Kitchen knives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeek, Dec 23, 2016.

1. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Two of them are so old the marking have been gone for a while. I bought them in a lot with a bunch of other used restaurant equipment years ago. I've searched to try to find them on the internet to no avail. I'll try to remember to post some pics of them after vacation.
    The other two are a Kitchenaid chefs knife (I know, crazy, but I love the belly on it) and a Victorinox slicer.

Zeek likes this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

This is my favorite knife so far and now it's $65 so definitely worth it.

RedEyedHog likes this.
  3. Zeek

Zeek Member

Would love to have something like this... but having a hard time spending $380 on something I would use almost everyday. I mean... usually anything that expensive gets packed away in the safe and only used once or twice a year. :D
    takeda-classic-gyuto-240mm-medium-22.png

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Delkancott, Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

I like this one too... A little smaller. Seems like it would make a good steak knife.
    Schnoor Hunter - SH4.0
    SSweb-57-1200x675.jpg

5. RedEyedHog

Zeek likes this.
  6. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I like the fact you are buying cleavers for all of your employees and customers.

Bushman5, C99c, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  7. RedEyedHog

My pleasure. I like the fact that your price point is competitive with United Cutlery. Anything I can do to support the brand.

Bushman5, Strigidae and C99c like this.
  8. daizee

daizee Member

Right now I'm testing high hardness AEB-L (~61-62Rc w/ sub-zero quench), and am pretty happy so far. I'm itching to make a full-size kitchen blade from it.

Zeek likes this.
  9. ellamacrow

ellamacrow BANNED AI BOT

Time for some new kitchen knives. We've had a cheap set of Ginsu knives for about 5 years, and I've got no big complaints. They are breaking in the handle now, but they were 60 bucks and I got what I paid for. Anybody got a good set to recommend shieldon knives in the $150 and under range? I'm not looking to break the bank, but I figure some of these "budget" knives are better than others.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  10. BlueMule

BlueMule Member

When I started driving as a truck driver 8 years ago my trainer gifted me this Buck 941 Spreader. At some point I bent the blade and eventually contacted Buck about repairing it but they told me it would have to be a replacement, so I kept it. A month or so ago I heated the blade and bent it back to straight applying weight onto the blade from the other side and that seems to have worked pretty well minus the discoloration on the blade itself. This has been my go to kitchen knife and a knife I take in my truck with me when I’m on the road. I recently found out they made a sheath for it a few years back so I’m going to find one of those so I don’t have to worry about cutting my hand fishing it out of my trucks cabinet. I also saw that Cutco makes a similar knife but after handling it at the booth they had at the fair I will stick with my Buck. I’d definitely recommend this knife to anyone, especially if you like making sandwiches haha

Strigidae and anrkst6973 like this.
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I’m not cheap per se, but I do want decent bang for my buck. Most of my collection is user Victorinox. It reasonable, available, and works. Dexter Russell is also good. I’ve used a lot of it in commercial work.
    I enjoy messing around in the kitchen so I probably have…ok absolutely have, way more knives than are needed. Realistically a chefs, santoku, boning knife and a cleaver should cover just about everything. Maybe a bread knife to fill the set.

12. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

I’ve been using these Shun classics for almost a year now. I’ve definitely liked them. 1210F5A8-15C5-4D12-A88D-1414EB4DC48D.jpeg

anrkst6973 likes this.
  13. BlueMule

BlueMule Member

I picked up this Ka Bar carving set for $8 at a local antique store a few weeks ago. I'm gonna have to reprofile the tip of the knife, which I've never done before but I think it will work nice cutting into the turkey this November

Attached Files: