Mora Garberg Carbon

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stayinsharp, Jan 27, 2024.

1. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

Alrighty everybody. I have a well used/well worn Mora carbon Garberg, and had a brand new one waiting as a back up….
    Well years have come and gone and to be honest, I’ve never felt the need to use the backup. I can’t see why or how I’d ever lose my trusty Garberg that has gone on so many trips.
    That said, I have found that after the numerous sharpenings and honing (prob 100), it has developed better edge retention, with an almost scandivex profile…. Or so I think. But the only real way to test this is to put it head to head with the newbie, out of the box, coming with a factory micro bevel. I will do my best to update the journey and usage.

I’ll be hoping to update some information on a few things to start:
    Is the microbevel vs scandivex really noticeable? If so, what task is it most noticeable for? If not… then why do so many folks make a big deal of microbevels.

Is it easier to touch up with the idea that the micro bevel is so slight that I’ll put the blade flat and stand it up slightly to contact the mice.

Does the one that’s been sharpened seem to hold a better edge because the temper is better the deeper you grind into the steel?

How good is the leather sheath vs the plastic/polymer. How does it wear. How versatile is it to carry. Can it be used for neck carry?

TerryD and ASH like this.
  2. ASH

ASH Member

I think it is pretty common to overheat the blades in the factory process and kinda burn the edge.

I feel like a micro bevel is mainly a easy way to get rid of a wire edge.

Stayinsharp likes this.
  3. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

I’ve actually heard in an interview by a mora rep that the micro bevel is from the buffing wheel stage in their final production. That said, I agree that I have had knives that were very brittle-edged out of the factory and ultimately got better with time. I’m thinking this is the case with my Garberg. But the best way to tell is to document through a test and I figure several folks here may find interest in the process. Thanks for the comment.

ASH likes this.
  4. ASH

ASH Member

Yeah, I was thinking about the end user standpoint when putting on a micro bevel. But a buffing wheel for a final strop makes sense. It's usually something I do in the kitchen just to make sure the knife isn't dull before I start cutting. It's going to be interesting reading your thoughts.