Need Advice / Recommendation for EDC fixed blade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brandon PK, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Brandon PK

Brandon PK Member

Hey y'all. Looooooonnng time since I've posted, been living overseas.

Anywho, I'm in the market for a smallish fixed blade for iwb edc. (If stock sheath is mediocre, I'd just buy an Armatus Architect.)

I'm looking at everything from ESEE (Xancudo, Izula, CR2.5) to White River M1 to Rainier Fastpak to Bradford Guardian 3.2...

Cost isn't a major issue, but I'd rather buy one knife once than hunt around buying, trying, selling, etc. So, I'd appreciate any input / experience y'all have with these - ESPECIALLY if you can give head to head comparisons, pros / cons. I don't have huge sausage-finger hands (Izula with para-wrap gave comfy grip, when I had one). I'm looking for durability, edge-holding, toughness, (not impossible to sharpen), ergos, etc. I'd prob lean toward it being more of a "tool" than a tomoto slicer, though.

Thanks!
    B.

2. joker581

joker581 Member

An Izula II with an Armatus sheath is one of my favorite fixed blades for general carry use. I don't have enough sense to stick to just buying and carrying one knife, but if I did there's a good chance that'd be it.

C99c likes this.
  3. TerryD

TerryD Member

I have the CR2.5, two stainless Izula and the Xancudo.

For an EDC, the Xancudo in a JouFuu sheath is my choice every time. The Izulas follow behind. The CR2.5 is a great knife and I like carrying it, but the stainless is more worry free from corrosion.

Danny D and C99c like this.
  4. Brandon PK

Brandon PK Member

Thanks fellas!

5. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

An Izula with in Armatus sheath sits in my pliers pocket every day, close to five years now. It has become an extension of my hand so my bias is strong. Only time I have ever seen any orange color start on it was after opening bags of fertilizer and rock salt and it quickly disappeared with use. It gets used for tasks from digging out a sliver to cutting asparagus off below the ground. I put the mirror back on the edge about 2-3 times a year and that doesn't seem to take much effort.

C99c likes this.
  6. WCT

WCT Member

I only have experience with the Esee knives you mentioned. Based upon what you wrote, I would recommend a stainless Izula.

You said IWB, so consider sweat as it pertains to possible corrosion. I generally strip the powder coat off my blades, so stainless rules for me where corrosion isn’t something I want to deal with. If you don’t mind the powder coat, or if corrosion isn’t a concern, and want a knife that is tougher, go with the 1095 Izula. It will dull quicker but it’s easy to sharpen.

You also said tool over tomatoes, which for me at least dictates length and thickness. I prefer the Xancudo if I intend on using it on food just because it’s longer and thinner than the Izula. I find the Xancudo to be more versatile and so I get more mileage out of mine for this reason.

I think the Izula makes a better specifically non-food, edc knife. I like the way the Izula tapers down from handle to tip. Because of the taper, I find it to be the best-of-both-worlds in terms of finesse vs. harder use.

As for the CR 2.5, I think it is overbuilt, so I personally don’t care for it. If it tapered down like the Izula and Xancudo I would probably really enjoy it. That overbuilt-ness might be just what you’re looking for though.

Lastly, I don’t generally consider this myself, but if self-defense is a consideration for you, I think the geometry of the Izula is more practical to this end.

So all these points lead me toward suggesting the Izula. This knife also allows for the most varied handle options, including extended scales. (Though no scales might be preferable for IWB.) Given Izula’s are sold without scales, you can just buy it that way and built it up if you so prefer.

Hope that helps!

7. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

I would highly recommend taking a good look at the Xancudo... It checks a lot of boxes and is a great all around knife!

You also can't go wrong with a stainless Izula...

Jtallen83 and TerryD like this.
  8. Brandon PK

Brandon PK Member

Good, and much appreciated! I’m afraid I got bit by the bug, and ordered more than I need! I’m giving the white river, and wanna try, and the Izula II. I’m not committed to IWB, so I will just experiment. Actually ordered the TOPS MSK 2.5 - but that one may get sent back…

The main thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a Xancudo is those scales! I know it’s not about form over function, but I feel like I’d need to be wearing Zumba pants to match.

Strigidae and Adventurer like this.
  9. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Orange is the new black! :cool: If you ever have a chance to get one in your hand and try it out you might change your mind... :rolleyes:

TerryD likes this.
  10. WCT

WCT Member

If it helps, I felt the same way, so I dyed my scales black. Rit synthetic dye did the trick.

IMG_1191.jpeg

11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I hate orange anything......hate hate hate...... I think the Zancudo is a GREAT knfe but I have to keep it HIDDEN in the top of my hunting pack in case anyone sees me with a knife bearing orange anything....... !!!! This way I can use it when I am out alone and there is only me and some dead critter (who is not going to talk) about. I see orange on a knife and I think of the orange safety flags they put on old folks mobility carts !

Brandon PK and Strigidae like this.
  12. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

Thank you for that info, now I know I can save a few bucks on scales!

13. TerryD

TerryD Member

I like the orange because I can find it if I drop it. I've always liked the bright orange and venom green ESEE offers.

14. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

......I just vomited a little... :D

Honestly...... I am sickened by the orange synthetic winch rope on my truck. I am happy that the sheath on the first metre or so covers it when spooled for the most part.