Medellin

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Jeff Randall, Mar 9, 2018.

1. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

Those guys were ‘the other inmates’! :D

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  2. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

Anyway......The Medellin

Med Peli Jackal.jpg

3. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

All Medellins purchased from Jackal Firearms come with a 1150 Pelican Case filled with Krugerrands.

Best deal going.

4. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

Don't forget, all the Krugerrands have also been washed in Unicorn tears!

5. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I have to admit this folder is growing on me. I cut some locust yesterday and had nice little fire in the backyard with the limbs that were bone dry. This poplar from the wood pile helped pass the time while I waited for the coals to get to a prime cooking state.

6. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

This thing is just so photogenic!

IMG_1379.JPG

7. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

8. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Wow. I'm going to have to start getting some from you.

9. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

Everyone's photos showcase prestine knives, do yinz even use your Medellín?

10. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

I wouldn't, he's one of those 'Brits'!

Strigidae and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  11. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

Prestige? Hardly, it gets used all day everyday.

What should I be using it for?

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  12. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

I'm ragging on you guys, the Medellin just seems to have a hard time looking dirty/used apparently. Mine hasn't been photo worthy in a while though, but it's my daily abuser.

13. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

It doesn’t show wear at all, the powder coat is rock solid and aside of it taking on the heavy work that my PR4 or 3Mil does I can’t see how I’m gonna tarnish it!

It’s a solid bit of kit and the more I live with it the more I realise why Aus8 was a sensible move!

Strigidae and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  14. thepierced

thepierced Member

Can you elaborate on this please? Mere curiosity from someone who doesn’t know a lot of info about steel.

15. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

Hello buddy, sorry only just responding to this, hadn’t noticed it. One slips through the net every now and again.

Do you mean my reference to Aus8? If so, it’s one of the cheaper tool steels, doesn’t hold a sharp edge as long but sharpens up quickly.

I’m not a steel expert, I’m just a guy who uses lots of blades and has been around the block a few times!

I won’t get into the ‘collectors versus users’ discussion, that could go on for ever! But Aus8 keeps the price down on this blade, makes it easy to maintain and comfortably sharp enough to do everything I’ve asked of it so far! (And that’s a lot)

:)

16. thepierced

thepierced Member

I appreciate the insight! I don't know a lot about steel either, just that some have more numbers after the dollar sign than others. I suppose at the end of the day if a knife is being used it's going to dull, right? Isn't that the point of a knife, to use the atoms at the edge of the blade to convince the atoms of the other object to stop holding hands ;) Just a matter of time before the knife atoms get tired of convincing the others and get dull.

17. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

You’ve hit the nail on the head buddy! And in fairness I’ve heard lots of explanations for knives going dull, that is by far my favourite

It’s a very divisive subject (puts tin-hat on) but my experience tells me that lots of people who get ‘hung-up’ in Knife steel are collectors who like the the kudos of having ‘the best’ version of that particular make, even if the only measure for that is cost!

I’m fortunate to have used knives professionally for most of my adult life. They are a work tool to me, occasionally a thing of beauty, but 98% of the time they do a job! I’ve seen some of the worlds best hunters, craftsman and artisans, they seldom use high quality/cost steel in their tools, unless it’s a gimmick or sponsorship dictating otherwise!

Aus8 is great, it cuts well and sharpens almost instantly! When I’m up to my elbows in wild-Boar guts I’ve never been more glad of those two points!

But, and this is the killer blow, I found my favourite steel a while back, and it’s what keeps brining me back to ESEE!

In my humble opinion, 1095 has everything!

Nice talking to you bud!

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  18. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

I agree with Simon about 1095; that steel and the warranty are the reason I exclusively use Esee knives. As far as I've been branching out lately is by getting crazy and buying Expat knives too.

1095 is definitely my go to steel composition, but the Aus-8 has been growing on me with this Medellín. When I got to work yesterday my blade was so dull it was a pointed butter knife. I did a progression of sandpaper from 320 grit (to reshape) up to 3000 grit (to smooth/look nice). Took me about 10 minutes and now my Medellín is shaving sharp again. And this is coming from someone that has never used a knofe sharpening system, and is known to run their blade across a grinder's flap disc to get an edge.

The Marsh Gorilla and UK Jackal like this.
  19. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

Couldn't agree more!

The Medellin is a (doesn't say it often) fantastic bit of kit! But it is what it is, no pretences and no delusions of grandeur!

I love it, use it to death but would barter it away for a tank of fuel in Eastern Europe in a heartbeat! That's what it was made for!

20. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Well said!!!! I've always liked Aus8 for the reasons you mentioned. 1095 is my hands down favorite to use and for the last year ive grown to like D2 a lot after buying a Benchmade Adamas for a steal and putt it through its paces.

Zeek and UK Jackal like this.