Night Vision

Discussion in 'For Sale / Trade' started by GrobTheory, Aug 1, 2023.

1. GrobTheory

GrobTheory Member

Timestamp:

https://imgur.com/a/lcYrfc0

So this whole thing started when I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole wanting to learn about budget night vision. I bought a Nightfox Red device which was very well reviewed.

I LOVED the device but it needed a couple big improvements.

At first you just have the strap to use it like binoculars or it had a cheap bungee headband that flops all over the place and you can’t even walk around the yard with it, not at all what I had in mind.

But the device itself seemed pretty good quality, so I started wondering what it might look like if it was set up right.

Bought the helmet, then had to re-drill and mount the GoPro mount 1.5 inches higher, added washers to make it stronger.

Then I realized the built in infrared emitters aren’t as powerful as I’d like, so added an external IR flashlight with a zoom/beam fisheye lens adjustment and it’s much better visibility.

Then I realized the field of vision was too narrow for the wider external mounted IR light, so I added a wide angle camera lens to the front of the Nightfox and it improved the overall functionality tenfold, SO much better.

Then I added a battery backup for longer life on back that counter balances the weight on the front and makes it wear more comfortably. If you add an extra 18650 IR flashlight battery it’s even better. Also handy that the device takes the same battery, so the flashlight itself is a backup battery if needed.

Another awesome thing I tested and planned to do but didn’t get a chance, is buying a weapon light with an IR laser such as the Olight BALDR IR was the one I tested and it worked perfectly. That way wherever you point your weapon you can see the laser point and no one else can. Didn’t get a chance to do any night shooting but walking through the woods in the dark shining the laser was fun when I tested it.

The bottom line is this, if you were to take this device and go to war against an enemy with true gen 3 night vision, they will see you and you will die.

BUT, if you have this and the person or animal or place you are observing does not, you can see them pretty much perfectly in pitch black and put an invisible laser on them if you choose to. Lots of good uses for anyone who wants to see in the dark but doesn’t have $10k-40k for a military setup. Also just a freaking blast to play with.

$499

Jtallen83 and DiscoveryLover like this.