Optics-calling you long range shooting nerds

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, May 10, 2017.

1. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

Zeek likes this.
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Leupold! Vx-11 4x12 works great for most all hunting applications. The mark 4s are even better. Milliradians work better for me when shooting long range targets. I'm not convinced there's much difference in 99% of hunting applications between using minute of angle or milliradians. We all tend to "help" the bullet, and ignore the physics regardless of the system we use. Straight duplex seems to help me not over think hunting situations, however milling is hard to live without shooting paper.

Expat likes this.
  3. ASH

ASH Member

What about Trijicon? I have also heard good things about Mueller, but they are at a much lower price point.

4. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

How close can you use the 4x? In other words, at 50 yards, is the 4x so zoomed in, you have trouble locating the target? I'm trying not to eliminate up close shots.

5. ASH

ASH Member

4x @ 100 yards is around 22' FOV, I am guessing that it would be half of that @ 50.

6. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

You shouldn't but that depends on the target.

7. Expat

Let's say he's 5'10, 196 lbs?

Or a deer.

8. ASH

ASH Member

It depends on how fast he is moving.

9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

If one mounts their long arm on a regular basis then then locating a deer in heavyforrest should be no problem with a 4x.

Wisdom and Zeek like this.
  10. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I like to think of myself as a long range hunter, it helps my ego. The truth is, the majority of game Ive killed is 75yds or less. On most deer maybe 50 yds or less. I keep my 4x12 on 4 almost all the time without issue hitting deer at 30 yds. Its not always ideal in thick cover or woods, due to the fact its harder to find the animal in the scope. Ive been using a 2.5FX for a few years and have killed deer out to 200 yds, although that's pushing the range of my eyesight. I also have several 3x9, I always regret not buying a 4x12 due to more versatility. The great thing about the new VXII's is the turrets. They still have the screw down caps, but also have the finger turrets underneath. The old Leupolds have the slot, which makes field adjustment difficult. I'll see if I can get a pic of it at 50 yds. All of my newer scopes have the LR duplex which is a hybrid between tactical and practical.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-4-12x40mm/

Zeek likes this.
  11. lcmcrumley

lcmcrumley Member

Check out the Noghtforce SHV line. The 3.5-10 would do nicely out to 600. You can step it up to the 4-14 if you like more power. You can also pick the 4-14 up in FFP.

Great hunting glass without all the bells and whistles as the more tactical style NF glass.

12. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

My most used deer rifle mounts a 2.5-8x Leupold. Walking around I generally leave it on 4x or 5x (half way between the 4x and 6x marks). No problem at all snap shooting hogs when they jump in close or finding deer/hog/goat sized game when I shoulder it. Early in the year I had a "dead hog" jump up and take a run past me, after side stepping I snap shot with both eyes open and put a round down between the shoulders at about 10yds both eyes open. Optic was on 8x at the time (as I had fired on that hog from about 200yds and walked over) and presented no issue. 4x will work just fine for you in close.

Zeek likes this.
  13. jeeter

jeeter Member

I too was wondering how Sara Jessica Parker made it into this thread.

Zeek likes this.
  14. artigas

artigas Member

What did you end up getting?

15. Expat

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  16. artigas

artigas Member

17. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I have the same model in the 6x24. I regret not getting a mil-dot reticle. These are pretty light weight compared to my razor gen 2.

18. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Nice choice buddy!

19. Expat

I feel like it's a good piece of equipment that will allow me the ability to train at different schools and see how far I want to wade into this pool.

I'm under no illusion that I'll be whacking taliban or the UN troops when they take over the Midwest or any other Red Dawn scenario. My main goal is to have a wider kill radius for stuff that goes in the freezer. (And I mean venison, you Dahmer types!). I hunt in woods mostly but bordering all of the woods are typically large fields of beans or corn. Being hidden on a hedgerow and having the ability to reach out 600 yards or so, would really increase my chances.

I've got a high speed sniper class coming up so I'll post some photos from that.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  20. Zeek

Zeek Member