my Ti Emberlit

Guyot bottle with PM Expat Sticker (Expat knives sticker on reverse side)

Kneeling pad

CRKT Woods Chogan Hawk (love this thing)

ESEE 5

Becker BK14 with clear kydex and Krytoglow scales

Arthos Knives 4" Survival Knife (review coming very soon)

My ESEE firekit was still in the bag

GettingPrepped
    20180316_131117.jpg

Getting Started
    20180316_131341.jpg

The tools wanted to be photo'd more while the water was heating up 20180316_133450.jpg

Hot Cocoa and Snack Time
    20180316_134842.jpg

The kids had a great time and wanted to go again tomorrow (not happening lol). I'm hoping this is the first of many trips to report for this year... thanks

2. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

20180316_144546.jpg 20180316_145254.jpg 20180316_144013.jpg 20180316_133723.jpg 20180316_133234.jpg 20180316_124239.jpg 20180316_124125.jpg 20180316_114533.jpg 20180316_113746.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    dhunley1, Strigidae, SEMO and 7 others like this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

Exceptional. You are a fine dad.

4. Stone

Stone Member

PS: the pink pack is an Eberlestock, right? :confused:

5. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Yes it's the Limited Edition Hello Kitty Run. ;) The sad thing is her pack is probably made better than mine. Lol

The Marsh Gorilla and anrkst6973 like this.
  6. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Man it's great to see you getting them out at such a young age....

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience!

7. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

8. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Hear you 5x5 on that. Had a 20$ wallyworld job that got chunked,dropped,dragged and dunked for 10 dang years before the first stitch would come loose :)

9. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Wow. They don't make them like that....mine had loose stitching before I took the tags off lol....its been on 2 big outings and is already showing signs of failure

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

Good job on introducing your kids to the outdoors. Looks like a fun time was had by all.

11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

that is a super cool covered picnic shelter!

you get homeless sleeping there?

12. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

13. Kevin

Kevin Member

The West coast of Newfoundland (The best coast)
    Great thing to do. Looks like a nice area. Thanks for posting.

14. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Thankfully no. Lol. There aren't a lot of really rural places to go that aren't privately owned near me unless I drive over an hour. (That I know of) The local metropark system is actually a great program that Toledo does (Imho one of the only things they do right). A handful of the parks offer tent only overnight camping with firewood provided for 20 bucks. This particular park is 20 minutes out of town and happens to be the park where my boys did their first and only overnighter a few years ago...Its also the largest park at 5k acres....The city just acquired another piece of property a few miles away from this park and has some pretty awesome plans for it. They hired Pete Nelson from the tv show Treehouse Masters to design a treehouse for the park. I've heard it's going to have plumbing for flushing toilets and running water and will sleep like 6 to 8. There is also plans for a couple tent platforms to be built in the trees as well. Pete designed it and the park employees and volunteers are gonna build it all. I'm definetly looking into getting involved so that I can get some early access ;)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  15. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Good stuff man. Get them out when they're young, and they'll want to be outdoors. My son did so much, he moved to Colorado to be in the mountains.

16. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member