New mora full tang…2023…. Yep

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stayinsharp, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

You’re hearing it from me first (most likely)…. I stumbled on this early this morning… it’s full tang, bolt on ash scales, 90 degree spine and a new blade shape that is somewhere between the companion and the Garberg. This thing looks incredible. Not sure of what the steel is gonna be like (it says recycled stainless) but if it’s anything like their 14C28N or their carbon…. This thing will be incredible.
    https://morakniv.se/en/product/lok-blackblade-s-ash-wood/

But I will say… this costs wayyyy too much for me to jump in. Even as a mora fan, I can’t justify the price when I could buy another 3 or 4 garbergs for that cost!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    Jtallen83 likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

$239 EUROS :confused: That's insane . That's almost $348 CAD , before $55 CAD shipping , plus CBSA customs duties of around $30 CAD

THATS ABSOLUTELY BONKERS. I could buy a GrayManKnives , Busse, etc etc for that cost.

heck I've got custom made scandi Bushcraft knives (ML Knives, Fiddleback Forge etc)in high end carbon steel , that cost less than that ugly stainless blade o_O

Jtallen83 and Stayinsharp like this.
  3. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

I agree. The price is way way out of the realm of sensibility. I’d pay $110 US for that… max. I’ve purchased numerous (and I mean like 10) LT Wrights on the used market for 150 or less. To me, the knife looks exactly like what people have been asking for from Mora for years now…. But they screwed up putting it at a price point that competes with Bark River, LTWK, Benchmade Pukko, small custom makers, and Castrom. For the money you can get much better handles, much better steel, and pay the money to a smaller company. I just thought I’d post this so people were aware of its existence.

Bushman5 and ASH like this.
  4. erik

erik Member

yes, it's the same stainless they typically use - they're just making a point that the supplier they use typically adds in a significant fraction of cutoffs from other processes - just like every other smelter -- but making it sound innovative and "greta friendly"...

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. ASH

ASH Member

They should stick to cheap disposables.

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

I agree. Although it’s cool to see this, I don’t think it was needed…. They’re really good at what they do, and stand out in the market for what they have stood for. I wouldn’t even call their previous line ups “disposable”. They can be in service for years and years. I have a mora 711 that has been used for over 13 years now. Have beaten it to hell and back and it’s still a razor sharp, comfy handled, dependable knife.

Mora is for those of us who want to get a knife that does a really good job at being a knife and don’t really care about the aesthetic. This price point is just was too high when you have some other options in this range that are a third… a fifth… or even a 10th of the price that will do the same job.

Bushman5 and ASH like this.
  7. ASH

ASH Member

I meant they are economic enough to treat as disposable. You can buy a bunch of them and leave them scattered around in different packs and stuff.

Bushman5 and Stayinsharp like this.
  8. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

Facts. I have a few garbergs. The design just works perfect for me. The steel is very similar to an o1 or 10-95. And I buy them when they do down to $60 bucks. I’ve traded or sold most of my high end stuff and have been working with the principle that getting really efficient with one design makes you more effective and efficient in an emergency.

TerryD likes this.
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

The Mora Companion is the best valued knife on the market IMHO. I’ve used them probably more than any knife I have. The Garberg is awesome as well but the price is 6 times the Companion. It’s interesting that Mora is stepping into a very crowded market with this blade. I own a couple dozen Mora Products and love every one of them. However, this seems like an odd offering for the brand.

Stayinsharp likes this.
  10. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

I think the companion is absolutely the best valued knife on the market. A close second to me would be the Kansbol… (When they’re on sale for $32). At any rate, I find that in the big world of knives, we all have our preferences… my list of specs that I seek to find when considering a knife pretty much come down to 3.75-4.5 inch, scandi grind, comfy handle, carbon steel. There are so many choices from mora at $62.00 down to $10.00 that cover those specs…. I’ll never need to buy this new thing for over 150.

11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I'd pay about $50 CAD for this knife. At the extreme $$$ end.........

Stayinsharp likes this.
  12. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

I think the sheath would be worth 30.00 US. Not sure what that would be CAD… but this does look a lot like the BPS knives recipe. Such can be had for about 30-40 typically… but being mora, being a nicer leather, being kinda cool looking… I’d do 100 ish *

Bushman5 likes this.